Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Fear of medication and more.  (Read 249 times)

Offline tnrocks

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Fear of medication and more.
« on: May 12, 2014, 03:05:11 PM »
Recently I was prescribed .25 Xanax and 20 mg Cymbalta. My doctor told me to take the Xanax a couple days before I start the cymbalta. I used to be on Xanax when I was in my early 20s and had no fear of it. Now I am 34 and I'm petrified of taking it.

Last year I had to go somewhere that was an hour away. I stuck a half of an .5 Xanax under my tongue and let most of it dissolve. In about 10/20 minutes I felt so calm and relaxed. It was a feeling I haven't experienced in years. Well since I was given the .25 last month I broke it in half and crushed it up. I then was putting the powder under my tongue a little at a time for the next half an hour or so. I never really felt it working? I then went out with my wife to the mall and she was driving, I told her it felt like my chest was tight. About a couple minutes later my heart started to race and beat out of my chest. I called my brother who takes Xanax and he told me to calm down. It was not a side effect of the medicine. He thinks I really didn't even have enough in my system. He calmed me down and I felt better. Still a little uneasy but that was it. Now since then I afraid to take the Xanax at all. I'm afraid I had a side effect??

Please help

Rob
Bookmark and Share

Offline Alecia6

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Fear of medication and more.
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 09:15:07 AM »
.25mg is half the dose of .5mg. So your brother is most likely right, you didn't take enough for it to do anything.
Though I know how you feel. I am anxious over my meds as well and I never was before. Always worrying that they are going to affect me differently this time. It makes no sense, as they have always done nothing but good for me.
Best thing to do is to rationalize it and to keep telling yourself that this med is helpful not harmful, it will makes things better. I do that every time I take my meds now. Some days it's not that bad at all, some days it's more difficult. But I do the best with it that I can. And I hope you can too.
Bookmark and Share

Offline tnrocks

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 03:15:38 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I agree with you and as much as I know a lot of my problems can be fixed or a little help with getting better I just can't break the thought of taking a pill that can make me worse. Sometimes I feel like a coward and not tough because something so small has me beat mentally and physically.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Alecia6

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 05:49:39 PM »
I unfortunately can relate to that exactly. It's almost like I've gotten myself into a protective mode and for whatever reason, pills have been on the forefront of me feeling like they could possibly be dangerous.
Though coincidentally, I've never once had a bad outcome with any pill, or pills I have ever taken. In fact, it's been just the opposite, pills have actually gotten me better many times.
I wish I could explain this to my brain and be done with this fear already, because it really is so tiring and make life more difficult than it has to be.
If you come up with any answer's, please let me know. Otherwise, you can picture me doing the exact same thing as you and cringing and fighting my way through the stupid pill taking..lol. Sigh..we can overcome this. For some reason, I do honestly believe that.
Bookmark and Share

Offline vamoose

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 06:50:31 PM »
Wow I'm the SAME way.  I get paranoid about literally every medication I take.  Even ibuprofin for gods sake lol.  Last night I had to take some for my sore throat and then wound up awake and paranoid for about an hour because it was a higher dosage than I normally take and I had had a glass of wine at dinner.  Was convinced I was going to have liver failure or something lol.  Pathetic.  Anyway, I had similar 'symptoms' after taking my .25 mg dosage of xanax for the first couple of times.  It was all in my head though of course.  My mind was waiting so anxiously for something drastic to happen that it started creating false symptoms like tingly feet and increased heart rate.  Don't feel like a coward.  You aren't at all.  Like others said, you just have to try and rationalize to yourself that the dosage you are on is quite low and you're likely so anxious just by over thinking things that the medication isn't even strong enough to conquer over the heart racing, etc.  That's why you were feeling those 'symptoms'. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline tnrocks

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 10:29:23 PM »
That's exactly I how I feel. If I somehow get the pill down I am expecting some strange feeling immediately. I'm very afraid to take the Xanax. I used to take when needed about 15 years ago and it helped me. I didn't suffer the way I do now. The only medicine I'll take is Advil (but it has to be liquid gel Lol)

I just have in my head to many what If's?? What if I just take it and my heart races and I can't make it stop? The Xanax is my safety net if I am real bad so now what do I have to feel safe?? What if it makes me suicidal? What if I do something uncontrollable? Man I hate thinking like this!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: