Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: What dread disease were you CERTAIN you had?  (Read 1003 times)

Offline NytViolet

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
What dread disease were you CERTAIN you had?
« on: May 19, 2014, 05:03:18 PM »
In my 20+ years of H.A., I've always feared things that have vague symptoms are difficult to catch early accompanied by lower survival rates, e.g. ALS, pancreatic ca, liver ca, heart disease, bone ca, lung, ca, HIV, ovarian ca, etc.  The word "silent killer" send chills down my spine. If you think about it, many illnesses have vague symptoms that healthy people also experience (fatigue, headaches, twitching, lightheadedness, pain or discomfort in the chest, night sweats, diarrhea/constipation, etc.).  I have literally seen myself develop the symptoms of certain diseases to the point where I am 100% certain I have it (somatization disorder), then the Googling begins   :sign0195:. Despite perfectly normal blood-work last week, in February and also last December, and general well-being (although I do have fibromyalgia), I will become convinced that I'm dying of some dread-disease. For about 9 months I have had tenderness when I press on the lower left rib cage (down near my waist).  If I sleep on my left side, it's very painful when I first wake, but gets better as the day progresses (so a normal person would think, "muscular pain / poor sleeping posture"), but not me.  I prefer to imagine metastatic cancer to the bone, pancreas problems, lung ca, etc..  What disease were you CERTAIN you had (even to the point of developing symptoms) only to find out it's a mystery or something totally benign, and what was your coping strategy?  Love you guys  :loveface:
Bookmark and Share
God does not give us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Offline TyeDyedButterfly

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: What dread disease were you CERTAIN you had?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 05:22:25 PM »
I have had so many things or things I thought I have had or will have it is draining and each new pain brings more scary thoughts so for me I will list what  I can remember because I know I sure forget a lot!
MS, ALS, LUPUS,CANCER EVERYWHERE,HEART ATTACKS, KIDNEY FAILURE,BRAIN JUST STOPS,LUNG DISEASE, DEMENTIA , GOING INSANE and many more.

Many doctors and testing none of these has happened yet.!
Bookmark and Share
PEACE, LOVE AND HAPPINESS !

God is Good all the Time! All the Time God is Good! :)

Online Descent

• Rec's: 1
  • Only thing to fear is fear itself
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 05:34:34 PM »
I dunno about certain, but I've convinced myself of a lot of things...

Convinced myself I had: MS, ALS, Parkinson's, Meningitis, Water Intoxication, Brain Tumor, Lymphoma, Leukemia, some sort of lung disease, gastrointestinal bleeding, gallbladder problems, Thyroid Cancer, Heart Disease, etc. etc.

The mind is a dangerous thing. When you let it wander and have irrational free reign over you, it leads to bad things...
Bookmark and Share
Generally afraid of: Bacterial infections, toxic ingestions

Offline NytViolet

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 05:37:16 PM »
Wow, you guys get A+ for creativity. I haven't thought about thyroid disease yet lol. 
Bookmark and Share
God does not give us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Offline BeeDot

• Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 05:47:50 PM »
God, what have I NOT had might be a shorter answer, but the biggest ones and the ones that I keep coming back to are

heart disease, heart attack (which I literally think I'm having right this second), aortic aneurysm, angina, stroke, numerous lung diseases, going blind/deaf, cardiomyopathy, many many autoimmune diseases….mostly stuff to do with my heart, really. 

I hate that I live in fear of heart disease at the age of 24.  I know that heart problems can occur at any age, but it would be nice if it wasn't at the forefront of my mind.  The only good that will come out of ACTUALLY having a heart problem now will be being able to say I Told You So.  but that's a bit of too-dark humour: )
Bookmark and Share
For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe.  -Author Unknown

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 05:48:31 PM »
I have the same worries you do - the vague but deadly illnesses!

I've been dead sure I had a brain tumor several times now.  Lymphoma a few times (still think I have that but here's hoping I'm wrong again); leukemia a couple of times.  Ovarian cancer once, but in that case, I had a HUGE (think grapefruit) cyst and elevated tumor marker levels, so I don't think I was being too hypochondriacal then - though it turned out to be nothing (well, endometriosis, not a huge deal in my case - it's recurred post-surgery but I haven't had problems from it). 

I've worried about other things like MS, but wasn't dead-certain I had them.
Bookmark and Share

Offline NytViolet

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 05:56:54 PM »
Mollyfin, you made me chuckle... it's almost funny when something actually DOES happen to an HA sufferer. I sometimes think we handle it better because we're EXPECTING stuff to happen. Yes, like you, I'm afraid of things that meet the following criteria:  1) hard to diagnose 2) vague symptoms 3) poor prognosis.  The only thing I have is fibromyalgia and HBP (fibromyalgia is a pain in the butt, because it causes so many weird symptoms, and you're always asking yourself, "is this just fibro, or something dire?").  I bet we both make it to 100
Bookmark and Share

Offline Caribou

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 06:13:21 PM »
There's quite a few of them for me.  I was certain I had leukemia (now it's creeping back in my head), a heart attack, brain tumor, pancreatic cancer, and colon cancer.  I'm only 20 years old, yet I am constantly worrying about all of these diseases.  Google is just cruel...you type in one problem, and immediately it gives you the worst case scenario. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline xxAmyxx

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 06:32:42 PM »
Years ago I was CONVINCED I had MS. These days it's all sorts of cancer, I think I prefer the MS days... ::)
Bookmark and Share

Offline WaterBottleDogFish

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 07:30:19 PM »
My gateway disease that started aaaallll my other fears was my fear of rabies. I worked with dogs and it never once crossed my mind until 8 months after I stopped working with any. One night I saw a rabies article and read the symptoms and what it does and ohhhh man did I mess myself up good! I WAS CONVINCED I had it! Even though there was no way I could have got it but it started it all...and now ive had a fear of cancer, lupus, brain tumors, something wrong with my lungs. The list goes on but im trying to do better....its just really hhaaaarrrdd!!  :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
Bookmark and Share

Offline NytViolet

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 07:43:16 PM »
xxAMYxx I agree with you... my MS fears seem mild compared to the fears of some of the scarier things.  I'm nearly 50, so now it's worse because i see people say stuff like, "But you're only 27, and it's VERY RARE before age 50".... greeeeaaaatttt! LOL   It's not unusual to see 50 y/o people get all sorts of nasty things.  The only thing that keeps me sane is my mother (who at 80 years old) is in PERFECT health -- doesn't even take any meds.  Also, my father lived to be 91, so I've got that going for me.  I wish I could say that HA goes away as you mature... it doesn't go away, but you have longer periods between freak-outs because you know your body a little better and realize that every odd sensation is not the onset of an illness. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline CrazyDachshundLady

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 08:10:21 PM »
I've had diabetes, colon cancer (probably 3 times), blood clots, brain tumour, nasal cavity tumour, leukaemia, lymphoma, stomach cancer, HIV, lung cancer, skin cancer, and recently breast cancer. I really need to stop paying attention to these little things. When I actually get sick, I know that I'm actually sick so I expect my body would actually let me know if I really had a problem. It wouldn't be just a little ache.
Bookmark and Share

Offline IAMHEALTHY

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, 08:35:04 PM »
There's quite a few of them for me.  I was certain I had leukemia (now it's creeping back in my head), a heart attack, brain tumor, pancreatic cancer, and colon cancer.  I'm only 20 years old, yet I am constantly worrying about all of these diseases.  Google is just cruel...you type in one problem, and immediately it gives you the worst case scenario.

What were your "pancreatic cancer" symptoms?

Also if you had stool symptoms
Bookmark and Share

Offline Smalm

• Live everyday like it's your last for one day will be your last!
  • Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • treatment in progress, better life, no HA!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2014, 09:23:47 PM »
rabies, skin cancer, breast cancer, any cancer, premature death of any premie related kind, diabeties, weight related diseases and conditions, food born illnesses like e-coli, overdose on anything like water, salt, etc.,gum diseases, the plauge, anything that comes from an animal, this list could go on and on , death is the end result I fear. I am going through theraphy but it never seems like enough... I am also eating healthier and exercising more, but as I said it never seems like enough my anxiety just keeps coming back! I think it's hormonal but my dad won't give my a blood test to test that theory...I fear a lot...
Bookmark and Share
On medication, which is doing great! I love the major improvements it has made for me and he people around me for when I have anxiety I make others suffer, but not anymore!

Offline chunkymonkey

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2014, 10:12:05 PM »
Heart disease, brain tumor, sinus tumor, oral cancer, jaw tumor, hypothyroid, hyperthyroid, leukemia, endocarditis (still have this fear), blood infection,
Bookmark and Share

Tags: