Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?
Anxiety Forums & Chat Rooms

Chocolate, Sugar and Anxiety

Offline Raichoo

• Personal text
Chocolate, Sugar and Anxiety
« on: May 17, 2014, 04:03:57 PM »
Hello again. I had a question, not sure where to put it, but I thought this would be correct since this is about my diet, which I am attempting to change in the hopes it might decrease my anxiety. See, I am a chocaholic, or I was. I loved my chocolate and sugary things and whatnot but I read that they can possibly negatively impact anxiety. Seeing as I have run into people who cut these out from their diet and experienced a noticeable change in their anxiety levels I figured I'd give it a shot. I only recently started a few weeks ago, but combined with my few but effective calming mechanisms I have, it seems that it might be working a bit (at the moment it feels as if the anxiety is lurking right below the surface as it is not completely gone but better-but it has a tendency to jump up to what it was before). Thing is though, well, I miss my chocolate haha. I have been eating fruit to satisfy my sugar cravings but I still haven't found anything without artificial sugars and caffeine that I can use to satisfy my chocolate cravings. Does anyone know of any good things they use as chocolate substitutes? Thanks in advance.
Bookmark and Share

Offline e77

• Personal text
Re: Chocolate, Sugar and Anxiety
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 04:38:21 PM »
I too love chocolate and sweets and I agree with you that too much of these things makes me prone to anxiety/panic.  No easy replacement for these tasty treats.  Lately I've been trying portion control.  Having a little, or maybe a little more than that, but stopping before I binge and spreading out the time between the occasions I indulge.  I also monitor my weight and blood sugar as additional reminders to back off when Im starting to get into a pattern of too many sweets.  For the most part it has been helpful.  Its also nice to lose weight and have more even moods and more energy. 
Bookmark and Share