Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Yikes! Have a mole question!  (Read 256 times)

Offline noella6

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Yikes! Have a mole question!
« on: May 15, 2014, 09:45:03 PM »
I thought I'd got to grips with this mole thing, after almost 3 doc visits to get them checked in the past two months.
But noticed another today, no idea if new or not, but I will describe it - On my waist, small, freckle sized, mostly flat, perfectly round and clear edges, and a uniform very dark colour, like almost black! I read on here somewhere that the darker moles are often melanomas, so am very worried! Otherwise it looks just fine.

I have red, brown, pale and dark moles, but this is the darkest (also one of the tiniest though).

A couple of reliable sites state that all of these colours are 'safe', and that melanomas are often a mix.

I am seeing doc in next few weeks, but can anyone ease my mind in the meantime?
Are the darkest moles common?
Am i doomed?
 B-;
Bookmark and Share
"Giants exist to deceive, they retreat if they're clearly perceived"

Offline PantsyAntsy

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Yikes! Have a mole question!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 09:51:45 PM »
i have had more horrible looking moles than I can count and ALL have turned out to be mildly atypical. melanoma is actually the least likely scenario for even awful looking moles. I believe I read 1/33 suspicious moles tagged for biopsy end up being melanoma, so odds are greatly in your favor. I don't think a black mole is automatically melanoma at all. I had a black thing appear de novo on my skin, and it ended up being an age spot  :sprachlos020: if you have a dermatologist appointment in a couple of weeks, just make sure to point it out. Do you have any other moles that resemble this black one? That would be a good sign, but even without other black ones, melanoma is still the rare diagnosis.
Bookmark and Share

Offline noella6

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 09:55:48 PM »
Thanks!

It is by far the darkest, but also one of the smallest. I have some that are close in colour but most of my others are brown.
My family said it is dark but not quite black, not sure that helped!

Doctor told me that in 15 yrs of working she has only seen melanoma twice. She said it is quite rare and even rarer when not in a sun exposed spot. We arranged to get me checked every 3 months to help my anxiety. I don't have tons of them, but a fair decent scattering around my body.

The internet though - is another thing entirely. If i listened to the internet i would have planned my funeral 10 yrs ago because according to google all of my moles are deadly  :spineyes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline noella6

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 04:59:49 AM »
Anyone else have any dark/black moles?

Are these normal?
Bookmark and Share

Offline spongecake

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 06:56:51 AM »
Yes, I had a really dark, angry blackish looking mole that was freaking me out too, but apparently it is totally fine. Nothing wrong with getting it checked and keeping an eye on it if you're still doubtful, but they're not the doom we tend to think they are xD
Bookmark and Share

Offline noella6

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 06:29:25 AM »
Thanks, it does help to hear we can have them and not be in danger!
Sorry my reply is late, i had to move house so have been very busy - it even took over my worry about the mole, which i guess is good practice!

Will def go the doctor soon as it will drag along at the back of my mind. I mean, apart from reading black was bad, my mole really does look ok otherwise. So annoying.

I did hear that googling ANYTHING connected to moles is always a bad idea. One of the worst for HA people.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: