Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Bothered by the heat  (Read 189 times)

Offline LASD

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Bothered by the heat
« on: May 15, 2014, 12:17:23 AM »
Hey everyone,

Where I live, its been about 100 degrees. Of course, being that MS is what I'm worried about, I've noticed my symptoms are a lot worse. My leg seems to be really stiff, and the tingling/numbness is driving me just about crazy. Does anyone else here notice an increase in tingling/numbness while in the heat? Again, I've been to 6 neuro's and had a clean MRI, so I'm not really sure what the hell is going on. I even felt dizzy today and just off-balance, something that usually never happens to me. Any info would help, thanks!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 161
    • Poke This Member
Re: Bothered by the heat
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 05:58:45 AM »
If you don't like the heat it will effect you in big ways. It will jump start your anxiety off. Which in turn will jump start symptoms off. Then thoughts / fears will enter your head. Your ones are MS. Like a big knock on effect. This can happen to others who hate the cold weather too. You are far from alone with it.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline naynaydevil2

• Rec's: 8
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 08:17:55 AM »
Oh my goodness, finally someone I can relate to! Recently in this heat I've been getting pins and needles all over my body!! I was worried about ms but it just started so I haven't had a chance to call my Dr.
Bookmark and Share

Offline LASD

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 09:03:06 PM »
So the heat is still really bothering me. I just got back from vacation where it was really hot and humid. When I left the bar at night, it was around 90 degrees, and I was sweaty and sticky. Both my shins and calves were tingling the worst that I had felt them. It felt like thousands of ants were crawling on them. That had me really fretting MS. I haven't seen anyone here have that kind of reaction to the heat, and I'm too afraid to visit MS boards, because I'm sure that is a common complaint there. Am I the only one here that feels this here? I'm really starting to believe that all of this is not anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline LASD

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 09:39:04 PM »
I should also add that I don't feel the tingling stuff while I'm actually hot, but I feel it when I sit back and relax. For instance, in this particular case, I didn't feel the tingling when I was Inside the bar, but felt it when I left the bar and sat down outside.
Bookmark and Share

Offline redapples

• Rec's: 7
  • :]
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 09:44:34 PM »
The last 2 years, the heat has been a real trigger for my anxiety. Like you, I will get tingly, too. I usually get the tingly numb feeling in my upper lip.

I think when I feel the heat like that, perhaps I'm not breathing correctly from panicking, so the sort of hyperventilating that I do causes me to get that tingly feeling in my upper lip.

Years back, though, both my arms would get numb. It was terrible. You're definitely not alone with this.

Are you in air conditioning now? If you don't have any, what about a cool shower? Run cold water on your wrists? I have a/c and that always gets rid of it but if I'm stuck outside that's another story... :yes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline LASD

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 09:48:02 PM »
Thanks for the reply! I'm back home now so it's not as hot. But yes when I do get the tingly/numb sensation from the heat, I definitely try running to anywhere that has a/c. I'm actually sweating right now (still hot, I live in LA) but I don't feel the tingly stuff right now. Truly bizarre
Bookmark and Share

Offline Bocephus

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 09:49:07 PM »
I can totally relate to the heat thing..  And yes, it doesn't bother me while in it, but when I go in the house I feel funny things like tingling and stuff...

This may sound counterproductive but it's worked well for me with pins and needles, tingling, burning type feelings and other strange skin things - hot shower or bath followed by cool rinse.. I feel like it sort of resets my senses.  I love taking hot baths and I attribute feeling better afterwards to the hot water increasing my circulation, followed by a quick cool rinse.  Think of it as calibrating the senses.  Works well for me.  And don't tell my manly friends but I LOVE the blue sky bubble bath bar from Lush..  It smells a little like a hippie but makes me skin feel really soft and good and a LOT less prickly..
Bookmark and Share

Offline Bocephus

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 09:50:19 PM »
Thanks for the reply! I'm back home now so it's not as hot. But yes when I do get the tingly/numb sensation from the heat, I definitely try running to anywhere that has a/c. I'm actually sweating right now (still hot, I live in LA) but I don't feel the tingly stuff right now. Truly bizarre

Yah it's a bit warm in LA today.  And kind of muggy here in Long Beach.  Hopefully the pub has the AC on tonight.
Bookmark and Share

Offline LASD

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 09:59:23 PM »
Man, seeing other people have this complaint that aren't diagnosed with you know what makes me feel better. Don't get me wrong, I wish none of us have to feel this, but it's nice knowing you're not alone.

Another example for me was I went to the gym and decided to really check if the heat bothered me. So i stepped into the sauna, which is 180F for ten minutes. I didn't notice much while i was in there. However afterwards when i cooled down, there was a slight tingle in my left leg. It's these things that confuse me!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Bocephus

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 10:08:16 PM »
We'll LASD think about this - even if you had not gotten into the sauna you probably would have felt the tingles right?  I know that sounds kind of... Don't have the right word..  But don't avoid the heat but realize it probably won't make a difference in whether you feel the tingles or not.  That's because the heat doesn't cause the tingles, the anxiety (and your Jedi like mind) do..  It's ok.  You're ok.  We're ok. 

And btw - yes I agree about seeing other people on here that aren't diagnosed with whatever it is, yet still have the symptoms.  We're not alone!!  We're ok.  We're actually just being human.  It's somewhat normal.   
Bookmark and Share

Offline LASD

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2014, 10:22:33 PM »
Yeah thats the problem I guess, I have trouble accepting that 'it's all in the head". Especially when the symptoms are made worse by the heat, something typical for MS. But, I see now, that I'm not the only one here that has this. As advanced as we are, there's just so much we don't know about the human body yet.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Bocephus

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2014, 12:36:16 AM »
Well they say we only use 20% percent (or something like that) of our brain for all of our normal processing.  I'm pretty certain I've figured out a way to use the other 80% on worrying ;)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: