Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: ALS scare  (Read 335 times)

Offline madmexican808

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
ALS scare
« on: May 12, 2014, 04:10:36 PM »
Just this past 2 months, I had a rabies scare from a dog and the doctor said I was fine due to circumstances and I found out the dog was someone's pet and they are still alive. Just 5 days ago, after an intense workout I noticed my neck was twitching where the pulse area was. I thought I needed water but it went away about 2-3 hours after. The next day I felt fine and then when i went to workout again it twitched in the same spot again. I was freaking out and I decided to look up on google about muscle twitching and ALS pops up and it is one of the symptoms. Sure enough I start freaking out more and start checking body constantly for twitching. Just 2 days ago, my left forearm was tightening up a little bit, and I am not too sure if it was due to laying on bed with laptop or another bad disease. I keep thinking my arm or leg is weak because it is one of symptoms, It went away when I went to go workout again and it came back when I stopped and layed in bed relaxing. I haven't went to the doctor yet because I think it is my anxiety kicking in but I am not sure. I am embarrassed to go back to the doctor because I went in there many times during the rabies scare. Anyone know if it is just me doing it to myself or is something bad? I am 20 and an athlete
Bookmark and Share

Online Descent

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Only thing to fear is fear itself
    • Poke This Member
Re: ALS scare
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 05:35:06 PM »
From everything I've heard, twitching is a late stage sign of ALS. ALS does not present with twitching, it usually presents with some sort of profound muscle weakness (ACTUAL real weakness, not perceived) or serious muscle malfunction.

Occasional muscle spasms and twitching are common things for me and I notice them more when I'm anxious. I have a pinched nerve in my neck and I also recently found out I have a vitamin D deficiency. These are not scary things.

At age 20, your chances of having ALS are practically non-existent. Don't google and don't jump to the worst case scenario, you don't have ALS.
Bookmark and Share
Currently afraid of: Bacterial infections, toxic ingestions

Online Rasalhauge

• Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 05:38:25 PM »
Just this past 2 months, I had a rabies scare from a dog and the doctor said I was fine due to circumstances and I found out the dog was someone's pet and they are still alive. Just 5 days ago, after an intense workout I noticed my neck was twitching where the pulse area was. I thought I needed water but it went away about 2-3 hours after. The next day I felt fine and then when i went to workout again it twitched in the same spot again. I was freaking out and I decided to look up on google about muscle twitching and ALS pops up and it is one of the symptoms. Sure enough I start freaking out more and start checking body constantly for twitching. Just 2 days ago, my left forearm was tightening up a little bit, and I am not too sure if it was due to laying on bed with laptop or another bad disease. I keep thinking my arm or leg is weak because it is one of symptoms, It went away when I went to go workout again and it came back when I stopped and layed in bed relaxing. I haven't went to the doctor yet because I think it is my anxiety kicking in but I am not sure. I am embarrassed to go back to the doctor because I went in there many times during the rabies scare. Anyone know if it is just me doing it to myself or is something bad? I am 20 and an athlete

Talking from personal experience I would say that it´s anxiety. Intermittent twitching and intermittent (perceived) weakness is by no means an indication of ALS, especially not at your age. Both anxiety and exhaustion (and stress and so many more benign things) are lightyears more likelly. Again, talking from personal experience, most of my symptoms are intermittent and highly corelates to my level of anxiety (I suffer from GAD and many more "fun" diagnoses). Seeing as you are writing in the Hypochondria section, and from your story, I would veture to guess that you are suffering from Hypochondria=) based on that, the last thing you´d want to do is to Google symptoms. Trust me, the more symptoms you read about, the more symptoms you´ll get.
Bookmark and Share

Offline madmexican808

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 05:52:03 PM »
From everything I've heard, twitching is a late stage sign of ALS. ALS does not present with twitching, it usually presents with some sort of profound muscle weakness (ACTUAL real weakness, not perceived) or serious muscle malfunction.

Occasional muscle spasms and twitching are common things for me and I notice them more when I'm anxious. I have a pinched nerve in my neck and I also recently found out I have a vitamin D deficiency. These are not scary things.

At age 20, your chances of having ALS are practically non-existent. Don't google and don't jump to the worst case scenario, you don't have ALS.

Well ***** They don't tell you that online.
Bookmark and Share

Online Descent

• Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Only thing to fear is fear itself
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 06:20:23 PM »

Haha no they don't. Don't believe everything you read. Symptom "checkers" are the worst thing ever for hypos.
Bookmark and Share
Currently afraid of: Bacterial infections, toxic ingestions

Offline madmexican808

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 06:53:36 PM »

Haha no they don't. Don't believe everything you read. Symptom "checkers" are the worst thing ever for hypos.

well is their a name for twitches that have nothing to do with ALS?
Bookmark and Share

Online Rasalhauge

Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 08:08:15 PM »

That would be benign fasciculations (most likelly misspelled though). Twitching and such is a very common anxiety/stress symptom
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nk904

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 08:43:11 PM »
Very common with anxiety. My legs twitch non stop and have been for four months. Like they said above, you'd have weakness THAN twitching. The rare cases where they 'noticed twitching' before are all circumstantial. When they went to the neuro he saw problems (weakness and such). After a clean neuro exam and time you'll have this pass. Private message me if you need to talk. I'm 22, also.
Bookmark and Share

Offline madmexican808

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 10:16:40 PM »

That would be benign fasciculations (most likelly misspelled though). Twitching and such is a very common anxiety/stress symptom

Seriously???
Bookmark and Share

Online Rasalhauge

Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 05:31:29 AM »

Seriously???

Seriously what? Both benign fasciculations syndrome (BFS) and twitching from anxiety is totally harmless and non-indicative of ALS
Bookmark and Share

Offline madmexican808

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 10:45:33 AM »

.  I worked out intensely 2 days ago and I think my forearm sore and stiff hand is als. (sparring mma). I may have to letmy pride go and get meds

Seriously???

Seriously what? Both benign fasciculations syndrome (BFS) and twitching from anxiety is totally harmless and non-indicative of ALS
Bookmark and Share

Offline madmexican808

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 11:36:14 AM »

Talking from personal experience I would say that it´s anxiety. Intermittent twitching and intermittent (perceived) weakness is by no means an indication of ALS, especially not at your age. Both anxiety and exhaustion (and stress and so many more benign things) are lightyears more likelly. Again, talking from personal experience, most of my symptoms are intermittent and highly corelates to my level of anxiety (I suffer from GAD and many more "fun" diagnoses). Seeing as you are writing in the Hypochondria section, and from your story, I would veture to guess that you are suffering from Hypochondria=) based on that, the last thing you´d want to do is to Google symptoms. Trust me, the more symptoms you read about, the more symptoms you´ll get.

does pain come with it? or tightness? my forearm feels like it is sort of tight. it came and went away. now its sore and idk if I am freaking myself out again due to an intense workout. I am just crazy
Bookmark and Share

Offline NytViolet

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2014, 01:39:48 PM »
 ;D Descent and the others are absolutely right; I wasted a YEAR of my life convinced I had ALS because of Twitching, PERCEIVED weakness in my arms, legs, etc.  I saw a total of 3 neurologists on 4 separate occasions and had Electro-conduction studies, strength tests, etc.  Everything was normal.  But I kept waiting for the day I wouldn't be able to move a leg / arm and I drove myself INSANE.  Check out "benign fasciculation syndrome" -- it's exactly what hte name implies (benign).  I have fibromyalgia, which is also responsible for twitching, but that's another story, and I'm not saying you have fibro.  I've had fasciculations / twitches for 17 years now, and I still manage a home and family, work full time and am here talking to you.  Twitching means nothing.  With ALS, the twitches present in the end stage of the disease as the muscles waste.  So many other things can cause this (Benign Fasciculation Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, severe anxiety, sugar, energy drinks, caffeine, etc.).  You DO NOT have ALS... I'd bet any amount of money on it.  Hugs to you!
Bookmark and Share
God does not give us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Offline madmexican808

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2014, 01:53:15 PM »
;D Descent and the others are absolutely right; I wasted a YEAR of my life convinced I had ALS because of Twitching, PERCEIVED weakness in my arms, legs, etc.  I saw a total of 3 neurologists on 4 separate occasions and had Electro-conduction studies, strength tests, etc.  Everything was normal.  But I kept waiting for the day I wouldn't be able to move a leg / arm and I drove myself INSANE.  Check out "benign fasciculation syndrome" -- it's exactly what hte name implies (benign).  I have fibromyalgia, which is also responsible for twitching, but that's another story, and I'm not saying you have fibro.  I've had fasciculations / twitches for 17 years now, and I still manage a home and family, work full time and am here talking to you.  Twitching means nothing.  With ALS, the twitches present in the end stage of the disease as the muscles waste.  So many other things can cause this (Benign Fasciculation Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, severe anxiety, sugar, energy drinks, caffeine, etc.).  You DO NOT have ALS... I'd bet any amount of money on it.  Hugs to you!

how do you know you are dealing with muscle wasting? do you feel pain? cramps?
Bookmark and Share

Offline NytViolet

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2014, 04:50:50 PM »
ALS moves FAST. Muscle wasting would show as in you would start dragging a foot, be unable to pick up a coffee mug, and the muscles would be noticeably smaller on one arm or leg.  I get cramps all the time (legs, stomach muscles, jaw) but it's usually dehydration or I need a vitamin.  Twitches and cramps are very common. 
Bookmark and Share
God does not give us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Tags: