Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Have my gastro appointment tomorrow, kind of scared. new fears as well  (Read 262 times)

Offline SE4000

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
In about 24 hours I'll be at the gastrologist's office. My symptoms have gotten better since I made the appointment, but I don't know if it's because I've controlled my diet or what.

I seem to be having symptoms of gastritis. I have a feeling of pressure or a lump behind the bottom of my breastbone that gets better and worse over the day, and it seems that certain foods make me feel nauseous after a few hours or the next day, with feelings of acid reflux when that happens. My appetite is okay now, but not perfect. I haven't lost weight, and I haven't felt any pain since I got sick.

I was reading about gastritis and unfortunately found that it can be caused by stomach cancer, but I'm so young that I feel my chances are minute. I also heard it's not very common in the US anymore. I'm not sure why I'm scared then -- maybe it's because my symptoms still aren't completely gone after over a month, and no matter how good I feel I still have this lump feeling behind my breastbone. I also accidentally came across stories of people discovering cancer incidentally with very few complaints, being healthy and everything.

I'm also scared of being put under general anesthesia for a possible endoscopy. I've never gone under general anesthesia before and I'm afraid of getting nightmares or panicking at the last moment.

Some last minute reassurance would be great. After I address all my medical issues, I'm not going to hesitate to find a counselor so that I can treat my anxieties. I think anxiety has affected my life much more than I want to admit.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Descent

• Rec's: 1
  • Only thing to fear is fear itself
    • Poke This Member
Going from recent gastritis to stomach cancer is quite the leap. You're young, you've suffered no weight loss and you're feeling pain. Believe it or not, cancer can be insidious and cause zero pain. Your gastritis sounds acute and not that serious.

I've had chronic gastritis for a couple months now. Lost my appetite, lost 20 pounds and had more than a few days where I was in pain and nauseous. It's only recently gotten to the point where I feel I have an appetite again and I'm gaining back some weight. I'm 24, my doctor knows all this and is not worried... there was never any mention of the C-Word cause like I said, it's quite the leap.

Also they probably won't put you in for an endoscopy if it's your first visit. That's not how it worked for me at least. You'll probably be prescribed Proton Pump Inhibitor's or some sort of acid reducer.
Bookmark and Share
Generally afraid of: Bacterial infections, toxic ingestions

Offline SE4000

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I'm not in any pain, sorry if I accidentally made it look like I did. my biggest concern is this feeling of a bump behind my breastbone, but it's not too scary now because burping will shrink it instantly. I woke up today feeling a relatively large amount of pressure in that area, but then I stood up and belched a few times and it's been almost completely gone ever since. at least that helps with the fear.

I'm not that scared of C because I know I'm also only 24 and it's kinda rare here in the US, it's just my process this whole time has been that I feel a bump somewhere in my abdomen and it's kind of scary. It's not something I can feel with my hands, more like a pressure. It's good to know that gastritis can last so long, because my symptoms have lasted for over a month. And it seems to be improving every day, even if I eat the 'wrong' food.

I'm a little scared of the endoscopy because my GP said that the gastro would do it, but I'm sure that's something that has to be scheduled. I've always been afraid of general anesthesia because I've never experienced it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline SE4000

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Well, I went to the GI doc and he said that I seem to have gotten gastroenteritis after a viral infection. I told him everything, including how my symptoms are getting better. I have a follow up in six weeks. He didn't order any endoscopy or anything.

I described my bowel issues to him and he also explained why something like that could happen, including anxiety and certain dietary factors. He didn't seem worried about anything.

So we talked about controlling my anxiety in a number of ways and what foods I should avoid, and sent me off to get a blood test just in case. I'm much less worried now. I guess if my symptoms do get worse, which seems unlikely, then it'll be a problem. But since I feel so much better these days I guess it's going to be okay. I just have to wait it out before I eat certain things again.
Bookmark and Share

Offline LotusFish

• Poke This Member
I just saw my gastroenterologist today. I don't have the same symptoms as you but mine opted for a colonoscopy which I now have to wait 12 days to have done (because I'm waiting on my husband to get back from an out of town job). In the mean time, he took some blood tests today. I feel pretty optimistic though because my issues have been improving but I wasn't about to cancel this appointment before getting an "official" peace of mind.
Bookmark and Share

Offline SE4000

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I think because my symptoms are pretty mild he didn't order any tests. But they've been ongoing for years (the bowel things, not the stomach problems). He's aware of that, but he still didn't order anything. He also suggested I try meditation or something in order to help with my anxiety issues, which I wasn't expecting at all. I'll most likely get into it now.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: