Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: New and freaked out  (Read 113 times)

Offline LotusFish

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
New and freaked out
« on: May 14, 2014, 01:30:29 AM »
Another newbie here trying to learn how manage my anxiety. I'm not ready to give my name out or anything but I'll happily shed some light on my circumstances.

I am 31, my problems started 6 months ago, I still have yet to get any of it under control and it just seems to be getting worse instead of better. It started with chest pain and has escaladed to pain in other parts of my body which has, in turn, caused me to be a bit of a hypochondriac. When I can get my mind off of it, I'm great. But when I'm left to my own devices, I'm miserable and scared. I have finally decided to seek out a therapist which I am still looking for.

I work full time, I am a mother to a toddler and I have a husband who is very supportive but he's often out of town for work which I believe is contributing to my anxiety. I am hoping to find some insight here to help me get through this and I am hoping to learn more about it as I go.
Bookmark and Share

Offline crikee57

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 68
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: New and freaked out
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 03:48:36 AM »
Hi LotusFish,

Let me first say, welcome to the forum.  It is great to have you as a member.  This is a wonderful place to get advice and support from people going through similar situations.  The members here are very helpful. It is nice to know we are not alone.

I have been through many of the things your describe with the chest pain and pain in other parts of he body.  My HA (Health Anxiety) fears tend to revolve around my heart.  Distraction helps immensely and I often feel much better when I am busy.  Quiet and solitude can be my worst enemies as they give my mind time to wander.  You mention gaining control of your anxiety, but I would like to tell you that trying to control panic or anxiety etc is a bit of a recipe for disaster.  Anxiety tends to come from a lack of control or feeling like there are things we can not control such as certain health issues.  This attempt to control anxiety tends to feed it and make it a bigger issue.  what has helped me is acceptance.  Seeing the anxiety for what it is and accepting it and the fact that it can't really hurt your.  The instinct is to fight, but next time try not to and the anxiety may pass quicker. Hope you find the info and support you are seeking here.

Feel free to explore the forum.  There are lots of useful topics to read.  Feel free to post and ask questions.  If you have specific concerns or questions start a topic in the appropriate section to get the best feedback. There is also a chat room for members 18 years and older that you can access once you have made three meaningful posts in the forum. 

Again welcome to our community.
Bookmark and Share
It's not what's in front of us that stops us.  It's what's inside that holds us back.

Offline LotusFish

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 02:03:01 PM »
Thank you for the welcome and the advice. I will keep it in mind as I work through this.

Hi LotusFish,

Let me first say, welcome to the forum.  It is great to have you as a member.  This is a wonderful place to get advice and support from people going through similar situations.  The members here are very helpful. It is nice to know we are not alone.

I have been through many of the things your describe with the chest pain and pain in other parts of he body.  My HA (Health Anxiety) fears tend to revolve around my heart.  Distraction helps immensely and I often feel much better when I am busy.  Quiet and solitude can be my worst enemies as they give my mind time to wander.  You mention gaining control of your anxiety, but I would like to tell you that trying to control panic or anxiety etc is a bit of a recipe for disaster.  Anxiety tends to come from a lack of control or feeling like there are things we can not control such as certain health issues.  This attempt to control anxiety tends to feed it and make it a bigger issue.  what has helped me is acceptance.  Seeing the anxiety for what it is and accepting it and the fact that it can't really hurt your.  The instinct is to fight, but next time try not to and the anxiety may pass quicker. Hope you find the info and support you are seeking here.

Feel free to explore the forum.  There are lots of useful topics to read.  Feel free to post and ask questions.  If you have specific concerns or questions start a topic in the appropriate section to get the best feedback. There is also a chat room for members 18 years and older that you can access once you have made three meaningful posts in the forum. 

Again welcome to our community.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Marishanna

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 08:21:50 PM »
I am suffering from some of the same things! I just try to always keep busy and get my mind off of the anxiety. Reading, yoga, exercise, ect. Helps a lot! you have to think good thoughts and completely ignore the anxiety when it comes and go on with your day like it never happend. Dwelling on it will only make it worse and harder to get rid of. (From my experiences) you can be normal again and still go on with life don't let it control you!
Bookmark and Share

Offline LotusFish

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 12:24:58 PM »
Thanks! I'm finding that talking and reading about it on here is really starting help. Being able to relate to other people that don't think I'm crazy for thinking I have a heart problem or something is very reassuring. I'm REALLY glad I found this forum.

I am suffering from some of the same things! I just try to always keep busy and get my mind off of the anxiety. Reading, yoga, exercise, ect. Helps a lot! you have to think good thoughts and completely ignore the anxiety when it comes and go on with your day like it never happend. Dwelling on it will only make it worse and harder to get rid of. (From my experiences) you can be normal again and still go on with life don't let it control you!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: