Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS: I can't even swallow anymore. Not even my OWN SPIT  (Read 419 times)

Offline SE4000

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
That's true. I think it's anxiety + a scratchy throat. My throat feels that way and it makes me think I'll gag and vomit, and I have a huge fear of vomiting.

However, I'm getting better by the day. I still feel the need to be treated for HA in general and other things, but at least I'm not doing so badly now.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lazer

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Well, I suffer from OCD, 85% hypochondria. I experienced the same thing before I was diagnosed.  It was after three months of one thing happening after another.  From what I know, if it were anything serious, it would start off slowly with food and then eventually you would have difficulty swallowing liquids. The process would take months if not much longer.  What you have explained, wouldn't happen that quickly unless you have something large stuck in your throat, which you obviously DO NOT HAVE.  You couldn't have it, trust me.

Now the unfortunate part is that Hypochondria doesn't respond to Behavioral therapy.  Only medication can help with Hypochondria, if that is indeed what you have.

But like others have said here, it could be strong anxiety over something.  A fear of something, or some other form of anxiety.   Bottom line, if you do not have hypochondria, do what people here are suggesting, like focusing on other things.

I apologize if you have received similar answers here.  I'm a newbie but unfortunately, between being in the health care field and experiencing these things myself, I can relate to you big time.

Try, if you can, to repeat to yourself that it is nothing and see if that helps ok?

Good luck and all the best.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ihadcancer

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
About an hour ago my puppy was playing too rough with my old dog. I went to correct her verbally and choked on my own spit.  I'm STILL coughing. Of course, I googled and got scared but there's so much moisture in our lungs anyway that I KNOW this isn't going to kill me. 

NOW, I think my saliva is too thick and was spitting it out into a hand towel, too!

I think I've coughed so much that it's just a reflex now. I can breathe  fine through my nose but am afraid to swallow.

I actually choked on a small piece of food a few years ago. The coughing that followed that was horrible AND my body caused a bit of mucous to form and the food was expelled in that.  That's how it's supposed to work. 

The lungs are approximately 90% WATER. That tiny bit we inhaled (if it got past all the traps)  is not harmful. 

I'm so glad you shared your experience.  It helped ME calm down.   :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Offline SE4000

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
It does get better and worse. I'm eating, but I have this terrible habit right now where I have to brace myself by grabbing the table before swallowing food, even if it's been chewed to total mush. I eat very slowly and I'm afraid of every swallow.

I feel like my throat is scratchy and that if I swallow something, little pieces might get caught and it'll cause me to gag and vomit, or I'll just choke and die. I'm scared of swallowing anything. I'm absolutely sick of it and I need help. I need to see a doctor ASAP because I cannot live this way.

I don't believe anything is horribly wrong with my throat, but this scratchy feeling won't go away and it's driving me nuts. It's hard to drink water or eat for whatever reason, even though I know it's literally impossible to choke on food I've chewed down to mushy liquid. I don't know why I'm scared of swallowing even my own spit. I'm constantly overthinking it.

I've had this problem for a long time but it's never been this bad, I've never been afraid of swallowing water. I just need some kind of help, I have no idea what to do and I just feel like I'm going to lose 20 lbs, and I can't do that because I'm already too skinny.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: