Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Recent intense LYMPHOMA Fear...  (Read 355 times)

Offline Descent

• Rec's: 1
  • Only thing to fear is fear itself
    • Poke This Member
Recent intense LYMPHOMA Fear...
« on: May 12, 2014, 01:11:50 AM »
Ugh. Okay, I've felt pretty alright lately, I've even talked other people down from the lymphoma scare train. Unfortunately, now I need some convincing... :(

So lately I've had a pretty bad body wide itch, and of course it gets worse when I get nervous. I HOPE it's just a combo of allergies (I've had bad seasonal allergies this year) and anxiety...

Also there's the fact that I lost about 20 pounds (160 to 140) in the past 3 months. However I was dealing with bad gastritis issues and was on a limited healthier diet for a while. I've also been mostly avoiding gluten and sugar until recently. Now I can't seem to gain much weight back, which doesn't help my anxiety. I told my Doctor, he was surprised I lost so much, but not worried about it.

And then I've been having lymph node pain (good thing? Aren't all lymphoma's painless??) and minor swelling. I had an allergic reaction to something back on Wednesday.

I also recently started drinking coffee again a few days ago... this might be contributing to my worsening anxiety and itching... a shame cause it helps with my IBS.

Please? Anyone? I'd like to be back on the road to "recovery", not fearing another new disease...  :(
Bookmark and Share
Generally afraid of: Bacterial infections, toxic ingestions

Offline Worry2Much

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Recent intense LYMPHOMA Fear...
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 01:28:42 AM »
Like you I recently went down this road with this fear. My lymph nodes felt larger and I constantly was checking them which made it worse. I at the time was dealing with sinus issues AND a tooth infection which happened to be a tooth right below my sinus. Then the one swollen tonsil which honestly may still be but I won't look. It doesn't hurt or affect my eating so why bother with it.

They do say that lymph nodes are painless and mine were a little painful.
I was having random night sweats and itching so bad.
All those things went away. I really think you are ok and it is allergies.
Bookmark and Share

Offline cameronj

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 01:41:29 AM »
I have personally found that coffee overstimulates me and I will begin obsessing over various things. It honestly sounds like you have nothing to worry about. I have also been dealing with fears of lymphoma lately. Please realize that the likelihood of it being lymphoma is incredibly slim (i think like 0.8%, which means that there is a 99.2% chance that you are absolutely fine!!!!!!). Hopefully that reassures you to a certain extent. Just try to not feel your lymph nodes because that will only continue to aggregate them and avoid googling symptoms at all costs.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Descent

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 02:33:43 AM »
Slim, yes. Trying to calm myself down. I will say that I don't have a fever or night sweats (not major anyways). Plus the "swelling" of one of the nodes seems to have gone down. Good sign, I know.

It's the itching that has really thrown me off, but I know this can easily be anxiety/stress/allergies.

Yeah, the coffee seems to be doing a number on me. Thanks for the reassurances guys. I know not to poke at my lymph nodes.  :P

If I had lymphoma, I would be way sicker and the swelling would be way worse... least that's what I try telling myself...
Bookmark and Share

Offline cameronj

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 03:39:28 AM »
Just try to push it out of your mind. Thinking it will just cause a bunch of unwanted physiological symptoms.

I think the itching is definitely one of those three things you mentioned.

No problem! Good luck. I'm dealing with a similar fear and we will both get through this completely fine!

Yes, exactly! My grandfather had large cell (aggressive) lymphoma and he had been feeling lethargic, constantly sick, and just not right for 6 or 7 months before he was ever diagnosed. He was extremely unhealthy and was diagnosed with stage 3 lymphoma.  He ended up beating it and went on to live another 15 years. I think the main problem with a lot of us (or at least me personally) is that we think that cancer is a death sentence when it really isn't.

Keep up the positive thoughts and try to distract yourself whenever you encounter a negative one
Bookmark and Share

Offline Descent

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 04:17:56 AM »
Funny thing is that the itching could be any number of things or combos at this point. Like I've noticed I have poor circulation recently, as in I bruise easily and my hands and legs fall asleep all the time. I even briefly thought I had blood cancer, go figure. :P I had a healthy CBC recently so I'm not worried about that now.

Anyways, poor circulation could be causing my itchiness. It could be any number of things, its a shame I'm jumping to awful conclusions...

Sorry about your grandfather, it's inspiring to know that he beat back his illness. And I also know lymphoma is usually a very curable cancer (least from everything I've heard/read)... that still doesn't mean that I want it!  :laugh3: So unless my lymph nodes get crazy or I start running a fever, I'll try not to panic.... ugh.  :dazed:
Bookmark and Share

Offline cameronj

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 11:52:59 PM »
It sounds more like allergies than anything else! My doctor said that signs of lymphoma also typically show up in a CBC scan and the likelihood of things changing that quickly are almost nonexistent!

I've been going through the same thing, so I feel your pain. Just try to push the symptoms out of your head.

The symptoms are too vague on the various websites. One of my friends had a friend diagnosed in September with lymphoma and he was confined to his bed for 2 weeks because his headaches were so bad. I would bet everything that you are absolutely fine. 

I really wonder why so many of us are freaking out about neck lymph nodes right now.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Descent

• Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 02:38:47 AM »
Oh I read that they don't always show up on CBC's, so it's nice to hear otherwise from an actual doctor and not Google MD. :P

The itching is a lil better today, it's apparently worse at night and usually only on my chest. How weird, I figure (hope!) lymphoma itching is widespread and non-stop.... my itch comes and goes
Bookmark and Share

Offline cameronj

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 11:39:12 PM »
He said that really only applies if your doctor doesn't have a record of your CBC or if it's been like 4-6 years since your last one. But if it's been recent, then the doctor would've been able to notice it a fluctuation or discrepancy in your blood count!

Yes, the itching would be non-stop and widespread (that's what the doctor said). He said its extremely difficult for the average person to precisely pinpoint lymph nodes in their own neck, so there's a good possibility it could just be a tendon or ligament. In addition, he said the people who come in with lymphoma almost always have serious other symptoms like not being able to get out of bed, collapsing, difficulty breathing, and etc. 

To put it into perspective, he said that there's a greater possibility of walking across the street and getting hit by a car then getting diagnosed with lymphoma.

Hope you're feeling better!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Descent

• Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 01:44:25 AM »
My itch turned out to be an allergic rash. So no worries there. A doctor I saw today said the same thing, that even if it was subtle, that there would be certain abnormalities in my WBC's if I had it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 05:58:48 AM »
You will not start gaining until your body plateaus out.  I had lost 26 pounds in ONE month (137 - 111) due to SEVERE anxiety and hardly eating a THING!  When I was 112 I began eating more normally and feeling better and eating more and more like usual...  I then dropped to 111!  (freaked me out big time!)    I then SLOWLY climbed.   It's like a car hitting a brick wall at 60mph, the car may stop, but you continue to fly forward at 60mph.  So with losing weight you may even LOSE another pound before you plateau and start to regain.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: lymphoma