Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: New to the site  (Read 76 times)

Offline AcousticDad

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
New to the site
« on: May 15, 2014, 12:52:34 PM »
 :action-smiley-065:

Hi everyone.  Just found this site and hoping to share and support with the rest of you.  I am a father of 2 and on my second marriage (to a much better person) and getting ready to turn 40 at the end of the year.

I never thought I might have any anxiety issues until a few events transpired that changed my life forever.  I grew up in a wonderful family with 4 older brothers.  So it was a household of 5 boys, one dad, one mom. My mom was such a great homemaker while my Dad worked all day.  Her whole life she has been a worrier and I saw some of that in me.  But that's all I ever thought of it.

At age 23 while I was finishing up at college, I started getting stomach cramps and was running to the bathroom after every meal. It was a very busy time in my life because I was taking extra classes to graduate, interning for school, and working part time.  About six months later after trips to the emergency room and lots of tests, I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease.  At the time, I equated that with Cancer.  Now, I have been living with it for about 16 years and doing okay.  I just watch what I eat, exercise, and try to reduce my stress.

About 3 years later (when I was married the first time), and when my first son was about 4 months old we had to stop at the emergency room while on a brief vacation (my wife was very ill).  This place was in the middle of nowhere and I experienced my first real panic attack at trying to take care of everyone.  We all ended up getting sick, but surviving.

Then, about 4 years later later, my wife had an affair and asked for a divorce.  I was a stay-at-home dad at this point because we had another son and didn't want two young boys in Daycare. I experienced several more panic attacks and my anxiety increased ten-fold. Now, I had to find work, sell our home, accept my wife was leaving me, and only see my boys half the time.

Other events occurred, but I soldiered on as we all do.  Trying to show a brave face.  I eventually met a wonderful woman who had also been divorced (without children) and got re-married about 2.5 years ago. My two sons are growing up and i enjoy our time together.

In the past 9 years since my divorce, my anxiety has increased.  I have good days and bad days.  But I have been trying to find someone or some people that can relate to what I feel.  I know now that it's not just worrying.

So, I look forward to connecting with you all.  I try to be positive and focus on doing good for others.  But some days I just can't see the silver lining.

P.S. I also have been playing guitar for 31 years so my music does help me cope as well.
Bookmark and Share

Online crikee57

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 68
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: New to the site
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 02:08:03 PM »
HI AcousticDad,

Welcome to the forum.  It is great to have you as a member.  This is a wonderful place to get advice and support from people going through similar situations.  The members here are very helpful. It is nice to know we are not alone.

Feel free to explore the forum.  There are lots of useful topics to read.  Feel free to post and ask questions.  If you have specific concerns or questions start a topic in the appropriate section to get the best feedback. There is also a chat room for members 18 years and older that you can access once you have made three meaningful posts in the forum. 

Again welcome to our community.
Bookmark and Share
It's not what's in front of us that stops us.  It's what's inside that holds us back.

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 21
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 02:18:42 PM »
Hello AcousticDad, and welcome to Anxiety Zone!  My name is Chuck, and I am one of the Global Moderators here on the site.

You are now a member of our community, where you will find support and advice from other members in similar situations.   It's always nice to find someone else who understands, and to know you're not alone.

We have sections in the forum that address specific concerns, so feel free to post or start a new topic in the section that best fits your situation.  Feel free to explore the rest of the forum.  You may find the other topics helpful, and you may be able to offer advice or support to someone else.

We also have a chat room for members over the age of 18.  Once you have made three meaningful posts, you will be allowed access to the chat room.

AD...  I have been where you are, in so many respects.  I have Crohn's too, have been through one divorce, and deal with panic disorder with panic attacks.  I also love music, and love to play my guitars!

So, welcome again to the Anxiety Zone site.  Drop me a line if you ever need to talk.

The very best to you, AcousticDad!...  Chuck :grinning-smiley-003:

Bookmark and Share

Offline AcousticDad

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 02:27:57 PM »
Thanks Chuck and crikee57.  That helps alot.  I feel better when I can see that others face the same challenges and can succeed.

I use my sense of humor to get me through difficult times.  I have been a big fan of Weird Al Yankovich and Bowling for Soup.. for years. Laughing is great medicine.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Stressed Jumper

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 03:43:53 PM »
Welcome!  One of my best friends has Crohns and manages it very well with meds and a healthy diet.  Have you considered meds or cbt?  When my panic attacks started in my 20's they were infrequent and I used Xanax as needed.  Now I am 34 and on Zoloft and it has made a world of difference.  I am self employed and for almost two years was the sole bread winner so my stress went through the roof...not a good thing when you are a horse trainer!  The meds made all the difference for me although I know they are not for everyone.  Hope you find the same wonderful support here that I have!

P.S.  I love me some Weird Al too!  You might also like Voltaire and Bloodhound Gang.  Both funny and good music.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: