Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Please help me, I'm terrified of jail. I have a court appearance. Please read.  (Read 811 times)

Offline Anne1221

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I can't imagine under any scenario in which you would be given jail time for that.  However, I like the advice you got about start making some phone calls and see if there is a fine associated with that ticket and that might calm you down. 
Bookmark and Share

Online Cuchculan

• Rec's: 210
    • Poke This Member
I wouldn't contest it at all. Maybe seek out legal help but tell them you don't wish to contest it. But see if there is a way you can put your side of the story across. By not contesting it, you are saving the court time and money. Which may be taken into account if you happen to get a friendly judge on the day. It is only if you plead not guilty they will give you a second court date to hear your case. Free legal aid might be available to you. It was a genuine mistake. One you will know not to make again.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline an0nym0us

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Well I wouldn't want to make unnecessary trouble or drag this out any longer than needed. I would also like to avoid a trial of any sort. I'm feeling overwhelmed by this whole situation. I do however, want to make sure my side is heard. I want to find the best way to accomplish this. I feel like I will come out better if I can make the judge understand that it was a foolish mistake on my part rather than an attempt to gain something through illicit means. My mother is a teacher and she is going to speak with a deputy who works at her school to see if he can give us any further insight into the matter. If I do need to seek legal assistance it would probably be (I hope) just a resource who would help me to understand exactly what I've been charged with and help me get a better idea of what my situation is.

I think this law exists to catch people who have deliberately concealed or manipulated their licence plate to disguise stolen cars, or other illegal activity. I understand now that I broke a law, and I am prepared to pay a fine for it (I currently lack the funds but I'm sure I could borrow from a family member and pay them back what I can't cover by myself at the moment) but I don't want a criminal record for something like this. My fear is that the fact that the law was broken will override my lack of ill intent in the eyes of a judge.

I was initially going to try to call the number of the court house today but now I'm thinking I want a bit more time to get a firmer grasp of the situation. I just want to know what to expect before I go charging ahead.

My cousin actually told me that she's heard that often times the police officer won't even show up to deal with petty misdemeanors like the one I've been charged with and the case ends up being thrown out. That's a hopeful thought, though I think it best not to rely of this possibility in lieu of any sort of actual preparation.
Bookmark and Share

Online Cuchculan

• Poke This Member
What can happen over here is a bit silly. It can take about a year or more before the people get letters to attend the court. Judges simply throw the cases out if they are silly little nothings. The police don't want to waste their own time either so fail to show. People done for not having train tickets on trains. A year to reach a court and then the person who caught you must be able to recognise you. This is were a lot of cases fall flat on their faces. After a year can someone say ' Yes I remember that person '. Only problem you might have if you are not going to contest it would be not having a say at all. The judge will say his piece and that will be that. Not contesting means accepting. You go and accept what the judge says. I would look into that aspect of things if you wish to get your view across. Keep us posted.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Stressed Jumper

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I really wouldn't worry.  I am in the US and when I lived in NY I dated a cop briefly...some of his stories were hilarious but no one would rake you over the coals for an honest mistake.  Heck he caught someone he thought was a drunk driver swerving all over the place...pulled them over...turned out it was a little old man with terrible eyesight.  Legally he had to give the guy a ticket but then he gave him a ride home.  When they went to court he recommended the charges be dropped so long as the old dude got new glasses and retook his drivers test.  Explain that it was a mistake and worst case scenario is going to be a small fine.
Bookmark and Share

Offline RedfoxThomas

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Smart
    Smart
  • Law Enforcement Agent
    • Poke This Member
I'm in law enforcement, and I'm telling you now, you are not going to jail for this.

This will be a slap on the wrist. Sit back and smile, you're good. I deal with this 2 times a week at least, and never have once seen someone get even a day in jail. That idiot cop was trying to make a name for himself.
Bookmark and Share

Online Cuchculan

• Poke This Member
She is more worried about it been on her record as a conviction and job interviews and the likes in the future.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline an0nym0us

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Yes, as Cuchculan said, my current fear is a mark on my record. RedfoxThomas, have you ever seen someone get a record from something like this? My mother was able to speak with the deputy at her school. First he said "it shouldn't be an issue, no big deal!" Then when my mother told him we were trying to avoid a criminal record he said "...Oh. Then you should hire a lawyer." He did tell us that some officers do something called "license plate bingo" or "bingo stops" where they randomly run the license plates of a car they can see. I have affixed the correct license plate and have double checked to make sure all of my paperwork is in order. Hopefully these things will play in my favor. It turns out I didn't need any tools at all; it just slides right in, I feel like an idiot.

If the police officers have any say in the matter I'm not sure if that will hurt or help me. When he first asked me why I hadn't switched the license plates I said I didn't even know how and lacked the proper tools. I thought he might have thought I was a car thief (he was treating me with a great deal of suspicion). I was just babbling-because that's what happens when I get scared. I'm now worried that I may have come across as someone who failed to follow the law out of laziness rather than ignorance. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure I was courteous, I do know that I thanked them for taking the time to explain the situation to me before I left to walk to the gas station to call a cab.

Again, thank you everyone for your wonderful replies. It really is very reassuring.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: