Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS: I can't even swallow anymore. Not even my OWN SPIT  (Read 507 times)

Offline SE4000

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I don't know what happened exactly. I feel completely ridiculous right now. a week or two ago I started to notice that I couldn't even swallow water or food sometimes. Now I have to make ridiculous hand motions every time I swallow my own spit, I don't know why.

I can't even swallow my own spit. I'm so afraid of choking I keep "misfiring" and something weird happens in my throat where it seizes up and I panic. A doctor looked at my throat just yesterday and didn't say anything, I wasn't even afraid of this yesterday! I can't take it, I just nearly choked on my own spit!

I don't know why this started happening. I was just fine a few days ago and now I have this terrible anxiety about swallowing, why couldn't it be something else? I'm hungry and thirsty right now and I can't drink water or eat anything, I don't know what to do, I'm completely worried and flustered. How am I going to eat dinner?

I keep spitting out my own saliva onto a rag because I can't swallow all of it! What's happening, what's wrong with me? This is completely utterly ridiculous and I can't figure out why it's happening to me, I don't know what's wrong with my head, how am I going toe at?
Bookmark and Share

Offline IAMHEALTHY

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Sorry, will be praying for you :)

Sounds like really bad anxiety tho
Bookmark and Share

Offline SE4000

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
it is 100% anxiety.

I've had it for a long time but it suddenly got worse. If I figure out something to distract me it gets better but not much. I'm still scared to eat or drink water. I have a lot of free time these days and have just been trying to do anything to distract me and it's only working a little bit. I chew my food to a total mush but i'm still scared. I can't take it anymore
Bookmark and Share

Offline IAMHEALTHY

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
it is 100% anxiety.

I've had it for a long time but it suddenly got worse. If I figure out something to distract me it gets better but not much. I'm still scared to eat or drink water. I have a lot of free time these days and have just been trying to do anything to distract me and it's only working a little bit. I chew my food to a total mush but i'm still scared. I can't take it anymore

Can anxiety cause muscle pains and muscle tighness?

I have this now
Bookmark and Share

Offline SE4000

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I would not be surprised. If anxiety can cause my throat to mis-swallow then it can cause muscle pain. If I find an adequate distraction it helps a lot, but I'm still too scared to drink water. I've actually choked on water in these past few days and it was horrible.
Bookmark and Share

Offline SE4000

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I'm feeling a tiny bit better. I just ate dinner and sipped a little water. Dinner took over two hours but luckily I eat alone. this really can't last. I'm going to make an appointment to see my gp soon about anxiety because I can't take it anymore
Bookmark and Share

Offline livelaughlove

• Rec's: 8
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Would recommend upper endoscopy with biopsy of esophagus to exclude eosinophilic esophagitis. Also, you may have schatzki ring that needs to be dilated. Do you have asthma as well? Do you have fever? Have you ever had a food bolus before? How are you with chicken, beef, and soy products? Any allergy testing?
Bookmark and Share

Offline livelaughlove

• Rec's: 8
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Also rule out achalasia or motility disorder... may need a botox injection
Bookmark and Share

Online patmob

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Sorry you are going through this - you're simply overthinking what is normally an automated body action.

Try taking small sips with a straw?
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Since you're doing okay in your sleep, it's likely a mental block.  I used to feel like I had trouble breathing because I was overthinking the action. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
Does it feel like your throat muscles won't work at all? (like you GO to swallow but nothing is responding?)
If so, I get that if I go out to eat, it's been happening since I was about 7 years old.   It's really bad with warm liquids.
If it happens once in a restaurant then it KEEPS happening because I get all upset.  However I find that if I put my chin closer to my chest and swallow it's OK.   Sometimes it is REALLY bad and keep hitting the table (not hard or loud!) until I can swallow and tell the person, "I couldn't swallow!"  They just look at me like I'm nuts... then the rest of the meal I am petrified of it happening again, and the deal with putting my chin down and swallowing then works.
Bookmark and Share

Offline SE4000

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I can swallow, I just have this fear of choking. I just woke up and took a few small gulps of water. I don't think I have any conditions, this came on extremely suddenly and I think has to do with some psychological reaction to choking a few years ago combined with wearing a retainer that makes me feel like I'll swallow and choke on it if I'm not careful. Yes I'm doing fine in my sleep.

I'm not sick, nothing is wrong, I'm just stupid and full of anxiety. I would rather have gone back to cardiophobia than have this though.

What happens when I swallow is I tense up really badly and sometimes I just misfire because of it. A gastro checked my throat yesterday (just visually, stick your tongue out and say 'ahh' thing) and didn't find anything wrong. It's fully anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline SE4000

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I realized that I'm not completely alone and this isn't so ridiculous. Lots of people seem to get this fear. I'm doing better today and maybe it'll pass. I can eat and my mood affects it a lot. I'm still going to talk to my GP about a therapist, however.
Bookmark and Share

Offline SE4000

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I heard some forums don't like continuous posting like this, so let me know if this isn't okay and I'll stop

I realized my throat really is kind of irritated and it's causing some mild gagging with certain foods. I can still eat but it's a little difficult. I was just having some soup and a bit of the thick liquid got caught in my throat and I felt the scratchy irritation, so I guess I'll just take it easy until it goes away. I can eat and drink okay and still have a fear of gagging and choking but it's not as bad as yesterday was.

so I don't know how much of this is anxiety, probably most of it is but not 100%. Oh well.
Bookmark and Share

Online patmob

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I think molly made a great point - you're swallowing while you're asleep so its not a physical problem with your throat.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: