Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Jumping on the lymphoma-fear bandwagon  (Read 205 times)

Offline Jess0617

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Jumping on the lymphoma-fear bandwagon
« on: May 12, 2014, 05:29:24 PM »
I've never really worried about this before but now I can't stop because I found what I think is a swollen lymph node under my chin on the right. You can only feel it if you push down feeling for it and it feels like a rubbery bouncy ball, is kidney bean shaped, and it's mobile. It doesn't hurt. I am convinced now I have lymphoma and can't stop feeling around. I've also lost 10 lbs since January but I figured it was from anxiety. I also have been having little to no appetite. I've been waking up with a sore throat that goes away during the day and I've had a stuffy nose for a long time now. I'm so worried but I don't want to go to the doctor :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Descent

• Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Only thing to fear is fear itself
    • Poke This Member
Re: Jumping on the lymphoma-fear bandwagon
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 05:44:18 PM »
Anxiety and depression can very easily cause weight loss. I lost 20 pounds these past couple months due to illness, anxiety and depression. I also haven't had much of an appetite. My doctor knows this, he wasn't worried.

I also have been trying to come to grips with lymphoma fears, it's a shame that it affects so many of us...  :(

I have swollen lymph nodes in my neck right now along with a clogged nose and "stuffed" throat. It's allergies. That's what it sounds like for me and that's what it sounds like for you. You have to believe that. Also understand that stress and anxiety can cause swollen lymph nodes or make them worse.

If we "had" lymphoma, we'd most likely be running fevers and have golf ball sized lymph nodes. If it's not getting bigger, it's most likely not cancer.
Bookmark and Share
Currently afraid of: Bacterial infections, toxic ingestions

Offline Jess0617

Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 08:03:36 PM »
It scares the hell out of me, I've been losing sleep over it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Descent

• Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Only thing to fear is fear itself
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 09:49:50 PM »
I can definitely relate, but fortunately the chances are high that it's something silly like allergies and/or anxiety.  :grinning-smiley-003:

Also, read this post if you need further reassurances: http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,73559.0.html
Bookmark and Share
Currently afraid of: Bacterial infections, toxic ingestions

Offline Jess0617

Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 10:35:22 PM »
That post helped me a bit, thank you. I unfortunately fall in the age group most at risk though, I'm turning 20 in June. I also have a friend who was diagnosed with lymphoma in January and another who just finished chemo for lymphoma from my high school and he is a year younger than I am. I don't even know if what I am feeing is a lymph node but I am assuming it is, otherwise its a swollen salivary gland. I just want all this anxiety to go away.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jess0617

Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 12:51:19 AM »
Does anybody else know anything or have any reassuring words? It makes me nervous when people don't respond because I think people agree with me
Bookmark and Share

Offline ProofAutumn8246

• They don't think it be like it is but it do.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 02:04:01 AM »
Hey Jess! I completely understand where you're coming from. I also has a lymph node scare a few weeks ago. I was so terrified I couldn't leave the house or sleep or eat or anything! I had lost 8 pounds in 3 weeks before I discovered my node, and I was sure that was a bad, bad sign.

But I went to the doctor and she checked mine out and saw nothing wrong with it. She said it's incredibly common, especially when the body has been fighting off an infection. Anything from allergies to tooth aches to stubbed toes could make your nodes swell up!

Anxiety is a huge factor of sudden weight loss. Anxiety has plenty of physical symptoms that many people don't even think about. I believe you have absolutely nothing to worry over, but if you still are worried, go to a doctor and get reassured.
Bookmark and Share
In the scheme of things it doesn't matter much.~

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 35
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 08:50:07 PM »
Sorry about your friends - I hope they're doing well!  Even at your age lymphoma is really rare, even if it doesn't feel like it.  Kidney bean shaped and mobile means normal node.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sammy13

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 12:06:15 AM »
Ive seen more and more lymphoma posts just over the last few days and I never really saw any before that, and now I have fears too because of swollen nodes in my neck. Its terrible but this also shows me that there must be something causing this rise of lymphoma fears. Most areas of the U.S are expirienceing changing temps and very high pollen rates after a long winter so if you suffer from allergies from what Ive read this is a big cause of swollen nodes. and then when you start poking and prodding it it doesnt help. The node will get irritated and grow bigger. Lymphoma is common according to researchers but the numbers are 1 in 50 during their life span will be diagnosed with lymphoma. But more than half of thos are over the age of 65. Best bet is to see a doctor to set your mind at ease but after this info hopefully itll help you see how unlikey it is you will be diagnosed. Especially since you have HA is it any wonder you found a lump? us with HA find every little thing and this is what drives our disease so stay calm and think rationally about this to sooth your nerves. Hope this helped
Bookmark and Share

Offline LotusFish

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 01:24:21 PM »
I just recently went to my OB after finding lumps in my breast and underarm. Of course, when I got there, the one it my underarm was gone and she said there's nothing to worry about the ones in my breasts.

It's exhausting constantly worrying about this, especially since my grandfather died of lymphoma.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: