Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Lymphoma FEAR/PANIC!  (Read 259 times)

Offline cameronj

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Lymphoma FEAR/PANIC!
« on: May 11, 2014, 08:52:17 PM »
Hi, I am new to this website and have been suffering with hypochondria for a little over a year now.  I was convinced that I had a brain tumor several months ago and had a bunch of tests done. Everything was fine, and the doctor also suggested that I have complete blood work (to see if my anxiety was being caused by an over active thyroid or something). All of my blood work came back completely fine.

So fast forward to several days ago, and I have been absolutely convinced that I have lymphoma or something else is wrong with me. the left side of my jaw has been really painful (i think from chewing too many cliff bars) and I started poking around on the left side of my neck. I was sure that I felt a lump, so I continued to poke around and now it feels slightly bigger (i can't really pinpoint it) and more painful. I made the mistake of googling symptoms for lymphoma and even though I don't really have any of the symptoms besides the swollen lymph node; I am convinced that there is something wrong. I guess I am convinced that I have found something wrong and my obsession is to catch it early on before it progresses. 

Please help!
Bookmark and Share

Online ShawnW

• Rec's: 21
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Lymphoma FEAR/PANIC!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 10:05:48 PM »
No one can examine you over the net.  If you believe it is swollen, ask your doc to check it out.  No real way around that.  In all likelihood you inflamed it by playing with it.  Stop feeling around on your neck.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Offline cameronj

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 12:34:49 AM »
Thank you! I'm trying to convince myself it's nothing since it wasn't a problem until i started poking around. Yeah i think i made it worse by poking it because now the whole side of my neck is sore. Do you know what "rubbery" and "moveable" means exactly? I feel like i've read 20 different things about what type of lymph nodes are normal
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 04:52:49 AM »
It's probably not something a layperson can tell - just see a doctor.  But don't worry about it, if you can help it.  I would bet everything I have on you just having an irritated node from poking at it so much.
Bookmark and Share

Online ShawnW

• Rec's: 21
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 01:23:56 PM »
Thank you! I'm trying to convince myself it's nothing since it wasn't a problem until i started poking around. Yeah i think i made it worse by poking it because now the whole side of my neck is sore. Do you know what "rubbery" and "moveable" means exactly? I feel like i've read 20 different things about what type of lymph nodes are normal

Only a doc can tell you if this node is problematic.  Go see one.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 09:00:06 PM »
I asked my doc how he could tell, and he said that after being a doctor so long you just sort of learn to tell which ones are troublesome.  He did give some examples of how to tell but said it's mostly just experience being a doctor.  So we should probably all stop trying to interpret our nodes ourselves!
Bookmark and Share

Offline cameronj

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 11:33:32 PM »
Thank you for the advice... I found out that it wasn't even a lymph node! God I feel crazy. It was just a ligament in my neck that I was worrying about
Bookmark and Share

Tags: