Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Anxiety over having to take sleep meds  (Read 119 times)

Offline wolverine6

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Anxiety over having to take sleep meds
« on: May 18, 2014, 11:52:32 AM »
Hello Forum:  I'm really struggling with some sleep issues related to anxiety lately.  My work schedule recently changed which requires me to get up much earlier each day.  I'ver had fear of not being able to fall asleep for at least three years.  It is so frustrating!!!  My PCP prescribed me Ambien a while back.  I absolutely HATE the fact that I have to take a Rx for sleep.  Granted, it's only 10mg of which I am only taking 5mg (split pill in half).  I've tried valerian root, melatonin and L-Theanine...but when my anxiety revs up, none of these do the trick.  I have struggled with anxiety my whole life and ususally handle it pretty well.  My therapist is always telling me it's no big deal to take a little Ambien when my anxiety is keeping me from falling to sleep.  I fear that I will become dependant on it.  If anyone out there has had similar struggles and can provide some advise, I would be grateful.

Bookmark and Share

Offline kconnors

• Rec's: 57
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anxiety over having to take sleep meds
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 02:26:40 PM »
Hi,

I have had long stretches (years at a time) of issues with sleep . . . now, what works for me but may not for you is having a semi-strict sleep schedule . . . even on weekends and holidays . . . .now, there are some special events that I bend the rules but I do not sleep in the next day or go to bed earlier at night to compensate . . . .  in addition, I have modified my lifestyle in terms of what I eat and exercise although it is not heavy duty, it is consistent in terms of walking . . . I also make sure that I allow myself 5 minutes to go through a list of the tough stuff and get it out of my mind and 15 or so minutes to dwell on the good accomplishments of the day and they don't have to be big accomplishments . . .anything that is positive is an accomplishment and finally, I have about 30 minutes of reading (not on a computer but on the printed) something that is not a thriller, etc. In fact, I found Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot stories to be rather calming . . . if it is a particularly bad night, then I have tapes that I listen to and that usually does the trick also . . .but, it is a process that takes time to train the brain . . . .so it is not a quick fix . . . and sometimes there are speed bumps but they become less and less . . .don't know if this helps . . . .but you might give it a try or some variation of it . . .take care, kc
Bookmark and Share

Tags: