Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: So much for having a nice day out  (Read 241 times)

Offline idawmn

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
So much for having a nice day out
« on: May 17, 2014, 06:26:24 PM »
Now at 16 weeks I still suffer suffocation feeling 24/7.  No kidding I have no relief from it other than if I take an Ativan for sleep.   Sometimes I have woken up in the night and still feel the suffocation feeling but managed to get back to sleep.   Add to this head in fog, chest tightening at times, sometimes pain in chest and sometimes a feeling of soreness in the throat and I'm constantly tired. 

I have seen a therapist for the second time.  Next week I discuss an anti depressant with a meds doctor at this psychiatric wellness centre. 

Nothing is bothering me other than these symptoms.  I have tried everything to turn it all around and no luck.  I tell myself it's anxiety that's doing it, it can't kill me.  It doesn't work, the suffocation feeling is there 24/7 day and night.  I have had all physical tests done for lungs and heart, along with bloodwork.  All in the clear.

So thinking that maybe I would get lucky and my symptoms would disappear by getting out of town, really having something to look forward to, I  booked a room for my  husband and I in another city for an overnight stay.  Well that ended up being a bust.  We visited a few parks and ended up having to come home because of all these symptoms.   I don't feel well at all.   At 4:30 pm I'm heading to bed for the night.  I just don't enjoy life anymore.  I force myself to get out and do things but I can't enjoy myself.

I'm 55 years old and I get hit by a huge anxiety attack for the first time ever.   Please tell me there is hope for me.  I was hoping not to have to go the route of meds but with this having gone on for so long, I really think my brain is really messed up and I'm going to need the assistance of a med along with therapy to get this turned around.

Thanks for reading.

Bookmark and Share

Offline anxiouskathie

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 210
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: So much for having a nice day out
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 07:04:09 PM »
So sorry to hear your night didn't go as planned.  Anxiety can come on at any age....I didn't have it in my younger years either, and now it's here....I did finally go on meds and it made the difference between night and day for me.  I stayed away from meds for about a year, thinking the same as you, that I could talk myself out of.  I was wrong and had finally had enough and went to see a psychiatrist for anxiety and got on meds.  About 2 weeks later my old self started emerging again.  Today, I'm feeling fine, working, going out of town and simply enjoying life.  You'll get there again!!  Please feel free to message me on the forum if you'd like. 

Better days are ahead for you!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Rec's: 11
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 07:34:12 PM »
Kathie, that's great meds have helped you.  What kind of meds do you take, and what kind of anxiety do you have?

Ida, I can relate to your frustration.  I'm 55 and having been dealing with GAD which is a fairly constant sense of anxiety.  A
And even if it's not constant anxiety I feel, it's as if I only feel 50% of my old self.  Humor is only 50% as funny.  Life is only
50% as beautiful.  I enjoy my friends, you guessed it, only 50% as much.

I'm taking buspar and my doc just increased the dose.  I hope it helps.  I know when I dealt with depression, prozac was very helpful.
Crossing my fingers on buspar.
Bookmark and Share

Offline idawmn

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 07:35:59 PM »
Thanks so much for your response Kathie.  Now I know there is hope for me.   So glad to read that all is working out great for you.   I sent another message to your inbox.
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxiouskathie

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 210
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 10:02:43 PM »
World, I have panic and anxiety and I take Lexapro, which has been a life saver for me!  So sorry you are only getting 50% enjoyment out of everything!!!!  You deserve so much more!  I'll keep my fingers crossed the buspar increase works for you!!!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Rec's: 11
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 11:04:34 PM »

Thanks, Kathie.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: