Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: College is the worst for us anxious types!  (Read 35 times)

Offline Bats

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
College is the worst for us anxious types!
« on: May 12, 2014, 03:23:33 AM »
I've dealt with anxiety for a really long time, about as long as I can remember. I've been seeing therapists off and on since I was 8, which was when I started having full blown panic attacks. I'm currently a senior in the history department at my local college and I have a lot of ambition and dreams as to what I want to do in the field. I've been lucky enough to have found a wonderful therapist, and she's been helping me work through some of the ways in which anxiety hurts me with regards to school, but I'm having a really hard time.

School is something that has always been important to me. In the past the structure and the educational content of school made the classroom feel safe and engaging. Since I've been in college I've felt more and more alienated by school. I care a lot about my performance, and I am constantly comparing myself to others. I also tend to care a lot about what my professors think of me, to the point that I am paralyzed by fear of angering or upsetting them. Because of my anxiety, I have a hard time organizing myself well enough to work ahead on assignments. I tend to avoid situations that cause anxiety or stress and therefore avoid assignments until I have no choice but to face them (the night before a deadline). I generally get really good grades, but last year I failed a class because I became so anxious about falling behind. I'm afraid that I am in the process of doing so again.

I think this is probably a pretty common issue for college students with various anxiety disorders. How does your anxiety affect your experience in school? What has helped you to plan better and deal with communicating with professors? Does anyone have advice on coming to terms with the fact that having an anxiety disorder makes engaging in academia a struggle?
Bookmark and Share

Online Cuchculan

• Rec's: 161
    • Poke This Member
Re: College is the worst for us anxious types!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 09:26:34 AM »
Welcome to the forum. Good to have you as a member. Here you are with like minded people. People who understand. As we all suffer from something or other. So feel free to ask any questions. Our members are always willing to help others out. Good chatroom too. 3 posts to enter the room.

Find the correct section of the forum that suits your condition and create a new topic on it. This is just a welcome section. Never really get the same amount of help in this section as you would on the other sections of the forums. So whatever one suits the questions you are asking. Get much better answers.
All users of the chatroom must be 18 years old or over. The room is off limits to anybody under the age of 18.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline aakawolf

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: College is the worst for us anxious types!
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 09:32:35 PM »
Im actually in college and this is where my anxiety started. Being stressed out as a senior and dealing with issues with my bf have caused slot of symptoms. i didn't even know i was developing anxiety. I was starting to get more and more nervous to speak in front of the class. Now I'm always a little nervous but it developed to me constantly thinking about it for days before.  :fragend005: this semester my gastritis came back and that stemmed up a lot of anxiety and its been getting worse ever since. Im pretty sure i have health anxiety. Right now my jaw is sore typing this and my eyes feel funny. Lots of head pressure and fatigue.  I thought i was having heart attack today and was going to rush to the e.r but my chest pain went away and i found this forum and now I'm hear typing this and procrastinating my primatology studies for my final exam tomorrow. Im hoping my anxiety will go away once i walk that stage saturday. I also was prescribed lorazepam but have taken none because i believe i can fight this. So your not alone and college can be a hard place to deal with this. Just have people you can trust by your side.
Bookmark and Share