Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Having a hard time need reassurance !!! Please help  (Read 346 times)

Online Drielly84

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Having a hard time need reassurance !!! Please help
« on: May 16, 2014, 05:49:38 PM »
I don't even know where to begin......
Suffered with GAD anxiety panic depression since I was 17 was put on celexa and trazedone and did well on those after the initial adjustment period.  Even though I went through periods of high anxiety and GAD I managed and the past several years felt the meds weren't helping much but still did okay and used xanax sparingly to get me through the rough patches..... The minute I found out I was pregnant I stopped meds cold turkey and after the withdrawal did okay up until about 2 weeks ago where my panic attacks were almost every night and finally went to my OB who put me on 50 mg I zoloft after  4 days I went down to 25 mg to see if the side effects would lessen particularly the insomnia and breakthrough anxiety
After 9 days on zoloft I was given the okay to stop but
I have become so worried and stressed out about my broken sleep and have it stuck in my head that I may have fatal insomnia
My psych. Is not very helpful and I'm going to a new one next week
Benadryl and unisom don't work well as I have ambien but it only works for a few hours and then I'm up and anxious about why I'm awake sometimes I can fall back asleep and sometimes I can't :(
I need to know that I'm not alone and that someone out there has been through bad GAD anxiety insomnia and has gotten through it
Please no scary stories I can't handle it
I even went to the ER in hopes to try and by immediate help because I'm so depressed and scared but since I'm not trying to hurt myself they said there wasn't much they could do
My OB wants me to try 12.5 of zoloft again tonight with the ambien and for me to give the zoloft a chance
I'm scared and don't want to live like this anymore
Bookmark and Share

Online Drielly84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Having a hard time need reassurance !!! Please help
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 06:57:39 PM »
Please someone :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline forever young

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 08:29:08 AM »
I am sorry on one has replied to this. I know how you feel I have had bad insomnia and it is very scarey. I stopped Prozac and then tried to get back on it after 2 months and I would lay awake all night it was very scarey. if you are sleeping at all that is a good thing. I could not go to sleep unless I took something. I am on celexa and sleep some better but not alll night. I feel like it is not controlling my anxiety but then I am worrying about things so much. I would love to try Prozac again as I feel it helped more than any thing but I start to be afraid of the insomnia. I hate the thought of taking something to sleep. hang in there it will get better I think your fear is making it worse. how are you today?
Bookmark and Share

Online Drielly84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 07:38:19 PM »
Hello!
My anxiety is a little better and so is my mood
Anxiety seems to creep up more when it's time to go to bed :/ probably because I'm so frustrated
I took ambien 3 nights in a row so far and don't want to take it tonight but don't want to be up and anxious worrying about sleep either :/ it's so frustrating
I was able to just lay on the couch with me eyes closed and relax but now not fully fall into sleep
Sometimes when I feel like I'm about to drift off I feel a rush of anxiety and my heart rate increase and i can't fully fall asleep
Have you experienced this?
I've been taking 12.5 mg of zoloft for three days now because when I started it higher than that it was too activating at first
Bookmark and Share

Offline asuka07

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 10:49:23 AM »
Hello Dreily

I recently went through a bad patch of insomnia.  I've had bouts of insomnia since I was a teenager, but this one was pretty bad, since I think it was triggered by depression. I can relate to the irrational fears insomnia causes and the horrible cycle of anxiety it causes.  I too had the feeling of falling asleep, but then the anxiety rushes in and keeps you up.  I call it my body forgetting how to fall asleep.  My anxiety would go up when it started to get dark because then it meant that the sleep battle was coming.

I hope this helps but what helped for me was telling myself eventually I will fall asleep. I don't know when or how or for how long, it will just happen.  Try and be happy with whatever sleep you can get. I think for me part of my issue was this feeling of not being able to control when I fall asleep.  I've never been able to sleep on command like others I know.  (And I am very jealous of these people :) )  I'm still not a hundred percent sleep wise (last night I was able to fall asleep, but woke up really early)  but its been a slow recovery.  Just remember eventually it will get better  :action-smiley-065: 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rob783

• Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 01:26:54 PM »
Here's a couple of things about my insomina.

Have you ever had a sleep study?  I would wake up in the middle of the night with anxiety/panic.  It turned out I had moderate sleep apnea, using CPAP cut down my night panic attacks drastically. You might also want to Google : Good sleep hygiene...  we tend to like to watch TV or play with our smartphones before bed.  This means your brain has to wind down to sleep adding time.  You should give yourself 15-30 mins of quiet time before you go to bed... take a nice bath (not too hot water), listen to light music, or do deep breathing exercises.  One last thing... I don't take Zoloft but I do take a drug in its same family (lexapro).  SSRI's takes weeks to build up in your blood before you start to notice.  They're not like Xanax's that work in minutes to relieve anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Online Drielly84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 04:17:26 PM »
Thanks these posts really help me feel better
They want to wait to see how the meds work before they do a sleep study because my dr really doesn't think it's Apnea:/
I slept some last night because remember dreaming two different dreams
Hopefully as the anxiety decreases it will get better
Plus my OB says that insomnia is common during pregnancy cause of hormones and stuff
I really appreciate the replies because it makes me know I'm not alone or crazy!
Bookmark and Share

Offline forever young

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 04:46:50 PM »
I am glad to see all these post. last summer I was trying to get back on Prozac and I had the worst insomnia ever one night laid awake all night long. I would love to try Prozac again as it helped me more than the celexa I am taking but when I think of the insomnia it worries me. I wish I knew it would go away. I have been told you can take trazodone but never have tried it and I have a prescription for it. I hate taking things to sleep. I want to fall asleep naturally. I can't stand the spaced out feeling the next day and I couldn't lay down and take a nap either I would lay there awake. I thought at least I am getting rest. I was afraid I would die. I wonder how long you can go with out sleep because I was lay awake all night. I was happy if I could sleep 3 or 4 hrs.
Bookmark and Share

Online Drielly84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 05:56:04 PM »
I was on trazedone and celexa for 12 years until I found out I was pregnant trazedone is not really a sleep med but an antidepressant that when used with other meds is helpful and sedating to help fall asleep I have trazedone now too but my OB wants me to avoid it if I can cause they don't know much about it with pregnancy like they do with Zoloft
Bookmark and Share

Offline mtown67

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2014, 01:48:15 AM »
Hi Drielly. I to suffer from insomnia a few time a week. I do take ambien nightly as it does help me fall asleep. My anxiety causes me to sweat profusely. I get clammy and fidgety. It overrides the use of Ambien at that point.

Regarding electronics before bedtime. I have been trying hypnotherapy. I subscribe to a couple of YouTube pages that have really good hypnotherapy sessions. I put headphones on and start the session. There are different types of therapies include insomnia. It does take some getting used to, but you will soon fall asleep. The benefit is relaxation, sleep as well as positive messages planted in your subconscious mind during sleep. It's worth a try.

Hang in there. I am new here and have already seen the benefit of this website. I am not alone and neither are you. :)
Bookmark and Share

Online Drielly84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2014, 05:11:45 PM »
Hello!
Thank you for responding!
Yes I do use youtube hypnotherapy at times and it does relax me as long as I'm not too anxious to begin with
I'm taking zoloft and working my way up slowly and it seems to be helping
I hope to get a full nights sleep soon and not just broken sleep but I think a lot of my sleeping issues which I haven had in a long long time stem from my anxiety as the fact I'm in the middle of my pregnancy! This site helps me so much! I would be lost without the help and support from the people on here!
Bookmark and Share

Offline sefsermak

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2014, 08:09:08 PM »
Get yourself a Dark/Light therapy, it may help reducing anxiety and/or GAD sympthoms. Some tips:
- In the night, 2-3 hours before you go to bed, turn off all lights and dont look again at another light until next day (especially white light). I know its difficult but that's the essence of the Dark Therapy, you must be in complete darkness a couple hours before bed time. If you need to read on your laptop, reduce the brightness to the minimum possible and change the display to High Contrast to reduce the white light. If you need to go to the bathroom, don't turn on the lights, use your cellphone as a flashlight.
- Go to bed and wake up at the same hours, always, every day. If you have insomnia, just go to bed and be very relaxed, maybe read a little on your laptop until you fall asleep.
- Have a good sleep enviroment: quiet, dark curtains to block the lights from the streets, be relaxed, maybe put some relaxing music, comfortable bed, etc.
- Sleep at least for 6-7h.
- As soon as you wake up next day, open your window and look at the sky (NOT the sun, it will damage your eyes) for 10-15 minutes. This is Light Therapy.
- During the day, look at much white light as you can, look at the sky, turn up the brightness on your laptop to the max, etc.

I used to suffer from extreme GAD/Panic Attacks until I started doing all of the above, try it, in a couple weeks you might feel better. Sleep is key to control GAD/Anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline lmclanahan

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2014, 12:49:38 AM »
Six months pregnant here with #7 and believe me,, pregnancy insomnia stinks. It is hormonal and will come and go. I have gad and take Zoloft, Wellbutrin and Buspar. I have breakthrough anxiety sometimes, but not daily, or even weekly. My babies have been fine with the meds. The zoloft  should help a lot, just try to give it a chance. I had to train myself to fall asleep, after baby#5. I can nap now too. Try to nap when possible to catch up. Good luck.
Bookmark and Share

Online Drielly84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2014, 07:09:17 AM »
Thank you!
I didn't have an issue sleeping during the first trimester nor befriend I was pregnant so it is really frustrating :/
There are so many conflicting things I've read to try and fall asleep
If I go to bed and just lay in the darkness for two hours before my hubby comes in then when he comes in and I'm still awake in become so frustrated and worried as to hy I am not asleep yet
Some people say to not go to bed until you are tired
I do the headphones and relaxing music at times but then after a while the noise in my ears annoys me
The issue is as I'm about to drift off I get this rush of anxiousness and I've learned to just lay there and it passes but it's like I still have broken sleep
Maybe it's the pregnancy hormones I don't know:/
I do feel better throughout the day though now that I have started the zoloft so I guess it's a start
Bookmark and Share

Offline sefsermak

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2014, 09:29:22 PM »
Read this:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/can-a-lack-of-sleep-cause/

Focus on treating your insomnia and the other symptoms may mitigate, it worked for me. Why I know this? Because everytime I sleep deprive myself for a few days I start to develop GAD/Panic attacks symptoms, when this happens I just get my sleep back on track and the symptoms dissappear after a couple weeks. It may work for you.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: