Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Paxil?  (Read 164 times)

Offline jennam22

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Paxil?
« on: May 17, 2014, 09:31:25 AM »
Hey there everyone. I went to my doctor the other day after suffering a panic attack at work (I've had a hard time dealing with anxiety and stress since my dad died) and my doctor didn't diagnose me as clinically depressed, but explained that I am in despair and he prescribed me Paxil for a short period of time until I felt better. Now, I went into the appointment knowing that medication could be an outcome, but to be honest, I do not want to be on medication, specifically Paxil after all of the research I've done on it's side effects and withdrawals.

Can anyone share their thoughts on Paxil? Whether it be that you are currently taking it and love/hate it, or if you've taken it in the past and switched/made a nice recovery? I've been researching more natural supplements that have similar benefits to SSRIs without all of the bad stuff (st. John's wort is something I frequently see and may try before possibly resorting to the big guns).

Any help would be so greatly appreciated.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 105
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Paxil?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 06:03:04 PM »
I've been researching more natural supplements that have similar benefits to SSRIs without all of the bad stuff (st. John's wort is something I frequently see and may try before possibly resorting to the big guns).

They may help with mild anxiety, but are unlikely to prevent panic attacks.

As for the Paxil, I think Celexa (citalopram) would be better. It usually produces few initial side-effects and is easier to discontinue.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline jennam22

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 08:50:51 AM »
Thank you for the information! I am hoping since I just had the one panic attack that it was just all my anxiety from the last couple of years coming to a head and I won't experience that ever again! I am going to give the sjw a shot before considering any antidepressants because they honestly terrify me. I'm hoping that the sjw in conjunction with seeing a psych and some other beneficial life changes will pull me out of this bottomless put once and for all!
Bookmark and Share

Offline flyaway

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 09:04:48 AM »
I am currently coming off paxil (should be meds free in a week or so, yay!).

I went on it due to very bad anxiety and it did really help me.  My anxiety wasn't completely gone, but it was so much more manageable.  I only had a few panic attacks on it, but they were during particularly bad times.

The first medication I was put on was citalopram, but ended up switching to paxil, as I felt it didn't really help my anxiety, and also I felt very flat on it, as though I had no emotions or empathy.  My moods on paxil were a lot more stable, and I felt a lot more like a human being.  I did have to adjust my doses a few times, but found that it was a smooth process.  I don't recall any side effects when I started taking either meds, and found they helped me very quickly.

I have made 2 attempts to come off paxil.  The first time I tapered FAR too quickly, and the side effects were horrendous.  I ended up going back on the meds, as it was so bad.

This time around I tapered much more slowly and found the side effects to be minimal - a bit of dizziness here and there, but that's all.

If I could go back to the beginning, I would have researched and tried alternative methods before going on medication, however I don't regret using medication as it has helped me through a lot of difficult times.  Sometimes we all need a bit of help.

The other thing to remember is that our bodies are all different, so what works for me won't necessarily work for you.  But good luck, and I hope you find a way to get through this - I am sure you will  :spineyes:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: