Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: First mammogram on Tuesday - I'm so nervous!!  (Read 110 times)

Offline mominpanic

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
First mammogram on Tuesday - I'm so nervous!!
« on: May 14, 2014, 02:42:56 PM »
I just turned 40 (yesterday) and have my first mammogram scheduled for this upcoming Tuesday and am absolutely terrified!  I'm not worried about the mammogram itself, just of the waiting, of getting a callback, or them calling me with horrible news.  I know I need to get this done, but part of me just wants to cancel the appointment and not worry about it.  How have you ladies out there dealt with your first mammogram?  Am I crazy for being this scared?  I've even been having bad dreams the past few nights of getting told there is something in my left breast and needing further tests, and hearing more stories than usual of breast cancer.  I'm hoping this isn't a bad sign of things to come, but this is how I look at things unfortunately :(
Bookmark and Share
A joyful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones - Proverbs 17:22

Offline LotusFish

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Re: First mammogram on Tuesday - I'm so nervous!!
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 02:58:05 PM »
I'm 31 and fear any kind of breast exam. I just went in Monday for yet another lump on my right breast (I get them often for some reason). Every time I get a lump, I (of course) fear the worst and every time it's a harmless benign cyst yet I constantly convince myself that this is going to be the bad one and it's difficult to talk myself down.

Hang in there and know that the peace of mind after will be so much better than the fear/anxiety building up to it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline famv5

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: First mammogram on Tuesday - I'm so nervous!!
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 04:40:26 PM »
I am 45 years old with a family history of breast cancer (mom).  My mother was diagnosed and had a masectomy at 43.   I put my first mammogram off until last summer.  I was just too scared to go sooner.  I was starting to have discomfort and really worry so I went.  Thankfully, everything turned out to be just fine. 

I will pass along what the technician told me.  She said that there was a good chance that I might get a callback to come back in simply due to the fact that it was my first mammogram so there wasn't anything prior to compare the images to.  She said out of the four new patients that she had that day, one of us would be called back and not to  worry if that happens.  I didn't get a callback but just know that many times that happens simply due to being your first mammogram or the images aren't clear.  My mother said she gets called back just about every time due to poor images. 

You are doing the right thing.  It is important to have done.  I'm sure everything will be just fine and you will be glad and relieved you did it.  Please post after your appt.  Try not to work yourself up. :)
Bookmark and Share
"Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths" - Charles H. Spurgeon

Tags: