Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Anemia and colon cancer--again!  (Read 1442 times)

Offline nabila12

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Anemia and colon cancer--again!
« on: May 13, 2014, 07:46:13 PM »
So it is coming up on two years since I was diagnosed with Iron deficiency anemia. Its source remains unexplained, but it gets better with iron supplements and worse without them. I have seen a GI who didn't even mention it, but since the anemia remains unexplained, I have returned to my deep fear that it is caused by colon cancer. My family doctor said it is exceedingly rare in people my age (34) and that there aren't any worrying signs, but still, even when I was only menstruating every four months, whenever I stopped the iron supplements the anemia returned. My anxiety has taken a heavy toll on my marriage and my job. Hoping for sage words of wisdom. Thanks!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline WishfullnHopefull

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anemia and colon cancer--again!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 09:39:10 PM »
i too have anemia and im 18 my diet sucks real bad but colon cancer is in ages to 60 to 80 usally i had this thought to its just a thought off the unkown realise that you are okay also if you did have colon cancer you would  be extremly thin did you check your diet?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ihadcancer

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 09:04:05 AM »
May I suggest you both insist on colonoscopies if the anemia cannot be dx'd and check out www.colonclub.com which was started by some 20 somethings who had colon cancer.  If you look at the calendar models over the years, you'll find 16 and 17 year old girls with c/c.

Not saying this to scare you because anemia with no other symptoms is not a symptom of c/c and c/c in the young is usually the type that runs in families (you'd know since they would have been ill or died very young).  Still worth a look!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brick5711

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 01:01:23 PM »
I had anemia in high school....i finally had a colonoscopy at 22 and had a 4 cm polyp. Insist on a colonoscopy
Bookmark and Share

Offline nabila12

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 02:28:23 PM »
Thank you all for your replies:

WishfullnHopefull: I have carefully examined and tried to improve my diet to consume more iron, including the resumption of eating meat (I was a vegetarian). Unfortunately, these changes alone have not been sufficient to eradicate the anemia.

Ihadcancer: I sent you a private message. I do have some other symptoms of colon cancer, like weight loss, nausea, and vomiting. My GI is looking into the nausea and vomiting. Had an endoscopy in March. They found nothing. Having a gastric emptying study on May 30 related to the nausea and vomiting. Fortunately, I have no family history of colon cancer.

Brick5711: Brick, what finally convinced you or your doctors to do a colonoscopy?

To all--I have scheduled an appointment with my GI next week strictly to discuss the undiagnosed anemia. If he doesn't suggest it, I will certainly inquire, if not insist, on a colonoscopy, if for no other reason than to put my mind at ease.
Bookmark and Share

Offline yahoo2000

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 02:29:37 PM »
My mother had anemia all her life, not sure what it was from. I do not have it but always tend me be on low side of normal.

However I do recommend colonscopy, it's quick and for me painless. The hard part is prep.

I know it sounds scary that you ppl on here suggesting you get colonscopy but it's only for piece of mind. I highly doubt you have colon cancer at 34, there would be increase if you had a family history of colon cancer at a young age, i beeive it's called FAPP. But as far as sporadic colon cancer at 34, that's too too rare. Also if you had CBC, your hematocrit would be really low if blood loss was coming from something serious.
Bookmark and Share

Offline leah2013

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 03:11:03 PM »
I have low ferritin (3) and my hemoglobin is 11.8 (should be 12). Went to gyno and got u/s and hormone profile. I had 3 cysts in my ovary, hormones are ok. Do you have heavy periods? mine are.

I am getting a colonoscopy next week for peace of mind (GI told me he is sure he won't find anything scary).

What is your ferritin number, hemo, and hema? I would insist in the colonoscopy, but changes are it's ok. I am 37.
Bookmark and Share
Going thru a rough patch! Praying for peace of mind and happiness!!!!

Offline leah2013

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 03:11:36 PM »
Also what other symptoms are you having?
Bookmark and Share
Going thru a rough patch! Praying for peace of mind and happiness!!!!

Offline nabila12

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 06:47:00 PM »
Last CBC was in March and had the following numbers (keep in mind I am on iron supplements and have been for months):
Hemoglobin: 12.8
Hematocrit: 38.2

I haven't had a ferritin test in almost two years, but it was 7 the last time it was done. As for other symptoms, I have been experiencing nausea and vomiting for the past few months. GI did an endoscopy in March, was completely normal. I am having a gastric emptying test on May 30.
Bookmark and Share

Offline nabila12

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 06:48:21 PM »
And no, my periods are not heavy, adding to the mystery.
Bookmark and Share

Offline nabila12

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 06:59:17 PM »
One more thing. I recently got admitted to a graduate program I didn't think I would be admitted to, I was given new responsibilities at work that I really want, and my marriage is finally in a stable place again after almost six months of uncertainty. So, I think now that things are going well in my life and I have stopped worrying about getting into grad school, hating my job, or losing my marriage, HA has reared its ugly head again and latched onto the anemia/colon cancer worry again to fill the worry void. It seems I have to have SOMETHING to worry about.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brick5711

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2014, 07:26:14 PM »
I was bleeding every day. The blood was obvious. It was fresh but it was in the sigmoid colon very close to the exit. When I was on iron my hemoglobin did go up. At first, i did not notice the blood. My grandmother also had colon cancer and her only symptom was being anemic. I dont have heavy periods and my iron was low even when i did not have period because of birth control.
Bookmark and Share

Offline nabila12

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2014, 09:13:30 PM »
Brick--sounds like our situations are very similar, though I have never noticed any blood in my stool.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brick5711

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2014, 09:43:54 PM »
Bleeding is not always obvious. My grandmother never noticed blood. I didnt have cancer. I just had a polyp. But if you do have a polyp and it is on the right hand side you will not notice blood. You can very well have anemia for other reasons. Maybe your body does not react to iron supplements and you need it through IV. I know a lady who her leverls were a 5 qnd it was from diet. But she also had a colonoscopy to rule out anything. Anyone with unexplained anemia should et a colonoscopy. I had a follow up colonoscopy and did not have any new polyps.
Bookmark and Share

Offline nabila12

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2014, 09:57:26 PM »
Brick--my body responds well to iron supplements. My last hemoglobin level was 12.8 and that is on iron supplements.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: