Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Allergy phobic and desperate for help.  (Read 215 times)

Offline Mika

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Allergy phobic and desperate for help.
« on: May 17, 2014, 07:04:11 PM »
First of all, let me just say how great it is my friend directed me to this site. I'm at my wit's end here. Everyday for weeks has been desperate crying. About a year ago, I suddenly became very afraid of food after having a bad time with takeout. Suddenly, my brain was telling me that I was allergic to everything I ate. At the same time, I became having extreme panic attacks whenever I ate something. It's not just food either. It's drinks or medications too. I haven't been in a restaurant or eaten fast food since then. I've lost +20lbs because of it. I'm 24 and I currently live back home with my mother, because it got so severe I lost my job and my apartment. I've been on a variety of pills that have lessened the daily anxiety, but never did anything for eating. I also see a therapist once a week and my family doctor a lot.

I had an allergic reaction to Amoxicillin a few years back, but even then I never panicked about it. When I started getting itchy, I called a nurse's hotline and they said to come into the ER if I started to wheeze, which I never did. I had hives, swollen fingers, itching, etc for two and a half weeks after that ONE pill. Yet I never felt panicked about it once. Before all this went down, I loved to eat. I'm too afraid to even put food in my mouth. I'll just stare at it an cry.

Now, I've been eating toast, rice, and water for the past few weeks, it's gotten so bad. I've also been crying nonstop lately. I want help so badly. I don't want my whole life to go on like this...I feel out of control and I hate my life so badly right now...I feel like I'm wasting away and I DON'T KNOW what to do about it anymore... I'm going in for a skin patch test soon for some peace of mind...
Bookmark and Share

Offline tnrocks

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Allergy phobic and desperate for help.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 10:24:21 PM »
Trust me I feel your pain. I too have anxiety about eating meat. I don't fear I am allergic but am afraid I'll get food poisoning. It got so bad every time my wife cooked something with meat I would let her eat first and then I would eat 4 hours later. I would go hungry till I felt it was safe to eat.

I'm also in therapy. I sort of helped myself through this one. I enjoy eating and not being able to eat in peace was horrifying. I said to myself over and over just do it! If I get sick then is it as bad as making myself sick constantly? It took me a while and I'm not fully over it but I am much better.

Take baby steps to overcome your fear. Don't over do anything quickly and shock yourself and make yourself worse. Do what you can. The first thing is you know you have a problem the second thing is how can you resolve it? Talk with your therapist about a plan of attack and go from there. I hope you kick it in the butt!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Mika

Exhausted
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 02:06:13 PM »
I scheduled an allergy test this coming Friday. They were going to get me in two weeks from now, but I ended up begging them for something earlier. Hopefully, with proof right there on paper will help ease my fears. I really hope so. After a year, this is getting tiring and frustrating.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Mika

Exhausted
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 06:12:19 PM »
I give up
Bookmark and Share

Tags: Food allergy allergies help