Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Do you have Costochondritis???  (Read 216 times)

Offline JesserCat88

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Do you have Costochondritis???
« on: May 11, 2014, 10:08:02 PM »
Hello, I am a 26 year old female who has been battling this horrendous chest pain since August of 2013. Coincidentally this was the first time I ever panicked in my life as well. Anyway I want to give you my symptoms and I am really hoping to be able to get in touch with someone or people with this same condition so we can maybe support each other?
My left side is the side that was hit. I thought for sure it was a heart attack. I do not have the typical ribs as the problem ribs, all of the ribs along the left hand side are inflamed. I get pain in the front, on the side of my body, directly lined up with my left breast, just under my arm, and on my back along the spine there. My left arm is affected as well and it's caused it to pop, click, and lock in certain positions. I am in constant pain and I no longer respond to over the counter NSAIDS. Occasionally I have difficulty breathing like my ribs don't want to expand or something. This has been the center of my anxiety for months and maybe if there is someone out there with the same symptoms could you talk to me a bit just so I can kind of really feel like I'm going to be okay? Thank you
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Do you have Costochondritis???
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 04:57:15 AM »
I don't have it, but a friend of mine did.  She said the pain was unbearable, but she's fine now.
Bookmark and Share

Offline famv5

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Content
    Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Do you have Costochondritis???
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 08:57:54 AM »
My doctor diagnosed me with costochondritis last year, however, I'm not really sure I have that.  I believe costochondritis is pain in the upper mid chest region.  My pain was in the middle of my chest along the left breast wall.  It was a deep, aching pain that also hurt and was extremely tender to touch.  It also radiated to my left arm, shoulder and upper back.  My doctor put me on a cortosteriod for seven days which seemed to help.  She explained how there is a cluster of nerves in that center region that can radiate to the arm, shoulder and back when aggravated.

I still get some pain off and on in that region but nothing like that original outbreak. 

I'm not sure if where you are experiencing pain would be costochondritis.   Have you done anything recently like lifting anything heavy or moving a certain way that might have aggravated that area?  Try alternating between heat and cold, too, to alleviate the pain.  By doing heat and cold, you confuse the nerve and help with pain. 

I hope you get some relief.
Bookmark and Share
"Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths" - Charles H. Spurgeon

Tags: