Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Stuttering because of Anxiety?  (Read 303 times)

Offline Tychi

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Stuttering because of Anxiety?
« on: May 14, 2014, 02:56:03 PM »
Hey guys,

I'm a new member here and it's comforting to see so many people with anxiety like me, and to see everyone supporting eachother!

Anyway,

I have this thing where there are certain phrases or situations where I cannot seem to push words out, sometimes i'll be talking and i can see the word in my head, and i can hear it, but when i try to say the word i cannot push it out. This has become an everyday occurrence for me and it has had a big impact of my social life. When i come to the point of not being able to speak i tend to say "oh what's it called again" Or something else to just try and make myself not look weird.

There are certain times where i find it particularly hard to talk like on the phone. 'Hello' is a word that i have trouble saying almost all the time, so when i recieve a phonecall from an unknown number, i tend to just leave it to ring. I also find myself thinking about what i'm going to say, over and over again. And when it comes to the point of me saying it, i usually end up messing my words up, or saying none atall. It has also become problematic when raising my voice. For example; when at a friends house and there is music playing, if a friend tries to talk to me from one side of the room to the other i am very short worded and seem anti social but i genuinely want to talk and be enthusiastic.

There are certain phrases like the 'Eh' sound in hello and the 'Ah' sound in around. When saying these it feels like my throat closes sometimes.

Some days I seem to be ok and may only stutter once or twice, but other days it feels like my throat is constantly tight and i find it hard to talk atall. I have found alcohol helps me speak more clearly.

I have had this problem for a long time now and i am wondering if anyone else has experienced the same thing as me. It's effecting my social life and everyday life and would like to be able to get some advice on how to solve this annoying situation.

Thanks guys!

Nathan

Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 22
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Stuttering because of Anxiety?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 04:04:48 PM »
I suffer from the same thing.  Mine started with my fears of neurological diseases, and found out I had two speaking engagements for crowds over 1000 people.  I then started analyzing my speech.  My mouth would get dry, my articulation poor and I would stutter.  I still have problems with it on some days.  I am the same as you as I can see a word and anticipate problems with it.  I have gotten better at switching words mid sentence to something easier to say.  But, yes anxiety can do this...generally speaking if it comes and goes it's usually not anything more than anxiety.  But, if it persists or worsens go get it checked out.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Offline VBFear

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Stuttering because of Anxiety?
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 10:00:29 PM »
I go through something similar, but not stuttering specifically.  When dealing with people I don't know very well, I forget words entirely or say a similar-sounding but incorrect word.  Just off the top of my head, I was explaining to someone what kind of glue to use for a certain project, and I called it a "blue."  It was in a professional setting, so that only made it worse.  It's begun happening when talking to people I know well (but not even remotely near the same degree) so it may be a separate issue from my anxiety.  I just know that in situations where I'm feeling uncomfortable it's much worse.

Though they're different, I suspect they might be addressed in a similar way, so I too am curious how to approach these problems.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: stuttering