Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Newbie on the Board  (Read 96 times)

Offline moonhippie

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Newbie on the Board
« on: May 12, 2014, 03:40:31 PM »
Hey everyone, I'm new here, but not new to anxiety. Ive had it on and off since 2006 when i had my first bout of thinking I was dying from a heart attack. I was on Ciprolex for a few years which helped DRAMATICALLY...and life was great! After 2years on the medication i weaned off with my Dr's help and was fine up until the birth of m daughter last february (2013) even through infertility and a huge move i did fine...due to Breast feeding i went on 25mg of Zoloft a day and it seemed to help really well until about 2 months ago...i noticed i was "noticing" my heart beat more again, i started having the racing thoughts again and then i forgot a dose,then we went away for easter andi forgot to take the pills so then i thought why even bother since im having issues anyways and stopped taking them. BAD IDEA! It took weeks for the brain zaps to subside and now I am back to where I was after my daughter was born. I am CONSTANTLY thinking I have breast cancer (I had a lump right after my milk came in that was treated as mastitis but wouldnt go away...had multiple ultrasounds and saw a Sx and was told it was just normal breast feeding tissue) I have actually bruised myself palpating my breast so much "thinking" i feel something...my husband says they both feel identical and that its once again all in my head. I always think I have a heart condition or that I am going to die in my sleep. I'm constantly taking deep breaths to "make sure" there is no problems breathing. ARGH I feel like i am going out of my head all over again! I have a pain now in the middle of my rib cage sort of towards my left breast which is why i started thinking BC again...but it feels like a pulled muscle/nerve bundle of course try telling my brain that! I have NO patience at all which is NOT ideal with a 14 month old and i am angry and yelling constantly. I can't live like this! I am seeing my Dr on friday about things and having the nurse check my breasts (even though i know there is no lump...) because we want to try and have another baby come the fall I am hesitant to go back on the zoloft due to the risk of birth defects. Anyone else take anything while pregnant/breastfeeding and have some suggestions? I have a friend who was on prozac her entire pregnancy and is now BFing without issues.

I am just SO tired of my brain never shutting up, never letting me relax or feel normal unless i am on an SRRI. I was hoping to avoid drugs but its seeming less and less like that is a possibility for me.
Bookmark and Share

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 21
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Newbie on the Board
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 04:20:00 PM »
Hi MH, and welcome to Anxiety Zone!  My name is Chuck, and I am one of the Global Moderators here on the site.

You are now a member of our community, where you will find support and advice from other members in similar situations.   It's always nice to find someone else who understands, and to know you're not alone.

We have sections in the forum that address specific concerns, so feel free to post or start a new topic in the section that best fits your situation.  Feel free to explore the rest of the forum.  You may find the other topics helpful, and you may be able to offer advice or support to someone else.

We also have a chat room for members over the age of 18.  Once you have made three meaningful posts, you will be allowed access to the chat room.

MH, it might becoming apparent to you that many anxiety and/or depressant disorders are chronic, lifelong conditions.  These disorders have a true organic origin.  If you had diabetes that required insulin everyday to protect your health and live a normal lifestyle, I would assume you would take it.  Anxiety and depression can be no different.  I suffer from panic disorder with panic attacks, I'm on anti-depressant therapy, and I plan on being on an anti-depressant for the rest of my life.

Here is a quote from Insights (Ian), who spends a great deal of time on the Medications and Therapy section of the forum, replying to member's questions...

"Apart from Paxil (paroxetine), there is no clear evidence that antidepressants harm the fetus. Some studies have found increased incidences of rare birth defects, however, these have been mostly small scale and there is little consistency in the defects found which suggests the findings owe more to statistical 'noise' than an effect of the meds.

You need to also be aware that uncontrolled maternal anxiety and/or depression can harm the baby too, both immediately and in the longer term. Babies born to anxious or depressed mothers tend to have lower birth weights (PDF), be born prematurely and have impaired neuronal development (PDF). As children and adults they are more prone to asthma, dyslexia and to have learning difficulties. They are also much more likely to develop anxiety disorders and/or depression later in life.

If you're planning to start a family I urge you to thoroughly explore you options with you family doctor and either an obstetrician or gynecologist."  Insights (Ian)

Some very good food for thought...

Again, welcome to Anxiety Zone, MH.  The very best to you!...  Chuck :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share

Offline moonhippie

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Newbie on the Board
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 12:01:02 AM »
Thank you for your insight! This is why I am going to see my dr on friday. I just always had hoped I could be the one in my family who could make a go of it without always being on drugs. I know now that this is a very unrealistic dream. My mother is bi polar, my brother has anxiety like me and  even my dad is currently on anti depressants. Genetically speaking, i am screwed (ha ha) but I DO want to make the best of things for my daughter and any future children. She is only 14 months old right now, but I know she will soon start to notice that mommy isn't nearly as laid back and "cool" as daddy is. I will research the board you mentioned!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: