Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: No energy, no hygiene, no interest in regular activities anymore..  (Read 562 times)

Offline ebs0031

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
So this has been going on for a while now, but I haven't really done anything to get help. Only recently have I admitted that I need to get help with my depression, I have an appointment with a psychiatrist on the 29th. Anyway, it's gotten worse the past few weeks. I never have any energy. I stay up all night, just laying in bed, thinking about all the awesome things I want to do with my life, or coming up with fake scenarios in my head that I wish would happen. Absolutely restless. I fall asleep in the morning, when everyone else is usually waking up, and I sleep until around 12, but lay in bed until I have to get up, usually around 3 or 4. I only shower when I have somewhere to be, or when I know someone will be coming over to hangout with my brother or my mom.  The same goes for brushing my hair and teeth. When I am awake, I'm exhausted, and rarely have energy.

I'm also a hockey goalie. Usually hockey is my escape from life, focusing on a little black puck getting shot at me and trying to stop it takes immense focus, so naturally, that is the only thing I think about when I'm on the ice. As of recent, I haven't been able to do so. I have no energy on the ice, I dont really care if I stop the puck or not, and when I don't, I feel like my teammates are trash talking me, even though they aren't usually the kind to do so. But I always have that feeling. It's like I don't even want to play hockey anymore, but I know I'd be lost without it.

How do I get my passions back? How can I wake up in the morning, get out of bed, take a shower, and move on with my life? I feel like once I can do these things, that's a huge step forward for me in dealing with my depression and moving forward.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 167
    • Poke This Member
Re: No energy, no hygiene, no interest in regular activities anymore..
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 01:44:14 PM »
It is clear you need help. Depression does exactly what you mentioned in your wording. Once a person is down it is far easier to keep going down and down further still. Climbing back up is always the hard part. This is the part you need the help with. Getting your therapy will be the first step. You might be given small goals each visit. Things that you can work on. Nothing major to begin with. A small exercise to do between sessions. May involve writing. Just something that doesn't involve just sitting there inwardly thinking. Which is exactly what you are doing right now. You are looking at your life as it is right now. You are letting yourself believe you have no interest at all in anything in that life. We both know that is a lie. The interest is still very much there. The desire is lacking. Or the get up and go you know to take part in the interest. That has to be fixed. It may involve some medication. I know everybody is not into medication. It can be done with or without. Without will mean you pushing yourself a lot harder. No sitting there accepting defeat. That is the trap you can fall into. You think you have lost. So you stop trying. You ask yourself ' what is the point '? You love hockey. That is one good point to want to want to beat this. It can be a bit like dragging your rear up off the floor and telling yourself you need to make things right. These things don't fix themselves. We have to work hard at fixing them. Bad days are horrible. We all hate them. But they happen. Good days can happen too. I would look up positive affirmations. I would write a few out on sticky paper. I would stick them about my house. Any room I walk into I would see positive words looking back at me. I would say them over. Might think that would do no good. Subconsciously they would slowly sink in. Pushing all the negative thoughts to one side. Just one idea you can try out. Nothing to lose. You can only gain from it. Then go out to your front garden. Get a bit of air. Anything but sitting in a house with your thoughts. Just a small walk. Nothing major. This would be the start of your fight back. No matter how bad things may seem, there is always a road back. Keep track of everything. So you can read back over it all. See how you are doing. It may seem like hard work. I won't pretend it will be easy. But it will be well worth the effort.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline ebs0031

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 12:29:31 AM »
Thank you for your post, you made my day, really. You're very positive :)

My first appointment isn't until the 29th, so about 12 more days. Any advice for things I can do between now and then to keep my head up?

Today was a bit better, I got up somewhat early and showered and went about my day, even got some planning for my graduation party done. I don't want this feeling to wear off tomorrow :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 167
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 06:03:57 AM »
Do what you done yesterday. Make a list of things you want to do. Take each one as it comes. No hurry with the list. Even if you get two of them done, you are still doing something with your time. It is all about putting some structure in your life. Lists can help. Small things you can take on. Try and keep the good work going.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline katiejanekaboom

• Mood: Content
    Content
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 09:06:53 PM »
I spent two years trying to get over my depression, and it turns out the best treatment for me is a combination of medication and therapy. Since starting these treatments I have began to enjoy things again. I have a lot more energy and I make more of an effort to meet people, do things, and have fun. Of course, every day isn't perfect, but it is a lot better than it was. Hopefully you have a similar experience. And if I can give one piece of advice and one piece only, it would be to meet with a therapist/counselor somewhat regularly. My therapist is the main reason I have gotten so much better. :)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: