Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Please help calm my als fears.  (Read 174 times)

Offline jsnichols23

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Please help calm my als fears.
« on: May 16, 2014, 08:57:41 PM »
I am a 23rd old male. Decent shape athletically. I am so consumed with this fear again, it is nearly unbearable. I have been having on an off twitching in my left forearm muscle for two days. I was so concerned that these are my forearm muscle wasting I went to the local gym and lifted weights. I was able to bench over 185 and do tricep dips....I guess the thing that worries me is that als-- from what I read starts in one area and progresses-my twitching is in just one spot and it is very noticeable. It makes the skin bounce up and down.
Any reassurance/ thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Joshua
Bookmark and Share
For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:16

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 29
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Please help calm my als fears.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 12:07:18 AM »
Twitching without weakness means nothing.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Offline Descent

• Rec's: 1
  • Only thing to fear is fear itself
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 06:38:48 AM »
Twitching is also a late stage ALS symptom, it doesn't present like that. You're fine.
Bookmark and Share
Generally afraid of: Bacterial infections, toxic ingestions

Offline livelaughlove

• Rec's: 8
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 06:54:54 AM »
They are fasciculations and they are brought on by weight lifting/exercising. I have had them over a year. I think that when you get in shape and have more muscles... then when normal hormones circulate throughout the body which is a normal process... in people with more muscle mass than fat... the receptors are a little worn... so the receptors are wide open and sensitive to these circulating acids and hormones... thus the muscle quivers or "fasciculates". This is extremely common amongst athletic people. I have had them over a year. I talk to a lot of people that have had them for years and years. There is nothing dangerous about them... it just means you are in shape and it's just something you are going to have to live with. Things that make them worse are anything that the worn receptors have to deal with  such as caffeine, lactic acid after a workout or something simple like a 20 minute walk, hormonal changes such as when women have more circulating prostaglandins before their period, preservatives and chemicals in food, stress/cortisol... so basically you want to try to stay calm... meditate... eat fresh healthy whole foods... avoid chemicals... avoid foods high in neurotoxins or bacteria like shrimp and crabs... That;s basically all you can do. Welcome to the club.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: