Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Hypochondria ALS, MS  (Read 252 times)

Offline erika13

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hypochondria ALS, MS
« on: May 13, 2014, 09:54:57 AM »
Hi everyone, im new here and i dont know if im posting this in the right place, but i hope i am
(sorry if this is lengthy)
I have had hypochondria for a really long time, it started after a doctor suggested that i had symptoms of cancer. After that it was all i could ever think about, however when i got all the tests back they were fine but i had become obsessed with the idea that i would be diagnosed with a terminal illness or any illness for that matter.
For the years that followed this, i would hear about certain diseases off people or on tv etc and soon enough, convince myself i had it. This included many types of cancer, heart disease, tumors etc. Another incident was when one of my friends got alopecia and all of her hair fell out. i soon started to believe that my hair was falling out and it even begun to due to the amount of stress i was experiencing. That was just an intro so you understand the way i am when it comes to illnesses.
Recently i have found out that someone i know has been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, at first i didnt know much about it and got people to explain it to me, i even researched it a bit to find out more. So you know how it goes, i now think i may have it, the idea of this has been causing me a lot of stress for a while now and has caused me to have a great deal of panic attacks (and i mean a lot).
so i have had the following symptoms for months now, they include: muscle pain, cracky joints, muscle twitches (in pretty much every part of my body), tingling sensations mainly on my back/shoulderblades and arms, fatigue. i went to a neuro because of my concern and he tested me and said i had nothing to worry about. however i have noticed that these symptoms have been getting a lot worse and im not coping that well, its all i think about and i find it very hard to focus on anything else, it has caused many many emotional breakdowns, and my ADD has gotten worse
what i really would like to know is if anyone else here has ever experienced the same thing? or knows if anxiety and stress could cause these symptoms (tingling, twitching, weakness)?
thanks for reading, i know its long and thanks to anyone who responds  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Offline madmexican808

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Hypochondria ALS, MS
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 11:27:08 AM »
Hi everyone, im new here and i dont know if im posting this in the right place, but i hope i am
(sorry if this is lengthy)
I have had hypochondria for a really long time, it started after a doctor suggested that i had symptoms of cancer. After that it was all i could ever think about, however when i got all the tests back they were fine but i had become obsessed with the idea that i would be diagnosed with a terminal illness or any illness for that matter.
For the years that followed this, i would hear about certain diseases off people or on tv etc and soon enough, convince myself i had it. This included many types of cancer, heart disease, tumors etc. Another incident was when one of my friends got alopecia and all of her hair fell out. i soon started to believe that my hair was falling out and it even begun to due to the amount of stress i was experiencing. That was just an intro so you understand the way i am when it comes to illnesses.
Recently i have found out that someone i know has been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, at first i didnt know much about it and got people to explain it to me, i even researched it a bit to find out more. So you know how it goes, i now think i may have it, the idea of this has been causing me a lot of stress for a while now and has caused me to have a great deal of panic attacks (and i mean a lot).
so i have had the following symptoms for months now, they include: muscle pain, cracky joints, muscle twitches (in pretty much every part of my body), tingling sensations mainly on my back/shoulderblades and arms, fatigue. i went to a neuro because of my concern and he tested me and said i had nothing to worry about. however i have noticed that these symptoms have been getting a lot worse and im not coping that well, its all i think about and i find it very hard to focus on anything else, it has caused many many emotional breakdowns, and my ADD has gotten worse
what i really would like to know is if anyone else here has ever experienced the same thing? or knows if anxiety and stress could cause these symptoms (tingling, twitching, weakness)?
thanks for reading, i know its long and thanks to anyone who responds  :happy0151:

I made a thread earlier about als. I started having twitching in my neck a few days ago after a workout then next thing I know by left forearm felt tight then it would come and go. so far right neck and left forearm did that. yesterday left tricep twitched a couple of times. I haven't went to doc because it may be caused by me getting back into MMA after an injury layoff but I will keep an eye on it. From what I been told on here, twitches are a late symptom of ALS meaning the weakness would have been showing and muscle wasting would of shown as well. weakness as in clinical meaning you can't walk well or pick up things. simple things you struggle with it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline NytViolet

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 01:43:44 PM »
As I told another posted, I wasted a YEAR of my life convinced I had ALS and visited 3 different neurologists.  There's something called "Benign Fasciculation Syndrome" that is terribly common, and twitches are also caused by muscle fatigue, sugar, caffeine, stress, fibromyalgia, dehydration, energy drinks, or just plain nothing.  I've had mine 17 years and am still managing a home and family and working 45-50 hours per week.  Twitches are NOTHING and are present in just about everyone (but to different extents).  To a hypochondriac, ours are made worse by the constant anxiety.  Please let go of the ALS fear -- I'm positive you are fine :)  HUGS  ::)
Bookmark and Share
God does not give us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Offline Venomsoar

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 02:04:23 PM »

All of the symptoms you are describing can be caused by stress/anxiety. You went to see a neurologists and he said you were fine - you need to trust the professional otherwise who else are you going to trust? The severity of your symptoms could be increasing due to the fact that your anxiety is also increasing. You are getting yourself into a vicious circle which you need to break out from. You started with being anxious - you already know that. And from there, you started experiencing anxiety symptoms. Then you start to worry about those symptoms which inevitably makes them worse - which will also increase your anxiety and the cycle repeats.

Getting into a vicious circle is very easy for us anxiety sufferers. And although it may seem as though it is impossible to get out of one, getting out of the circle is just as easy as getting into one when you learn your anxiety and your body.

You need to trust the professional and believe that the symptoms are caused by anxiety. The moment that you start to believe they are anxiety related, the worry about the symptoms start to reduce. When the symptoms start to reduce, this will reassure you that they was indeed anxiety related symptoms all along. And this is true if they come back. Even if they come back worse - so long as you have been through the same symptoms before and know that they will pass, you will be able to maintain your anxiety.

I had eye twitching for literally months - I thought I had a brain tumour. From then I started to develop headaches that would last for a week and my face started to feel numb. I drove myself crazy. But then I realised that when I was distracted and less anxious, the symptoms would disappear right until I thought about them again. When I have episodes of anxiety, it is only after the periods that physical symptoms start to manifest themselves.

For example, for the past month, I worried (for one week) about having HIV. I then developed insomnia which made me think I had sporadic fatal insomnia (don't look this up if you don't know what this is). This drove me crazy. I was literally up for 36 hours straight in constant panic mode. I went in and out of a vicious circle of worrying about not sleeping which kept me awake - which increased my worry about not sleeping - which further kept me awake. It is only just now that I have started to experience face numbness and twitching despite the fact that I am calming down from that episode. These symptoms are the result of the last month of feeling constantly anxious. The symptoms will probably last for a few weeks before my body starts to adjust and get back to "normal".
Bookmark and Share

Tags: