Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Anxiety medication reviews  (Read 135 times)

Online famv5

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Anxiety medication reviews
« on: May 18, 2014, 06:43:51 PM »
So my anxiety has been through the roof for the past few days.  It's all due to heart palpitations.  They just come out of nowhere and then set my day off from there.  I made my first appointment with a cardiologist for Tuesday to hopefully get some answers.

In the meantime, I've been thinking more and more about anxiety medications.  I am 46 years old now but when I was in my 20's I was on a low dose of Xanax.  I was in a bad marriage at the time and as soon as I divorced, I didn't need another pill of medication whatsoever.

Off and on over the years, I would have anxiety spells but learned to deal with them on my own.  However, over the past six months it seems more and more difficult to do that.  My primary physician has offered to put me on anxiety medicine.  She told me she did not like Xanax but would recommend something like Prozac.  Every time I hear that name I just relate it to stories of people killing themselves,etc., and it was blamed on Prozac.

So, what I would like to know from those of you taking medicine for your anxiety, what are you taking, does it help and are there any side effects?  Ideally, I would want something that I could take randomly or just when I felt I needed it.  Something that doesn't have side effects and is not addictive.  Is there any such thing?

Right now, I find that having a cup of chamomile tea works wonders for me in the sense of calming me, however, I can't just drink that all day.

Thank you for your help with this.  As much as I want to do this without medication, I am worried that the anxiety that I am not able to control is actually do my body more harm than good.
Bookmark and Share
"Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths" - Charles H. Spurgeon

Offline soaringfalcon

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anxiety medication reviews
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 07:08:45 PM »
I take 30mg of Celexa daily.  I have Xanax as needed.  I rarely need the Xanax anymore.  I think the reason most Drs don't like Xanax is that it can be habit forming and very difficult to wean off of.

The only side effect I have from Celexa is increased sweating.  I probably had better control at 40 mg but I had increased side effects so I moved down to 30.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 35
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 07:40:21 PM »
I take clonazepam for anxiety.  It works really well but can be addictive.  I've never had any side effects except sometimes mild tiredness.
Bookmark and Share

Online famv5

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 09:34:37 PM »
Thank you for the replies. 

Anyone else?  Is there possibly a thread or sticky not on this topic that maybe I've missed?

I'd really like to hear good and bad about a variety of medications. 
Bookmark and Share
"Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths" - Charles H. Spurgeon

Offline greend

• Rec's: 8
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 10:15:23 PM »
I take cipralex. I find it has lowered my anxiety somewhat and has helped with depression. Antidepressants are probably best as they aren't addictive.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ProofAutumn8246

• Rec's: 1
  • They don't think it be like it is but it do.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 10:17:59 PM »
I was just put on Citalopram (Celexa) about two weeks ago. I felt a little nauseous at first but after the first few days I was fine, no other side effects! It's still a little early to be fulling the full effects of the medication, but I have noticed my anxiety has been more manageable.
Bookmark and Share
In the scheme of things it doesn't matter much.~

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 35
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 09:49:12 AM »
I do take zoloft for depression but I don't find that it helps with my anxiety very much; however everyone reacts differently to them.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Stressed Jumper

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 10:24:31 AM »
In my case Zoloft has worked wonders for my anxiety.  The start up side effects were no fun but once they went away I feel great!  That being said everyone is different.  F you do go the SSRI rout I would recommend asking for a benzo like xanax to help with the start up.  I used it as needed for the first three weeks but once the Zoloft kicked in I haven't needed it since.  Good luck!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: