Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Oscar Pistorius, who murdered his gf, claims to have GAD  (Read 923 times)

Offline worldbeat99

• Rec's: 11
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Oscar Pistorius, who murdered his gf, claims to have GAD
« on: May 12, 2014, 05:28:19 PM »
The following is from the ABC news website reporting that Pistorius has Generalized Anxiety Disorder and that may have
contributed to his murdering his girlfriend.

I've never heard GAD linked to the impulse to kill.  Sounds a bit fishy to me and might demonize people with GAD.
What do you think?

Oscar Pistorius, 27, is charged with murdering his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp during a loud argument before dawn on Valentine's Day 2013. He claims he mistook his lover for a burglar when he fired four times through a locked bathroom door.

His defense team questioned forensic psychiatrist Merryll Vorster today about Pistorius and she told the court that he suffers from general anxiety disorder from a series of crushing losses that began with the amputations of his legs as an infant, the loss of his mother when he was 15 and estrangement from his father at age 21.

Vorster also testified that, because of his physical disability and difficulty in fleeing, Pistorius has a propensity to fight when he is confronted with a fight or flight situation.

"I am saying his reaction to situations would be different... not that of a normal, able-bodied person’s reactions if they did not have the disorder,” Vorster testified.
Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Oscar Pistorius, who murdered his gf, claims to have GAD
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 05:31:45 PM »
from THE TELEGRAPH, UK I think.  There is good info and bad info here...

GAD affects an estimated one in every 25 people in the UK and results in them struggling to relax, concentrate or sleep. It can be treated with medication or cognitive behavioural therapy.

Prof Vorster said that as a result of his mental condition coupled with his disability, Pistorius would not have reacted to the perceived threat of an intruder in his home the way an “able-bodied person” would.

She said he was able to distinguish right from wrong but the anxiety disorder might have “affected his ability to act in accordance” with those values.
“If he was afraid that there was an intruder, then having a generalised anxiety disorder would have affected the way he reacted,” she said.

“Is a person with a gun and an anxiety disorder dangerous?” Mr Nel asked the psychiatrist. “Yes,” she replied.

Bookmark and Share

Offline WorriedDude22

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 05:44:10 PM »
I'm clearly no expert on GAD or legal trials.  However, I think that is all made up.  I work in the news industry and have been following the trial.  GAD will not cause someone to kill.  Again, I'm no expert, but his case is so fishy to begin with and I think it's unraveling before his eyes.  His story has changed so much, especially with the claims that he thought his girlfriend was an "intruder" and shot her through the door, etc.  I think he has some issues, however GAD is not the basis of his motive.  He knows what he did, and he's trying to save himself at this point.  Again, just my opinion.  I think what he's trying to do is sick, by coupling GAD with a killing.
Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 06:01:55 PM »
I agree, WorriedDude, I think they're grasping at straws.  On one hand, I'm glad if it brings visibility to the GAD condition.
But I find it offensive that they are trying to blame his violent actions on GAD.  I have never heard any correlation between
the condition and violence.
Bookmark and Share

Offline WorriedDude22

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 06:09:59 PM »
If he truly thought it was an intruder, then his defense would be he acted in self defense... and I think people would be more understanding.  But now he's trying to use GAD... and he shot multiple times? I think he's just trying to get sympathy however he can.  I truly believe it's not GAD... and more of an anger issue/getting caught up in the moment/domestic violence. Again... I wasn't there.  I just think it's sick how people use mental issues or "insanity" as a reasoning.  I think some people may actually have those issues... however I feel a lot of people try to use it as a crutch during trials... and it's making a bad name for people who suffer with things like GAD... that would never be violent or commit a crime like murder.
Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 06:21:22 PM »
I was talking about these issues on the CNN site and the level of ignorance about mental health conditions is surprising.
One post said that Pistorius was in a fight or flight situation.

I explained that GAD would be more likely to cause one to flee than the fight.  And that GAD is like 24/7 anxiety.

The poster responded that 24/7 anxiety sounds more like OCD.  And that constant anxiety might result in panic attacks and cause
a violent shooting.  Well, yeah, but the doc said he suffered from GAD, not panic attacks.  The guy was trying to lump all anxiety
into one box. It was too frustrating to continue the dialog.  There may be more of it in the news thanks to this case.

Hopefully some true, helpful info abouit GAD will emerge too.
Bookmark and Share

Offline WorriedDude22

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 06:28:21 PM »
Worldbeat99, thank you for bringing GAD to light!  Unfortunately there are ignorant people everywhere who will never understand what we go through, unless they experience it themselves.  I agree, I feel those with GAD would be more likely to flee the flight, but everyone is different.  All we can do is speak the truth and speak from our experiences.  Hopefully more and more people will begin to understand.  But you can't change everyone!  Keep up the good work!
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 09:03:59 PM »
Hi, I think it is nonsense-----and just another ridiculous excuse for a defendant who did something for which there is no excuse.  I have never heard of GAD leading someone to commit murder either.  And I find it terrible for them to claim such a thing, because it kind of adds to the stigma of mental disorders.
Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 09:26:30 PM »
I agree, CarrieAnn.  If only he had not killed his girlfriend, then he could have been a great spokesperson for the challenges of GAD.
But coming out this way, is pretty silly.
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 08:56:12 AM »
This seems to me to be tragedy of Greek tragedy proportions. That man suffered tragically, despite his sports success, well before this tragedy. I see his innocent smile as an infant with no understanding of what nature had dished out to him. His parents divorced when he was a young child, his mother died when he was in his teens, father took off somewhere collecting guns.

None of this, of course, changes the rule "Thou shalt not kill." But did he mean to kill her? Does he have no conscience? I watch this trial and ache for them all. Does GAD play a role here? Or is it tragedy that the Greeks portrayed in their dramas a long time ago?
Bookmark and Share

Online Cuchculan

• Rec's: 169
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 09:28:37 AM »
Any mental health condition would come in handy at about this time for him. He is going to be found guilty. Last ditch effort at getting a much lesser sentence or no prison time at all. The man is clutching at straws. Cold blooded murderer.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 10:09:32 AM »
You must be that Nel Bulldog's assistant. This not an OJ Simpson. Followed that trial too. He had those dream team defenders and GOT OFF, for God's sake.

This is much more complicated. Try as I may I cannot get a good sense of what transpired. I cannot believe he wanted to kill her. There is an awful lot to tune into today. Must find the time. Like their accents, My Lady.
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2014, 11:55:19 AM »
It seems the Judge will rule tomorrow whether she will allow the psych exam in which case we may learn more about GAD.
Bookmark and Share

Online Cuchculan

• Rec's: 169
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2014, 01:13:33 PM »
I just think if he is looking to use any kind of mental health issues to try and save himself he picked the wrong one. I seriously don't thing GAD would be considered as an excuse for acting in the way he did. He was violent in the past towards her. There was a history there. I think his defence knows, pardon the big pun, he hasn't got a leg to stand on as far as the outcome is concerned. They need something. So far everything has gone against them. I know he hasn't got OJ's legal team. That was a case never to be forgotten. Different country. Different laws. I don't think they care how well he is known. His story just reeks of guilt. If he does manage to get off with it I will be very surprised. It will be bagged with the OJ trail and a guilty person having gotten away with murder. Nothing would surprise me in this day and age.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2014, 02:22:33 PM »
He was violent towards her? He did not force her to stay at his place. This does send me back to those days with OJ and that team of his. Days watching that circus. He murdered 2 people.

Pistorius' defense couldn't even coach him properly for his time with that prosecutor. He would not be tolerated here. Even if he gets off, the life he carved out for himself is done for anyway. A double tragedy.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: