Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: STILL too afraid to start taking Prozac.  (Read 151 times)

Offline Boo.

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
STILL too afraid to start taking Prozac.
« on: May 16, 2014, 04:47:29 PM »
I was prescribed it about a month ago now and it's just been sitting in my purse because I'm too afraid to take it.

I'm afraid I'm gonna have a terrible reaction to it. I keep "putting it off until the weekend so I can take it when my mom is home with me just in case something happens" but when the weekend comes, I don't start it.
My mom doesn't understand my anxiety and her reaction when I told her I was prescribed Prozac was pretty negative, so I feel really uneasy. :( Plus just my health anxiety in general keeps me from wanting to take ANY medication at all.

My anxiety has been terrible this week (finals are next week and I'm incredibly stressed out) and I'm having panic attack after panic attack.. I can't even just sit here and watch TV with my boyfriend without something randomly hurting and then me panicking that I'm having a medical emergency.

I'm so afraid right now and just wanna cry. I keep telling myself that it's all just anxiety but then something else hurts or aches or happens and I can't stop panicking and worrying and wanting to cry no matter how much I tell myself to just breathe and calm down.

I'm so tired of having anxiety. I just wanna cry (but I know that'll just send me into an ugly-crying, hyperventilating panic attack so I'm not going to).
Bookmark and Share
"Just keep swimming..."

Offline Eric68

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: STILL too afraid to start taking Prozac.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 05:56:53 PM »
Do you have a therapist you can talk to?  To me that seems like the best route to explore.  Maybe talking to a mental health professional will help ease you over the hump of starting the Prozac.  Talking to my therapist has done wonders in the past.  Good luck with however you choose to proceed.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Boo.

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 11:50:35 PM »
Do you have a therapist you can talk to?  To me that seems like the best route to explore.  Maybe talking to a mental health professional will help ease you over the hump of starting the Prozac.  Talking to my therapist has done wonders in the past.  Good luck with however you choose to proceed.

I do have a therapist I can talk to, my next appointment is next Friday. We talked about my concerns a bit before it was prescribed and I then discussed them with the psychiatrist, but I just never started taking it and seem to have gotten so much worse over the last month (and moreso this past week, which is what stemmed this post... I had a really bad day today). I just feel really uneasy about continuing to wait... I probably could have been feeling better had I started them when I was prescribed them. And the longer I wait to star them, the longer it's gonna take for me to feel better. Ugh!
Bookmark and Share
"Just keep swimming..."

Offline Myocdragon

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 01:18:36 AM »
Today is my 38th day on Prozac. The first few days i took it I felt slightly speedy for a few hours after I took it, but no moreso than a small cup of coffee. The first week and a half I had dry mouth. And that was the extent of it. I didn't mind the side effects because it made me feel like the prozac was having some effect. After a few weeks all my SEs went away. As my pdoc said, "It's not a happy pill." I didn't just suddenly feel great, and for over three weeks I was just as miserable as before. I had brief flashes of feeling normal, happy, but nothing for more than a few hours. But then at 3 and a half weeks the clouds began parting rapidly. And now at nearly six weeks if feel fine and happy.

I don't think you'll have a problem with them.

Good luck!
Bookmark and Share
I'm not crazy, I've just lost my mind

Offline Beth0810

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 09:04:10 AM »
I'm right there with you, except it's been almost a year since I was prescribed the Prozac, and I still haven't been able to take it.  :(  I am just like you, afraid of side effects- I'm afraid of feeling speedy, or more anxious at first.  I know I NEED it.  And if I had started taking it last year, I would be feeling so much better now.  But I didn't.  And here I am. 

Just wanted you to know you are not alone. 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: