Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Newbie and so glad to have found this site!!  (Read 95 times)

Offline BamaErin

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Newbie and so glad to have found this site!!
« on: May 13, 2014, 10:34:57 AM »
Hi everyone!  This is my first post.  I'm Erin, 35, mom to 4 kids under the age of 10 and pretty new to this whole anxiety thing.  I've always been very type A, strung a little tight but it wasn't until about a year ago that I actually felt anxious and then had my first panic attack. Since then it has gone down hill quickly.  My husband does not understand and is quickly losing patience with me and the care I am receiving for the anxiety.  I am just scared and alone.  And very thankful to have found this site and hopefully people that understand.  I look forward to getting to know y'all and hopefully get some relief and knowledge to help dealing with anxiety so I can have much better days.
Bookmark and Share

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 21
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Newbie and so glad to have found this site!!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 10:59:15 AM »
Hello Erin, and welcome to Anxiety Zone!  My name is Chuck, and I am one of the Global Moderators here on the site.  I am also a fellow Alabamian, living in Mobile.

You are now a member of our community, where you will find support and advice from other members in similar situations.   It's always nice to find someone else who understands, and to know you're not alone.

We have sections in the forum that address specific concerns, so feel free to post or start a new topic in the section that best fits your situation.  Feel free to explore the rest of the forum.  You may find the other topics helpful, and you may be able to offer advice or support to someone else.

We also have a chat room for members over the age of 18.  Once you have made three meaningful posts, you will be allowed access to the chat room.

Erin, panic disorder/panic attacks is a real disease process with an actual organic origin.  This disorder has nothing to do with situational anxiety, which we all get from time-to-time.  And no, this is not a disorder that you can pull yourself up by the boot straps, and go on your merry way.

Over time, brain cells in the hippocampus region of the brain can be damaged or destroyed by stress hormones, such as cortisol,  that our own bodies produce.  This can lead to chronic conditions of anxiety and/or depression.

For my mental health needs, I see a psychiatrist.  Psychiatrists are medical doctors.  They can provide you with a diagnosis, prescribe medication if necessary, and develop a treatment plan tailored just for your needs.  I also see a psychologist/therapist, and she is teaching me cognitive behavioral therapy.  I am on anti-depressant therapy for my anxiety/panic attacks, and plan on being on an anti-depressant for the rest of my life.

If you haven't already done so, I would highly suggest that you seek out medical professionals that deal specifically with the treatment of anxiety disorder.  Also, if your husband knows that you are on the Anxiety Zone site, you may consider sharing my response with him.  It might give him a clearer picture of what you are dealing with.

Again, welcome to Anxiety Zone, Bama.  The very best to you!...  Chuck :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share

Offline birdwings

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 07:21:15 PM »
Welcome - I'm new too and hoping to find support as well - hope to see you around.
Bookmark and Share

Offline BamaErin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 08:06:15 PM »
Thank you so much Chuck for your response.  I recently was referred to a clinician at a psychiatrists office that prescribed me paxil, hydroxyzine, and klonopin.  So far I have not tolerated the medicine very well.  I also have started seeing a therapist in that same office.  She is very busy however and I only can see her 1x a month.  So I am trying to find someone else to talk with in hopes I do not have to take the medication.  I would prefer to learn more natural ways of dealing with my anxiety, which tends to be mostly health anxiety.  I am really looking forward to what I can learn on this site.  Thanks again!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline BamaErin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 08:07:43 PM »
Thank you birdwings!  I hope we both can find relief with like minds on this site! 
Bookmark and Share

Offline nitsyrk18

• I love butteflies - a sign of new life!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 01:40:31 AM »
We all have people in our life that don't understand. I've been struggling for a long time with anxiety and recently I've found that peer support is one of the most helpful things! I am new to the site too but I think it will be great!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: