Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: WORRIED ABOUT BLOOD SUGAR / Need you guys  (Read 235 times)

Offline NytViolet

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
WORRIED ABOUT BLOOD SUGAR / Need you guys
« on: May 13, 2014, 01:56:30 PM »
 :angry:  So I went to my physician today to get my bloodtest results (CBC w/ differential, TSH, etc.).  All were perfect EXCEPT my fasting blood glucose which was 102 (damnit!!).  I clearly remember the night before the blood-test, I was gorging on a bag of Bit O' Honey candies (ate about 7-8 of them - love those things).  This was around 12:30 A.M., and I had my "fasting" blood work the next morning at 8:00 A.M. (so there was about 7-1/2 before I had blood drawn).  The night before, I recall thinking, "I need to stop munching on these candies, because I'm supposed to be fasting".  Now, instead of feeling relieved, I am absolutely FREAKING out about the possibility of pre-diabetes and pancreas problems.  I had blood work 3 months ago and my sugar was only 92, so I was surprised.  I can't stand the idea of having to deal with diabetes.  Are there any nurses, diabetics or other people "in the know" out there who can give me some encouraging words about this?  My brother said that once he forgot about his test (which was at 11am) and had coffee with sugar around 6:30 am that morning and his number was about 140.  Is it possible that a late night candy binge would be apparent 7.5 hours later?  I need your input guys before I waste another day Googling "early diabetes".  I appreciate your help, as always.
Bookmark and Share
God does not give us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Offline NytViolet

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: WORRIED ABOUT BLOOD SUGAR / Need you guys
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 08:00:57 PM »
Really?  No one else but me worries about this? LOL
Bookmark and Share
God does not give us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Offline kazoo

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 08:13:08 PM »
I am actually pre diabetic and have adopted a low carb diet to try to stave off diabetes.  I don't think a one-time high reading is necessarily bad.  If you are concerned, have the test again, after fasting for 12 hours.  And you can request a test called the A1C which measures average blood glucose over a 3 month period. That might give you more info than a single fasting test.

I don't think eating candies should alter your blood sugar 7 hours later.  But I would say to repeat the test as it should be with the fast.

If, and I do mean IF, you are pre diabetic, you should thank your lucky stars to have caught it early.  Most people do not find out until they are full blown diabetic.  I am 50 years old and on the thin side, and so I didn't think I would get diabetes (but I do have a family history for sure).  Like you, I was shocked to see I wasn't immune to it and it was a possibility.  If you find out early, you can control this with lifestyle changes. I am not on any meds at all.

Sugar and candy aren't good for ANYONE.  Even if you turn out to be perfectly normal, cutting out sugar and starches from your diet will help you in the long run.  Your brother also has some reason to be concerned, as a non-diabetic's number should drop farther than that after 4 and a half hours.
Bookmark and Share

Offline NytViolet

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 08:49:59 PM »
Thanks Kazoo, I appreciate the thoughtful and intelligent answer.  I just had it tested 4 months ago, and is was only 92, so I was shocked.  Neither of my parents have diabetes, but my grandmother did.  I could stand to lose some weight and have a sweet tooth that needs to be pulled :)  Keep up the good work with controlling your sugar -- I know several folks who do quite well with this (and some who do not).  Blessings!
Bookmark and Share

Offline dlwood62

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 09:39:41 AM »
I don't think there is anything to worry about. After having to deal with this with my mother, grandmother, and mother-in-law plus having a 24 year old nephew that had to start taking insulin at age 13 I know more about diabeties than I ever whated to!!
Right now my dr and I are discussing things because my reading has been 107 for over a year - on a 12 hour fast. Because of my family history he wants to keep an eye on things. I am okay with that except that just a few years ago if your count was under 120 they said everything was fine -- just recently they dropped the number to 110. I haven't been able to get a straight answer as to why the drop. It makes me think the pharmacutical company have something to do with it --- drop the number and more drs will prescribe meds, and those kinds of meds are usually pretty expensive!!!
My suggestion would be to keep an eye on what is going on -- do have an A1C at least once a year. Also, if you are aware of the symptoms of high sugar counts you can tell if you are going to high!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline NytViolet

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 09:54:24 AM »
Thanks for replying. I too saw that some doctors call 102 normal and was confused about the diff in opinions. I'm overweight and need to loose some lbs. my dr has me returning in August for another test. My main fear right now is PC so seeing the number go from 92 to 102 was a bummer.  Best of luck with you testing as well. Hugs!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rob783

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 10:26:52 AM »
Dont worry about a 102 reading.  Normal fasting is between 80-120.  When I was first checked my A1C ( basically a 2-3 month blood sugar test) was 12 so my fasting blood sugar was between 250-300.  Its under control now with oral meds and diet.  When you do a fasting test don't eat anything after your dinner the night before.  Even IF you became a diabetic its a very manageable disease so don't put too much thought into it.
Bookmark and Share