Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Lorazepam at night  (Read 170 times)

Offline Niceguy237

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Lorazepam at night
« on: May 17, 2014, 01:52:40 PM »
Question: need something for anxiety.  SSRI didn't work for me, so tried lorazepam.  Helped panic and anxiety, however can't take during day due to drowsiness.  So take 0.5 mg every night.  Seems to be putting a dent in constant worry and health anxiety.  But I am worried about dependence.  Any advice?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Drielly84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Lorazepam at night
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 03:56:33 PM »
Is that genetic Ativan?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Niceguy237

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 05:44:32 PM »
Yes
Bookmark and Share

Offline Drielly84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 05:47:36 PM »
I mean generic:( auto correct on phone
Bookmark and Share

Offline Drielly84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 05:50:35 PM »
What did u experience with SSRI's?
I have xanax and have only used it as needed
Sometimes I would need it more than other times
But I was always on an SSRI
I'm starting a new one now
I know first hand how tough the start up can be
 I'm always on here seeking help and reassurance
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 94
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 06:31:36 PM »
SSRI didn't work for me, so tried lorazepam.

There are other antidepressants, SNRIs, tricyclics, MAOIs, etc. What SSRIs have you tried, for how long and at what dose?

Helped panic and anxiety, however can't take during day due to drowsiness.

Tolerance to the sedating effects of benzodiazepines (BZDs) usually diminishes when they are taken daily for a few weeks.

But I am worried about dependence

You will probably become dependent if you take BZDs daily for a month or two. You would also become dependent on antidepressants and in both cases need to wean off them instead of quitting 'cold-turkey.'

The problem isn't that BZDs cause dependence, but that doctors are increasingly reluctant to prescribe them which makes them a risky daily treatment. Antidepressants or therapy are better long term bets with BZDs best reserved for occasional breakthrough anxiety, or to help ease you through the initial antidepressant side-effects.

Ian

Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Niceguy237

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 09:56:46 PM »
I tried Zoloft several years back at increasing doses over 6 months.  Didn't do much for me.  Went off, tired to go back on a few years later and my body didn't react well at all.  Bad insomnia and other side effects, so went off for good. 

I am taking the lowest dose of lorazepam they make once at night, never during day.  Don't really feel any dependence or desire to take during day due to drowsiness.  I do feel this is helping, my anxiety is lower after having taken these consistently for over a month, but I am concerned on dependence.

I will be talking to my doctor as I do feel I need something daily that works for anxiety.   
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2014, 11:57:58 PM »
I tried Zoloft several years back at increasing doses over 6 months.  Didn't do much for me.  Went off, tired to go back on a few years later and my body didn't react well at all.

So Zoloft is the only antidepressant you've tried?

Don't really feel any dependence

You won't as long as you're taking it. Dependence is only an issue when you stop.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Ringil

• Lost Cat
  • Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Ringil & The 3 Mouseketeers
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 01:37:28 AM »
I'm "dependent" on Alprazolam. I take .6 mg. (1/3 of a 2 mg. bar) every night before I go to sleep to preclude waking to an anxiety attack.

On some occasions, I have an attack starting up earlier. I will take a piece then, but it's not often.

So, it works for me. I'm not likely to outgrow anxiety attacks. A responsible adult seeking low doses of benzodiazepine is able to get a prescription. I don't find "dependence" to be a concern. People with Panic Disorder can not get "high" on these medications.

USUAL DISCLAIMER: I'm just some guy with Panic Disorder posting on the internet to see if I can be some comfort to others. I am definitely not a doctor.
Bookmark and Share
Anything I post is an opinion© and not necessarily a fact™. I've often benefitted from anecdotal guidance. Your mileage may vary.

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2014, 02:22:51 AM »
A responsible adult seeking low doses of benzodiazepine is able to get a prescription.

Unfortunately, this isn't true everywhere. Not many weeks go by here without someone reporting that their doctor is now unwilling to prescribe benzodiazepines long term and demanding they wean off within a few weeks, sometimes to discontinue them immediately. It is all male bovine manure, some antidepressants can be as hard to quit as benzodiazepines, but this is increasingly becoming the way it is.  :angry:

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ringil

• Lost Cat
  • Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Ringil & The 3 Mouseketeers
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2014, 06:28:48 PM »
Bookmark and Share
Anything I post is an opinion© and not necessarily a fact™. I've often benefitted from anecdotal guidance. Your mileage may vary.

Tags: