Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: issues falling asleep  (Read 127 times)

Offline eddy1608

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
issues falling asleep
« on: May 19, 2014, 03:19:32 PM »
i get this on and of a lot lately my sleep pattern is awful i tend to sleep on the sofa until like 4/5am which isnt deep sleep i also wake up here and there as i leave the tv on. anyway when i am nodding of i get like a jolt or missed breath and gasp for air and when i sit up it goes away. it doesnt do it when i am laying in bed falling asleep though which i find a bit weird. any ideas?
cheers guys
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 37
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: issues falling asleep
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 05:24:47 PM »
Normal, that happens to me pretty often.  It scares the crap outta me every time but I don't think it's something to worry about!
Bookmark and Share

Offline JunoX

• No One Rules If No One Obeys
  • Rec's: 17
  • Mood: Grumpy
    Grumpy
  • Where the mind goes, the body follows.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 05:53:52 PM »
Lots of anxiety sufferers go through this and I've had this symptom for decades. Its a type nightmare, a sleep abnormality really, caused by anxiety. Sort of like the nightmare of feeling paralysis during sleep.

Basically what happens is that your not suppose to be aware of your breathing slowing down while falling asleep but for some reason, caused by anxiety, you are. This immediately jolts you awake by giving you a smothering feeling like you've stopped breathing but you haven't, your just aware that your breathing has slowed.

I have spent years analyzing this symptom on my myself and testing what its been, when its happened to me and what i described above is exactly what is occurring. It usually occurs when your sleeping in an awkward, unusual or uncomfortable position or if your having indigestion, a headache or any other physical disturbance.

Its normal for us with anxiety and completely benign. It will go away on its own.
Bookmark and Share
The woods are lovely, dark and deep. 
But I have promises to keep, 
And miles to go before I sleep, 
And miles to go before I sleep.
~Robert Frost

Online Anxiousmind77

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 11:21:17 PM »
This is something ive dealt w a lot! I hate it. When it happens, I usually just wake up for a sec then go right back to bed. But the next day I'll think about it then I get upset. Which sometimes can start a pattern. Because before bed I'll think " I hope that doesn't happen again" but of course it does because I'm anxious and thinking about it. So yeah I think it's pretty common! It's scary but also not that abnormal and it's really no reason to worry about it too much. Take care. :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 08:15:05 AM »
Stress, being overtired, what you ate or drank etc., can all cause odd sleep sensations.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Tags: