Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Strange heart palps and tingling face all new to this... this is my story  (Read 242 times)

Offline Lance1984

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hi all
Jan 2014 i exp my first panic attack, Heart race, short breath, fear of impending doom etc ambulance was called and they check me over and told me i was fine, went to my gp next morning had bloods done (fine) ECG (fine) Heart monitor for a week (fine).. been to the DR's about 4 times in the last 5 months worried about the usual symptoms the Dr doesnt seemed too concerned he says that this is just a slight glitch in my life which i will overcome, he says my health is fine just a little high blood pressure to keep a eye on, im a 30yr male active at work.. I had a few beers 2 nights ago woke up yesterday morning worried about my heart beats they were dull and hard with a burning chest sensation then today was about lunch time i had a full blown anxiety attack from nowhere, Tingling face-jaw, arms hands, felt like i couldnt swallow , my head felt like it was full like pressure and real bad dizzyness light headed which i thought all was leading to a mini stroke....... thank you for taking the time to listen to my story i know there are plenty of us seeking help im grateful for any input... cheers
Bookmark and Share

Offline DeeRuss

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hi Lance! Ok so, here's what's happening to you - you're experiencing very uncomfortable but NOT DANGEROUS physical symptoms and responses to anxiety and panic. What it sounds like to me is that you're having more of a panic attack response than just my good ol' "friend" anxiety (I have both anxiety and panic, and yes, you CAN have both). Difference being, panic manifests itself in a much more intense physical manner - the "heart attack" feeling, the shaking, sweating, tingling, disorientation, mind racing, feeling like you're going crazy or that you're dying - all that fun stuff!

Your heart is healthy! You've had all the tests, spent time in the hospital, and your Doctor says you're healthy and you've got youth on your side. What you have to try and do - and I know it's so frickin' hard - is to accept that this is what's happening, but that it's NOT life threatening but merely your body's reaction to your brain believing that it's in a dangerous situation. If you feel like it, google flight or fight. It may help you to understand what's going on. Oh and, for now, lay off the alcohol. It can worsen anxiety.

All of your symptoms are quite familiar to me - the tingling in the back of the head and the ears (I sometimes feel like the blood is creeping up the back of my head into my brain when I panic), the heart pounding, the chest ache, the nausea, the list goes on. I can relate and I know how crappy and scary it is.

Have you discussed any medication with your Doctor? Did he/she recommend a Psychiatrist? I take Zoloft and although I loathe the idea of being on meds, it really does help curb a lot of the panicky symptoms. If it's really bad and interfering with you functioning, the best drug for panic attacks in short term use is Valium (Diazepam in the generic). It can become addictive (something else I'm dealing with), yet still, my attitude is, I can keep suffering or I can take a Valium and feel a lot better in 10 minutes - so I take the Valium. Coming off of it is the hard part, but you're not there yet so don't even worry about that (and even if you DID take it, you would take it as needed - I'm in a whole other category, lol).

But maybe, and I hope for your sake this is the truth, this is just something that's happening to you now and you will get better and this won't be an ongoing thing! Please let me know how you are! Hang in there! And please, any questions you have, just ask! Hugs!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lance1984

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Thank you sooo much for your reply, im on no med's and plan not too im trying the natural way of vitamins and herbal teas... Camomile tea is very good for sleep, green tea during the day... funny because i get a different symptom every day , I say to myself "this is anxiety" but no my brain is going "na na this is serious" .. thank you again
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sleepingbear

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
If you were diabetic, would you opt out of taking insulin?  If you had high blood pressure, would you refuse medications that would keep your blood pressure in a safe range?  Anxiety/panic is a physiological response and there are medications out there that are safe and effective.  If you can't do this on your own and are miserable, consider talking with your doctor about options.  Best to you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline abigailb

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
My anxiety started out like yours - I had heart palpitations due to worrying over my financial situation during the recession in 2008 and it has escalated from there. It took me 6 YEARS to get help for it, and I have to tell you that it was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I've only been on medication for a month and I'm already feeling somewhat better. I was very against taking medication for mental health, but I think that sometimes there is just something off in our brains that we cannot fix ourselves. That is where the help comes in. I think at the very least you should consider talking with a therapist - it has helped me quite a bit. It helps you deal with your anxieties so that you don't have to take medication for the rest of your life. Best of luck.
Bookmark and Share

Offline DeeRuss

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I agree with the other posts - medication might be a good option for you. However, if you're doing well on herbal supplements and exercise and eating right and sleeping well, then more power to you! I've been on meds for 20 years and I wish I could go back and try it the more natural way. HOWEVER, there's both sides of the coin. See how you do. Take it day by day. If you really feel unwell, I agree with trying an SSRI (try and stay away from Benzodiazepines as you can become dependent on them like I have!) Hang in there!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: