Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Sick and tired of being sick and tired  (Read 184 times)

Offline sarahjxde

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Sick and tired of being sick and tired
« on: May 19, 2014, 12:41:35 AM »
I am really tired of my life. For six months, I've been scared to go into public and simply sit in a classroom without the fear of passing out. I can't do anything with my life anymore after developing this phobia. I can't go out, I can't go on vacation, I'm scared to drive, can't do anything with this fear. I'm even afraid to walk because what of get dizzy and fall. All I do is stay home, Which should be my happy place, but now this passing phobia is in my house. I'm only 20 years old , I should be carefree and have tons of friends and love my life. I can't live with this anxiety and phobia anymore. It's pitiful that I'm scared to go to public because I might get dizzy and fall to the ground. I'm tired of going to. A therapist and just sitting and talking , it does nothing. I'm tired of taking zoloft everyday and having headaches everyday. I just want to be normal how I was before this random fear happened to me. Sorry to ramble, just feeling hopeless. 
Bookmark and Share

Online Cuchculan

• Rec's: 167
    • Poke This Member
Re: Sick and tired of being sick and tired
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 06:06:30 AM »
Time to find a new therapist. A better one. Let it be known that you would like one who deals with exposure therapy. It is a hard form of therapy. But we want you back out there enjoying that life of yours again. This is the route to take. It is done slowly. We never do things too fast. One small step at a time. If it was me I would begin with my garden. It is right beside the house. You may feel bad when you go out. But from what you said, you feel bad when you are in the house as well. I would rather feel bad outside the house. Now let us clear up one thing. You are not going to pass out. That is just an irrational fear. I believe you are going through some form of depersonalization. Makes you feel out of it. Can make the path / ground look a bit further away than it really is. I have been there before. Ten years in my house looking out the bedroom window. Watching life go by. Wanting to be part of it. It is up to you to believe in yourself. Believe that you can fight back. I won't even pretend it will be easy. Worst nightmare to begin with. Those feelings you spent years running away from, you will be inviting to come on now. I know. Sounds frightening. But that is why we begin in the garden. Because it is right beside your house. Or even the local road. I always had an MP3 player with me. Good to have music as a distraction. Those bad feelings will come on. Now the challenge. Not to run away back into that house. We can say 5 minutes to begin with. Not a big ask. You see they are just feelings. Bad ones. The mind is used to them. It is used to them as danger signals. It feels them come on it has you ready to run. That is what we have to change. The more you get used to not running away the weaker those feelings become over time. I would look for a good therapist to begin with. Explain that you want help with exposure therapy. Keep a journal of everything you do. No matter how bad it may seem, there is always a road back. Trust me on that one. I do be out every day now. Trains, buses and have even hopped to another country twice. Just takes a lot of hard work. Medication can be used along with therapy. Don't give up on us. Believe in yourself and you will beat this back.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Julie A. Cook

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 07:49:26 AM »
THe Lovable Irish Rogue is right.  Don't give up.  Expose yourself to the fear and embrace it.  It's hard.  Your mind has formed a pattern and you have to break it.   Some therapists are right for you and some aren't.  It might be time to switch, and perhaps try a new med along with anxiolytic.

You are young,  You have your whole life ahead of you.  You will be fine.  It takes time, patience and hard work.

Best regards,

Julie
Bookmark and Share

Offline sarahjxde

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 03:51:32 PM »
Thank you both. That is good advice. I'm trying to get out more but it's a scary feeling. There's good days and bad days but I'm trying to bring my old life back
Bookmark and Share

Tags: