Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: So worried :-(  (Read 202 times)

Offline JPL2

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
So worried :-(
« on: May 10, 2014, 07:35:40 PM »
Hi there, I suffer from severe anxiety, OCD and hypochondria. I've been on this forum before, but it has been a while. I'm overweight, I have had acid reflux disease for about three years. I smoked for two years, no more than seven cigarettes a day and have just recently quit. I was diagnosed with acid reflux about 3 years ago, I was prescribed omeprazole and took it for a few months, but it didn't work. So, I was prescribed 40 mg of Nexium a day, I've been taking that for a year or so and it has done well. Of course I had good days and bad days. But all of a sudden, three days ago I began feeling this bump in my throat when I swallow, it doesn't make it difficult to swallow I can just feel a bump moving. The pressure goes away a bit when I burp, but it is still there. I have had some mild pain/tightness in my chest as well as pain/tightness in my back and shoulder blades. Have had cold chills off and on. Have felt light headed. The back of my neck, shoulders and ears hurt off and on. My stomach is constantly upset and makes noises. At times I feel like I can hear acid sizzling in my throat. I cough every once in a while, a few times a day usually. Today though, it brought up a white ball of mucus. I have an odd metallic taste in my mouth off and on, but I also do have a tooth that needs a filling. I cannot see anything in the back of my throat, but I still feel it. I can actually swallow the bump or swelled part in my throat and then feel pain in my throat until it moves back into place. My glands hurt off and on, as does my right side near my ribs. I went to my doctor, I saw the PA and he did very little tests. He listened to my lungs, he looked at my throat and in my ears. He said that I have strep, but he didn't do a swab test and I don't see most of these symptoms listed for strep. I haven't had an endoscopy as of yet, but I am planning on making an appointment for one ASAP. But, I'm just so scared that I've got esophageal cancer. I'm only 31 and I'm not ready to die yet. I'm so scared and I am hoping that someone here can offer me some advice or insight. Thank you in advance.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jess0617

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: So worried :-(
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 07:45:00 PM »
I know it is hard to listen to your doctor but they see so many people and have so much experience that he could diagnose you with strep without doing extreme tests. Cancerous lumps are generally rock solid and don't move, and I don't think you would be able to see an esophageal tumor. My mom's boyfriend's dad died recently from esophageal cancer and he got it at 70 years old and he didn't have any symptoms like that. I am sure you are fine and most lumps are benign. Esophageal cancer is most common in older people. A lot of the symptoms you put seem anxiety related. If you think that endoscopy will ease your mind then do it, or maybe even go to a second doctor for a second opinion. Try taking the medication he prescribed you and see if it helps at all with the lump. Remember though that cancerous lumps tend not to be moveable, theyre rock solid, and they are generally painless.
Bookmark and Share

Offline JPL2

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: So worried :-(
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 12:38:06 PM »
I know it is hard to listen to your doctor but they see so many people and have so much experience that he could diagnose you with strep without doing extreme tests. Cancerous lumps are generally rock solid and don't move, and I don't think you would be able to see an esophageal tumor. My mom's boyfriend's dad died recently from esophageal cancer and he got it at 70 years old and he didn't have any symptoms like that. I am sure you are fine and most lumps are benign. Esophageal cancer is most common in older people. A lot of the symptoms you put seem anxiety related. If you think that endoscopy will ease your mind then do it, or maybe even go to a second doctor for a second opinion. Try taking the medication he prescribed you and see if it helps at all with the lump. Remember though that cancerous lumps tend not to be moveable, theyre rock solid, and they are generally painless.

Thank for the reply, I really appreciate it. I am on day three of my medication for strep, nothing has changed as of yet and I am hoping and praying that it does very soon. I read on Dr. Oz's website that a possibility could be that the acid from my acid reflux caused something to become swelled. I am hoping that one of these easy scenarios is true. Your comment made me feel a little better, because it is nice to know that my symptoms do not sound like those of someone with esophageal cancer to you. I am sorry about your loss though and my condolences to your mother's boyfriend.

The lump itself does not hurt, when I move it around it must rub against my raw throat and it hurts my throat. I have also noticed that I am having a lot more cold chills and am a lot more lightheaded than I was before. As odd as it may sound, I am hoping that this is good news and implies that it is something cold/flu/virus related. The thing that scares me is that my ribs on both sides have been aching more and more, which I have heard is a big red flag for esophageal cancer. So needless to say, I'm still stressing pretty bad. :-(
Bookmark and Share

Tags: