Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Oscar Pistorius, who murdered his gf, claims to have GAD  (Read 766 times)

Offline CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Oscar Pistorius, who murdered his gf, claims to have GAD
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2014, 02:54:15 PM »
It does look like they are using the fact that he has GAD as a last ditch effort to explain the reason for why he did what he did.  But, that does not mean GAD can cause someone to come to the point where they can commit murder----we have more control over our choices that that!  We may not be able to control certain aspects of GAD, but choosing right from wrong is still in our control. 
Bookmark and Share

Online AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2014, 02:56:13 PM »
Let's see....GAD. If I had a gun, the only person who would be at even the slightest risk at any point would be myself. And only when my symptoms are severe does my mind go down that line of thinking. In my most intense anxiety I could not fathom taking a life.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 167
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2014, 04:51:39 PM »
He was violent towards her? He did not force her to stay at his place. This does send me back to those days with OJ and that team of his. Days watching that circus. He murdered 2 people.

Pistorius' defense couldn't even coach him properly for his time with that prosecutor. He would not be tolerated here. Even if he gets off, the life he carved out for himself is done for anyway. A double tragedy.

How many women stay in abusive relationships? Easy to say she could have left him. He never forced her to stay at his place. I am sure she thought they still had something. Thus she stuck with him. As a lot of abused women do. Only a case of if you want to believe he thought she was a burglar or not? This woman he lived with a knew so well. How someone can claim such a big mistake is the whole thing. That is his defence. Which isn't cutting it with most people out there.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2014, 06:43:13 PM »
Of all possible psych issues for him, GAD is only one possibility. This poor soul had to deal with so much in his very young life as well as later on. Who can even begin to imagine such trauma?

As far as I know, they knew each other only 3 months. Read something that said she was merely staying that night, too tired to drive home. My problem is I am unable to reconstruct a scenario, refusing to buy into Nel's reconstruction. He may well have thought he heard an intruder in the bathroom where a window was open. In his fear, awoken out of sleep, he forgot about R. Grabbed his gun and leaped out of bed. I never detected anything that his possible abusiveness (was he abusive?) went as far as it did. He needs that dream team defense because I do not believe he intentionally killed her. The ultimate culprit here may be the gun and the ready availability of guns. We have a terrible problem with them here.
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2014, 08:12:27 PM »
Apparently his life's issues and GAD didn't keep him from being an excellent athlete----which takes a lot of mental determination and strength.  So one has to wonder, if he had the mental fortitude to excel in his sport the way that he did, could he not have the will to overcome his past, then?  He doesn't strike me as a weak person.

Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2014, 09:14:27 PM »
Indeed, there is so much to ponder here. For sure he is not a weak person. In fact, he is heroic in what he accomplished to overcome his trauma, his GAD, or whatever.

There have also been pictures of him helping children with the same trauma, holding their hand, encouraging them. So it is near impossible for me to view him as a cold blooded murderer.
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2014, 10:08:49 PM »
Tina, I agree, there are always two sides to a story, but sometimes I feel defense attorney's use their reasons for 'defense' as a way to get sympathy from the jury, because really, GAD?  Kind of reminds me of trials where it seemed like the defense was looking for sympathy---the Menedes bros.---Casie Anthony.  In Casie Anthony's trial the reason she was found innocent was because of the 'reasonable doubt' though----but I still found that verdict shocking.  With all that said, the fact of the matter is Oscar Pistorius committed murder, and murder is against the law---he thought it was an intruder, but it wasn't, he should have made certain who was there in his bathroom-----if he truly didn't know.  Why would an intruder be in the bathroom anyway?  Why didn't he call out his girlfriends name to make sure it wasn't her etc.  I don't know, seems to be a tough case, my prediction is he will be found guilty, but on lesser charges probably, and not do much time.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Poke This Member
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2014, 05:44:33 AM »
I just think he looking to get the charge reduced to a lesser charge. Not one of murder. Murder will keep him in prison for most of the rest of his life. Any lesser charge and he will serve a few years. I think he knows that people are not buying his story. So now it is only a case of trying to not to get charged with murder. Prisons in South Africa are run by gangs. If he gets time he will be isolated for his own safety. A gang known as the Numbers gang run the prisons in South Africa. It is accepted by others that they run the prison. What they say goes. They have a whole system which dictates who gives orders to who within the gangs. Based around a number basis. If you are part of the 29's you give orders to the 26's. Prison guards let them get on with their way of life. Crime is rampant within the prisons. Why do I mention this? They may decide to keep him out of all of that. Protecting him in prison may mean locking him up for 23 hours a day. He would be a target from day 1 because of who he is.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2014, 08:07:18 AM »
You sure know a lot about those hells on earth. And, CarrieAnn, when you bring up those other cases, we are reminded that regardless of defense lawyers the lives involved are destroyed. I always want to know how the criminals became criminals. Sometimes people write books about them. Know of one shrink who wrote about Casey Anthony.

Oscar is going for evaluation on an outpatient basis. GAD may find a new place in the annals of law precedents. Regardless, his life is as surely destroyed as hers. GAD people won't be able to buy guns. That may well save lives in the future.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Poke This Member
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2014, 09:40:18 AM »
I don't think any GAD ruling will change world laws. May change laws in South Africa. It would have to be pleaded in other cases in other countries. I just don't see it as the likes of bi-polar or something similar that might change your whole mood and make you do something you are unaware of. I was surprised he opted for GAD and not one of many other forms of mental illnesses. Again, they might be using it as a way of keeping him out of prison. May have him placed in a hospital instead. Just something I am thinking they are chasing after. If his own legal team know he pulled the trigger they still have to defend him. If they know he is going down they will always try their best for either a reduction in sentence or in this case some form of mental health issue. Clutching at straws. But if it works they will be happy. As for books. He can't write about it. I know that is the law in most countries. Killer can't profit from his crimes. He would have to tell all to another person to do the writing aspect of things.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2014, 10:42:50 AM »
It's a reprieve for the moment, but changes nothing. GAD, I suppose, because he fits fight and not flight. He pulled the trigger, no mystery there. He needed to grab R and flee.

Can anyone be happy here? Not that I can imagine. He could write a book and donate all proceeds to a memorial of R or whatever the family chooses. Sure want to be a fly on the wall for his evaluation. Gun control in So Africa could be a start. Will we know anything of his evaluation while in progress? Probably not.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Poke This Member
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2014, 01:39:49 PM »
Have to wait till the judge makes her mind up if it is to be allowed. She will be told of what they think of him and his GAD. I would imagine she would then make a ruling as if it can be allowed as a form of evidence. If it serves any purpose in the case or not. If she thinks it won't serve any purpose at all, we not hear anything more about his GAD. May all be done behind closed doors. That aspect of it. Until the judge makes a ruling as to if it played a part in what happened or not.

Book wise. If he is pleading not guilty I don't think he will want to do a tell all book. If he is going for a lesser charge, again, there may be aspects of it that he won't want known. We can have the version he is telling everybody. But most people don't believe that version. I am sure we will get his version in some form and then the popular version from another writer.

As for gun control in South Africa. In certain parts of the Country gun crimes are very high. Stopping your car at traffic lights could mean death for you. Car jacking is a major thing over there. Only a few months back we had the driver shoot the car jacker. Not sure about their laws on guns. But the average person seems to be able to carry them to protect themselves. Just from reading and watching programmes on TV it makes you aware of the gun crimes. It is very high in certain areas. But the ones with the guns on the streets don't have them in the legal sense. At times they are better armed than the police. I don't think a crime with a gun is surprising people. I think it is more just the person involved. Well known and all of that.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline CarrieAnn

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2014, 03:43:46 PM »
I just wanted to say in all honesty, I have not been following the Pistorius case, my comments are just for the GAD defense being used-----I think a better defense for him would have been PTSD, because of his past trauma in his life.  I did see a clip on the news today that he may be hospitalized for anxiety, and they have concerns whether he is fit to stand trial or not.  I wanted to learn more so I looked up the trial online---one website had photos of the trial, those photos of him made me feel sorry for him, actually---he just looked so very distraught to say the least.  But the only person who knows what happened is him, the court is only there to present all the evidence from the prosecuting and defense side all in the hopes of a fair trial so that justice can be served.  But in the end I agree it is tragic for all involved.
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2014, 05:40:53 PM »
One would think you are from So. Africa with all your judicial insight. Then maybe you like publishing and know how that goes. There will be books, no doubt, and possibly not a glimmer of truth.

Se we could go to So. Africa and avoid hiring any assassin if we want out. Yes, guns are big there and so maybe not such a big deal re Oscar. Images of him and Reeva are a heartbreaker. And Oscar as a child is what I can't shake altogether. With his fate he can have GAD, PTSD, OCD and whatever else there is. His fame can't obliterate any of it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2014, 01:20:26 PM »
The trial is resuming tomorrow even though one examining doctor had a heart attack. Must have been too much stress.

Can't help wanting to know the truth about Oscar. Have not been able to come up with any reason why he'd want to shoot Reeva.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: