Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Not freaking out but really worried  (Read 193 times)

Offline KDwight

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Not freaking out but really worried
« on: May 12, 2014, 04:26:13 PM »
Hi All

Just joined in April and hope to be of some help as well as to get some help or at least some empathy. I've suffered general anxiety for most of my life and because of situations in the past I have chronic gerd. Nexium has helped me over the past 8 years almost, but now seems to be not doing the job any longer. I also have anemia and doctor's are doing tests to rule out different possible reasons for that. So far I've had a colonoscopy due to the fact that two windows came up positive on a colon cancer test kit, for fecal occult blood, that turned out to be normal, however, the three weeks of waiting for that test caused me some serious stress and anxiety. Now I'm going to have a gastroscopy to check my stomach again after having one just two years ago. I've been on Nexium 40 mg twice a day and it seemed to help but now it's as if I'm taking nothing at all, it feels heavy after I eat, I feel vague burning, although it was never the worst symptom anyway, but I feel as though something is stuck in my throat again 24/7 and of course I broke the cardinal rule "thou shalt not google", but I think all of us here do that now and again. I'm wondering if esophageal or stomach cancer can come up in two years, even though there are usually steps towards that, like Barrett's esophagus or H pylori, which I've had neither of. I hold out a small hope that I'm not on my way out yet, I'm taking care of my elderly mother and just plain would like to be around longer, who wouldn't. I spend my days thinking of it and it really gets depressing at times. I just know that all of the symptoms that go along with a stomach cancer are there and I'm trying to steal myself for bad news, but how can you really? I know in my most reasonable moments and I would tell someone else as well, that I shouldn't worry until I know for sure after the scope, but try and put that into play as some of you know, is a whole other thing. The fact that I've been on Nexium for so long and then doubled it and still nothing just sets off an alarm in me, and I know chronic inflammation that is not under control is not a good thing. Just plain scared these days and haven't told a sole that except on here. Thanks for taking the time to read this, I don't know what I'm looking for, I know only a doctor can give me the answer I want, the wait is just misery though.
Bookmark and Share
Kim

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 162
    • Poke This Member
Re: Not freaking out but really worried
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 01:50:02 PM »
My mother was on Nexium for over a year to clear up some bacteria they detected in her when they put the camera down and up her. She could have easily jumped to the wrong conclusions. The thing with hospitals and testing is this. If something major is wrong they will tell you there and then on the day. They won't send you home and say ' see you in a month or two ' if they spot something that needs attention. These days they are more direct with patients. Yes, if they see something they have to take a sample of and test, if would take a week or so. If serious they would look into straight away. Again I recall my mother having a mole removed. She had the results back in three days. To them they needed to test it straight away. The whole idea is to catch things in the early stages. So remain as calm as you can. They won't BS you around. If something is there they will tell you there and then. May just be a form of acid. Have had lots of that over the years and it can burn in the stomach. Plus it can felt in the throat area. Your mind is racing ahead to the worst answers.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Tags: