Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: hurt gums; another panic attack  (Read 122 times)

Offline Fatal-Noogie

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
hurt gums; another panic attack
« on: May 18, 2014, 04:41:11 PM »
Last night my teeth/gums felt sore while brushing. I brushed them this morning to check and the tiniest little bit of blood came out of a corner where it meets the gum.

I had a panic attack right then and there in the bathroom. I couldn't control my breath. I started screaming and crying but I couldn't slow my breathing. I haven't had an attack where I lost control like that in 7 months. I can't afford to have another relapse into an anxiety episode that will last for months and derail my life like the last one did.

Normally I think about 'ending it' about once a week, but at times like this, the thoughts become intrusive. I feel like I would rather not live at all than to live where I don't even have the willpower to maintain my dignity. (Am I allowed to say that on this forum? It's a mental health issue I'm concerned with.)

I see a dentist every 6 months. I don't know if I should schedule another appointment ASAP or if they will just tell me to wait for it to heal and brush and floss more carefully/regularly in those areas.
Bookmark and Share
I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Offline Disaster_Dino

• Poke This Member
Re: hurt gums; another panic attack
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 05:12:05 PM »
This is COMPLETELY normal....If I don't keep up with brushing my gums every day, they can hurt when I brush them, and sometimes they bleed.

Believe me.....this is nothing you should get worried about.
Bookmark and Share
"everything will be alright in the end. If everything's not alright, it's not quite the end!"

Offline Fatal-Noogie

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 08:11:57 PM »
Thanks Disaster_Dino. That helps me relax.

I think I need to use both my mechanical and my manual toothbrush in my routine, because evidently I've been missing some spots.

Something else seems physiologically wrong with me today. I tried to walk to relax, but every 400meters or so I'd suddenly gasp/huff uncontrollably for a moment. I don't know if my subliminal worry for my teeth provokes these fear spasms. I haven't changed any medications either (except for quitting coffee 3 days ago).
Bookmark and Share

Offline Disaster_Dino

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 08:17:47 PM »
Listen, constant worrying and anxiety can screw you up real bad sometimes. Just try to relax and you'll be just fine.
Bookmark and Share
"everything will be alright in the end. If everything's not alright, it's not quite the end!"

Offline Fatal-Noogie

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 02:42:58 AM »
Well, that's the whole trick, isn't it? If we knew HOW to relax while our brain chemistry tells us otherwise, I'm sure most of us on anxiety zone would be better off. It's easier said than done.

(Incidentally, today was much better for me.)
Bookmark and Share

Offline orloveforme

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 02:46:44 AM »
Well, that's the whole trick, isn't it? If we knew HOW to relax while our brain chemistry tells us otherwise, I'm sure most of us on anxiety zone would be better off. It's easier said than done.

(Incidentally, today was much better for me.)
SO TRUE.
Even if I don't FEEL stressed about anything, my body is in a constant state of tension.
It is SO annoying  :traurig001:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 06:02:39 AM »
It's so odd I'd see this right this minute!  I had a part of my gum that was bothering me right over a molar, for days.  Finally I took dental floss and cleaned between them (because I know that an imbedded particle of food can cause gum irritation.  (a dentist told me that) Lo and behold a TINY piece of steak was imbedded in there and that along with blood on the floss was there.  I will wait now to see if that pain finally leaves.  I just did that RIGHT before sitting down and seeing this post!   LOL!   You may have something imbedded between your teeth, try flossing REALLY well.
The common thing that causes bleeding of the gums (which I get EVERY time I brush my teeth) is gingivitis.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ihadcancer

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 07:17:13 AM »
Had that happen once but my gums were very sore and a decent amount of blood.  When I calmed down I checked my electric toothbrush and saw that the ends had worn down to razor sharp.  Replaced the brush and now I check regularly to see if it's time for a new toothbrush!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 12:37:32 PM »
OK, just want to tell you as an update from my other post here - I just pressed on that gum and that pain is totally GONE.  It hurt for days and days until I got that tiny piece of meat out of there!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: