Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: My First Medication - Just Started on Celexa Today...Words of Wisdom?  (Read 461 times)

Offline t-panic

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hello all,

I have just started taking medication for panic disorder today. Yesterday I went to my scheduled doctors appointment to ask him for help with my overwhelming anxiety and panic. This is all still fairly new to me. I had a panic attack right in his office and I hadn't had one like that in over a month. He instantly prescribed Celexa and assured me that what he had just witnessed was just a panic attack.

So now I am starting with 10mg (half pill) for a week and then I am to up it to 20mg (full pill) for the next 8 weeks. Has anyone had any positive results with this medication? I appreciate input but please no negative feedback as it was hard enough to convince myself to take this drug today.

Thanks everyone.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Julie A. Cook

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
My mother has had  terrific success with Celexa!!!!  She's sohappy on it and relaxed, she's gained some weight and she was down by 14 lbs.

You'll do fine and you will recover.

Best of luck to you,

Julie
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rob783

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I take Lexapro which is in the same class of meds (SSRI's).  They typically take a few weeks to build up a therapeutic level in your blood, so be patient with the medication.  Depending on your level of anxiety you might want to see a therapist to help with relaxation and thought techniques.  Good luck with the Celexa.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jessicaaa

• Mood: Energetic
    Energetic
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hey T-panic,

I was on Celexa 20mg for almost three years just came off of it in August. It helped me a lot during the period of time I was on it. I will tell you it takes about 4 to 6 weeks for it to start working. While I was starting it I experienced minimum side effects, nothing bad at all! I started to feel better around the second month of taking it.

I hope sharing my positive experience with you will help!
Best of luck!
Bookmark and Share

Offline simoliz03

• Poke This Member
  Celexa is usually well tolerated by people with fewer side effects.  And I heard if you do have a loved one you are intimate with, it will not really affect you.  Don't be affraid to talk to your doctor.
Bookmark and Share

Offline t-panic

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Thanks everyone.

I am nearing the end of my second week on Celexa. The first week was hard but I think it was mostly because I was nervous about taking an SSRI let alone any medication. There have been very few side affects. It seems to have actually made my body feel better. I am really hoping that it will have the therapeutic effect I am needing. I guess I just have to be patient at this point and see how it works out.

Thanks again.
Bookmark and Share

Online Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 22
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
I used Celexa when it first came out to market, I would say compared to other SSRI - (Prozac, Luvox, Effexor, Paxil, etc....)

This medication was great!  Very few side effects and very gentle on your system compared to the heavy hitters mentioned above  :winking0008:

I had several family members also on Celexa/Lexapro with good results, for me it was the quickest acting antidepressant compared to the others (felt in two weeks vs 4-6 weeks on the other meds.)

Let me know who it continues to work for you!

Good Luck  :nature-smiley-016:
Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline dee_tee

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: My First Medication - Just Started on Celexa Today...Words of Wisdom?
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 04:46:43 PM »
Wanted to see how Celexa was going.....I'm considering anti-anxiety meds and am SO scared!!
Bookmark and Share