Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Naegleria Fowleri from an old/dirty tissue?  (Read 122 times)

Offline lebron34

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Naegleria Fowleri from an old/dirty tissue?
« on: May 14, 2014, 08:09:07 PM »
So I really only have one major fear in life, naegleria fowleri. This fear almost overwhelms me at times and makes it hard to enjoy my life. As an aesthetic bodybuilder who is preparing for a physique contest in the upcoming months, I have been in the gym upwards of 2 hours a day between weights and cardio. Whenever I sweat and get sweat in my nose, I have to drop whatever I'm doing and wipe it off with a tissue before continuing, causing stares from some of my friends. Today, while lifting, I felt the urge to blow my nose and went over to use a tissue. There were no tissues at the desk but an old open box was lying on the floor. Without thinking I blew my nose with the old, dusty, dirty tissue. It instantly freaked me out and almost made me unable to concentrate on the rest of my workout. I was wondering, can I get naegleria fowleri from an old, dusty, dirty tissue? What if someone got the tissue wet then I blew my nose? Also should I be worried when sweat goes into my nose? I'm so sick of this stupid thought about this amoeba. Please reply and help me so I can get over this stupid fear that is slowly ruining my life. Thank you
Bookmark and Share

Online PantsyAntsy

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Naegleria Fowleri from an old/dirty tissue?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 09:59:17 PM »
I'm new to the board but have noticed you post about this several times. my heart goes out to you since you seem to be really locked into this intrusive thought pattern.

i don't know much about the amoeba, but no, you can't get it from a tissue. you can only get it from flushing water straight up your nose. I doubt you jammed the tissue into your sinuses, so that is a zero percent chance.

Curious-how did tou get so worried about this?
Bookmark and Share

Offline lebron34

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Naegleria Fowleri from an old/dirty tissue?
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 04:37:14 PM »
I'm not really sure what got me so afraid of it. I know the reason it's so scary to me is because it's a 99% mortality rate, there is no real cure or treatment, and it progresses really rapidly and kills you extremely fast. I think that's why I'm so afraid of it, it just feeds into my hypochondria :(
Bookmark and Share