Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: GAD and Hypersensitivity  (Read 158 times)

Online flyaway

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
GAD and Hypersensitivity
« on: May 11, 2014, 04:42:08 AM »
Recently I've been dealing with the feelings associated with GAD and being a highly sensitive person.  I just feel as though this is a never ending feeling of grief.  The idea of losing people - not just through death, but relationships ending, distance, time etc - is hurting so much I am feeling it physically.  I was thinking about what it's going to be like when I'm old, and the thought of how much change and loss I'll experience between now and then is making me panic.  It makes me afraid of living.  I'd rather feel nothing than feel everything.

I'm going through a huge amount of change right now, and it's all so overwhelming.  In the space of 3 months I have ended a 7 year relationship, moved house, changed jobs (where I'd been since 2008), come off some meds, travelled twice, dealt with death, applied for a visa to move to another country, and a experienced a few other big changes too - a whole other story with all that.  I just want to rewind and freeze time because it feels like life is moving so quickly and everything is changing faster than I can process it.

A lot of people I know see me as quite closed off and...well, unfeeling.  It's really just a defense mechanism.  When I think about how much I actually care, I feel so sad that I cry. I hate that I care so deeply, why can't I switch it all off? How normal are these feelings? I just wish my friends and family could understand and appreciate how much I love them.  I don't think  anyone has ever loved me like I love them :fragend005: it makes me look at myself and wonder if I am missing something?

If you've taken the time to read this, thank you. I don't feel I have anyone else to talk to about this right now.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Peanut the kidnapper (UK)

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: GAD and Hypersensitivity
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 07:10:20 AM »
You're not alone in feeling the way that you do. Trust me on that.

Acceptance is one othe four responses to stress suggested in a number of works on GAD, stress etc, and I don't see why it shouldn't apply to hypersensitivity as well.

You wouldn't believe the anguish and anxiety that I'm suffering at the moment over what to most people would be a relatively minor change. I always knew that buying a new TV was going to cause me problems - is the colour as good as the old TV, why does it sound different, is it hurting my eyes etc? I'd put off buying one for years - then, recently, my partner's grandfather died and we came into owning his TV which is virtually brand new and a huge improvemnet technologicaly on the old one. I've adapted to the change much better than I thought I would. But what's worrying me is that I can't bear to part with the old TV. I've owned it for over 20 years and, odd as it sounds, I've become emotionally attached to the thing! I accept the fact that this is odd, and I accept the fact that most people would not be this sensitive to change.

Big change or small change, if you're senstive to change that's the way that you are.

Good luck with the future. :action-smiley-065:

Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 12:45:44 PM »
Hi, I am the same way....I care, and I feel so deeply.  Been this way all my life since childhood.  I feel very strong empathy for people, animals....I cry at ASPCA commercials.  I don't have an answer for you, but I don't see being this way as a bad thing, the world needs more compassion etc.

Sounds as though you've just been through a lot of changes, ---even good change can be stressful.  Try to stay positive in your thoughts, and take everything one day at a time....

Take care! :)
Bookmark and Share

Online flyaway

• Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 01:07:05 AM »
Thank you for your responses.

I just feel so damn sad right now.  My heart is broken and I've barely stopped crying over the last few days.  It's hard to imagine this going away. 

Bookmark and Share

Tags: