Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: I feel like I'm starting to go mad.  (Read 170 times)

Offline xLorrainex

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I feel like I'm starting to go mad.
« on: May 11, 2014, 02:37:09 PM »
I've suffered quite badly with anxiety since I was about twelve years old, I am 19 now and things were just beginning to get better for me. I could actually say I was happy and I had begun to control my hypochondria. Last November my dad passed away suddenly from a heart attack... until now, I have been fine, I've hardly felt anything terrible, and I haven't exactly mourned. The last couple of days, I was with my best friend who means the absolute world to me, I wouldn't ever know what I would do without him, and the thought went through my head. 'What if he doesn't want to be around me anymore', 'What if one day he's gone and I'll never be able to speak to him again', he himself, suffers from depression and we can relate to each other a lot, and we can talk and understand each other and he reassures me and makes me feel so much better. I just went into a complete panic and all I could think about is that I'd never be able to cope without him.

I really haven't been feeling myself since, like, I'm not completely me. He's tried to reassure me and say it's just everything that happened with my dad catching up with me. But I just want this feeling to go away, I know the more I analyze the feeling the longer it will stay with me. But I just can't stop and now I've begun to think he is fed up with me, because of how I've been these last couple of days.

I just want to get rid of this feeling and these last couple of days I feel I am unable to connect with people and especially him.
I just want some advice as to what to do.
I literally feel as if I am going crazy.  :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 23
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: I feel like I'm starting to go mad.
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 07:53:44 PM »
Hello Lorraine...

If what you are suffering from is an anxiety disorder, experiencing times that we feel we are going crazy is not uncommon.  This is nothing more than another symptom, protective reaction, of the panic disorder, itself.

Having close friends and family is indeed a Godsend, but our anxiety can also use these relationships as a dependent crutch, in which we can feel that we can't function without them.  When this occurs, this aspect of the relationship is not healthy.

Lorraine, there are very positive treatments available for anxiety/panic disorders, and I can certainly vouch for that.  I see a psychiatrist for my mental health needs.  Psychiatrists are medical doctors who can provide you with a diagnosis, prescribe medication, and develop a treatment plan specific to your needs.  I am on anti-depressant therapy.  I also see a psychologist, who is my therapist, and she is teaching me cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT).  Both the medication and therapy have turned my life around in the last six months.

I highly suggest that you seek out professional help, as I did.

The very best to you, Lorraine!...  Chuck :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share

Offline xLorrainex

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: I feel like I'm starting to go mad.
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 01:59:51 PM »
Thank you.
It makes me feel like a complete idiot, it's almost as if I have two parts to my brain.. the first is completely rational and knows that what I'm saying and feeling is completely over reacting to pretty much everything and it makes me feel like I'm losing the plot. The other half just worries, all the time, about the slightest thing. It's usually my health, but I have more control over it, because it's completely me who is making myself worry. When it's about other people, I have no control over the situation and it makes me panic, I know that the current situation is a build up of the feelings I've shut away because of my dad.

I was having counselling for a while, but it never really helped as all I ever did was talk through problems, not actually do something to prevent it.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: