Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Exploding Head Syndrome  (Read 164 times)

Offline Buddy122

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Exploding Head Syndrome
« on: May 11, 2014, 10:51:44 AM »
Anyone ever heard of Exploding Head Syndrome? Usually happens when you're about to fall asleep, you gwy a brain zap and ir wakes you up and your heart starts racing. I did some thinking and ir does seem that most of my worst panic attacks have happened when I've had one of these brain zaps while trying to relax or fall asleep. I know a lot of my other daily debilitating symptoms are from anxiety and I am slowly learning to cope. Was just wondering if anyone else has these EHS issues? It's really making it frightening to sleep.
Bookmark and Share

Offline MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 21
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Exploding Head Syndrome
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 08:12:45 PM »
Hello Buddy...  My name is Chuck, and I am one of the Global Moderators here on the Anxiety Zone site.

What you are describing as "brain zaps" is a common symptom of an anxiety/panic disorder, and not related at all to "Exploding Head Syndrome" (EHS).

A rare and relatively undocumented parasomnia event, EHS is a form of hypnagogic auditory hallucination in which one experiences a loud bang in their head.  This might sound like a gun being fired, a bomb going off, the crashing of cymbals, or any other form of loud, indecipherable noise that seems to originate from inside the head.

So EHS is an actual noise, and not a brain zap, which feels like an electrical current going through your brain.

I hope this helps to answer your question.

The very best to you, Buddy!...  Chuck :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Buddy122

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 11:21:39 PM »
Thanks for the response, I definitely appreciate it. Yeah I did some more reading up on EHS and you're right, I don't actually hear anything...but all the other signs and symptoms like fast heartbeat, body jolts, and the fact it happens when drifting off to sleep. It's never been too concerning except that's its been happening nearly every time I try to rest now. I figured it was all anxiety, its oddly comforting to know that someone else knows what I'm talking about at least. I'll try some different herbal supplements and try to just power through it. Thank you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline madmexican808

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 10:34:38 PM »
Anyone ever heard of Exploding Head Syndrome? Usually happens when you're about to fall asleep, you gwy a brain zap and ir wakes you up and your heart starts racing. I did some thinking and ir does seem that most of my worst panic attacks have happened when I've had one of these brain zaps while trying to relax or fall asleep. I know a lot of my other daily debilitating symptoms are from anxiety and I am slowly learning to cope. Was just wondering if anyone else has these EHS issues? It's really making it frightening to sleep.

Sort of like you hear a loud noise like an explosion before you fall asleep?
Bookmark and Share

Tags: