Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Just started Lexapro  (Read 248 times)

Offline ObiLaws

• Padawan
  • Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Believe in the power of the mind
    • Poke This Member
Just started Lexapro
« on: May 14, 2014, 11:24:39 AM »
Hey guys, my GP just prescribed me Lexapro yesterday and I just took for my first dose of it yesterday as well. He started me off small at 10 ml (I'm taking the liquid for low-gag reflex) and I figured I should be okay with it at that dose for now on terms of side effects. So far, the only side effect I've experienced is that I had insomnia last night and only got 4 hours of sleep. My anxiety hiked up last night as well, but I'm not sure if that was the Lexapro or my GERD acting up (though I suspect it might have been a combination of both). Either way, I'm a little confused now as to how I should approach taking it. My GP said to take 2 tablespoons of  omeprazole for my GERD before breakfast, wait 30 minutes to an hour, and then take the 10 ml of Lexapro after breakfast. My problem is that I don't know if it's safe for me to take it again this soon after taking it yesterday afternoon. It'd only be about 19 or 20 hours between doses. Should I just take a smaller dose, like 5 ml and then resume the standard dosage tomorrow? Also, as another question, my mother and I have decided that using a .25 ml dose of Xanax occasionally as a bridge to help ease into the Lexapro from nothing might be a good idea. Thoughts on any of this?

Thanks for the input :)

Cody
Bookmark and Share
There is no emotion, there is peace.
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity.
There is no death, there is the Force.

Online insights

• Rec's: 90
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Just started Lexapro
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 05:55:24 PM »
My GP said to take 2 tablespoons of  omeprazole for my GERD before breakfast, wait 30 minutes to an hour, and then take the 10 ml of Lexapro after breakfast. My problem is that I don't know if it's safe for me to take it again this soon after taking it yesterday afternoon. It'd only be about 19 or 20 hours between doses.

Yes, a 19-20 hour gap will be fine.

my mother and I have decided that using a .25 ml dose of Xanax occasionally as a bridge to help ease into the Lexapro from nothing might be a good idea

Assuming the Xanax has been prescribed for you, then by all means use it to ease any rough spots. The point of medication is to eliminate anxiety as much as possible.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline ObiLaws

• Padawan
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 07:05:43 PM »
So if I'm taking a small dose like 10 ml how bad should the side effects be?
Bookmark and Share

Offline ObiLaws

• Padawan
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 08:22:00 PM »
Oh I just saw the post in the other thread regarding this, sorry about that. He prescribed it to me in the hopes that it'd help me make it through until my graduation in a couple weeks. So I'm not sure if it'd be better to take the full dose or the half dose.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 08:29:31 PM »
So if I'm taking a small dose like 10 ml how bad should the side effects be?

That isn't a small dose, but the full therapeutic dose. Lexapro is a potent antidepressant, hence the low dose compared to the others. The side-effects can vary from none/very mild (most common) to very severe (uncommon). Try not to dwell on this because the mind is quite capable of producing the full gamut of side-effects too if given the opportunity.

So I'm not sure if it'd be better to take the full dose or the half dose.

Taking the full dose will get it working faster so as long as you're not having bad side-effects stay at 10ml.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline ObiLaws

• Padawan
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 09:00:10 PM »
Alright that sounds like a plan. I'll do that and report back on my progress as time goes on.

Thanks Ian :)

Cody
Bookmark and Share

Offline ObiLaws

• Padawan
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 02:41:56 PM »
So it's been about a week and a half on the Lexapro for me now and I've found that it was better to wean up than start at the full dose due to the side effects (nothing super serious, just super crazy yawning to the point that my jaw started to hurt). I've been taking 5 ml per day for about a week now and am wondering what a good way to wean up to 10 ml would be. Should I move up to 7.5 ml for a week and then to 10 or should I do it more slowly?
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 06:20:20 PM »
So it's been about a week and a half on the Lexapro for me now and I've found that it was better to wean up than start at the full dose due to the side effects (nothing super serious, just super crazy yawning to the point that my jaw started to hurt). I've been taking 5 ml per day for about a week now and am wondering what a good way to wean up to 10 ml would be. Should I move up to 7.5 ml for a week and then to 10 or should I do it more slowly?

If the infamous Lexapro Yawn has been your only significant side-effect then you will probably handle a jump directly to 10mg okay, but it really comes down to confidence so go with what your gut is telling you.

BTW-the Yawn usually diminishes after a while, but continues to bother a few. If you're one of the unfortunate ones consider switching to Celexa (citalopram). Although it is effectively the same med the Yawn is less of a factor.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline ObiLaws

• Padawan
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 04:53:45 PM »
So it's been about a week on 7.5ml (I decided to take it cautiously) and I think it may be starting to have an effect. I respond well to medication and this is the beginning of week 4 and my anxiety has been markedly lessened the past couple of days. Hopefully that's a trend that continues. Anyway, I have noticed occasional weak headaches that come and go and some mid-day drowsiness, a few hours after I take it in the morning. Could those be side effects or is it just my body telling me I need rest to recuperate from my month long anxiety binge?
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 06:59:05 PM »
I have noticed occasional weak headaches that come and go and some mid-day drowsiness, a few hours after I take it in the morning. Could those be side effects or is it just my body telling me I need rest to recuperate from my month long anxiety binge?

They are more likely to be side-effects of the med. In most cases they diminish after a few weeks, but may return for a while if the dose is increased.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Tags: