Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Constant Suffocation Feeling  (Read 272 times)

Offline idawmn

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Constant Suffocation Feeling
« on: May 09, 2014, 11:03:30 PM »
I was wondering if anyone has had a constant suffocation feeling 24/7 for weeks on end, no relief at all.  My other symptoms are tightness in chest at times, head in fog and insomnia.  I had never suffered anxiety attacks or panic attacks in my life and im 55 years old. This all came about a couple of weeks after having gallbladder surgery and I can't shake it.  This has been 15 weeks nonstop.  I have no worries about anything, think positive, get out despite the uncomfortable feeling, etc etc.  I had all kinds of physical testing done - all normal.  I see a therapist for a second time next week and see a meds doctor in a couple of weeks.

Is there a chance I can get this completely turned around and be my old self again through therapy and possibly the use of a med short term?

My doctor gave me Ativan and Xanax to be used on a as needed basis until I got set up properly by a therapist.  I can only get sleep by using one .5mg Ativan before bedtime.

I just want to be back to my old self.
Bookmark and Share

Online Cuchculan

• Rec's: 167
    • Poke This Member
Re: Constant Suffocation Feeling
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 05:44:23 AM »
Some people have surgery and come away feel bad after it. Nerves wise. I have known many a person who went into hospital without suffering from anxiety and came out suffering from it. Like they didn't like their time in the hospital. It left a mental scar on them. Therapy can help you out. Try and help you figure out why it made you suffer as it did. Once you find that reason you can begin to make things right again. I think, at first, it can be a case of ' what on earth is going on '. You have no idea what is happening to you. No idea why it is happening to you. You mind is looking for answers that it hasn't got. Once you get those answers and begin to make sense of them things can begin to pick up for you.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline idawmn

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 10:12:46 AM »
Thanks for your response.  It's just so odd because my time at the hospital was so uneventful because I was in for a few hours only and home again.  I was up and walking around throughout the afternoon.  Next day was painful but not unmanageable. 

I could understand maybe having this suffocation feeling and other symptoms for a couple of weeks but here I am with it 15 weeks day and night, no relief until I get to sleep thanks to Ativan.  Even then it hasn't left my body during sleep.  It's just that Ativan is powerful enough to knock me out.

I will give myself pep talks, positive talks telling myself that all is great, I'm healthy, I feel wonderful, it's a really nice day, I'm going to do this and this and this today.  This to no avail.  A few times I honestly thought it had resolved it self because the suffocation feeling was almost down to zero, I had no chest tightening, no head in fog only for it to come back the next day as it was yet I wasn't even thinking about it.

My husband still wants to believe there is something wrong, that something happened during surgery but three doctors are saying no

Thank you for your response.  Hopefully I do get those answers through therapy.  I think I also need to get my brain rewired, it's just that messed up.   No one can believe it has been 15 weeks of this constant suffocation feeling day and night.

Thank you again.
Bookmark and Share

Online algeus

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 01:24:32 PM »
Hi,

I have the same feeling for the last 10 weeks,and it's a torture,yes. I do believe that in(too) many cases when there is no obvious symptoms,the default "anxiety" diagnosis is being used by doctors to "close the case".

I'm not a doctor,but If the problem started right after the surgery I would try to rule out any issues related to a blood clots(pulmonary embolism?).
Please update us if you find any cure...
Bookmark and Share

Offline idawmn

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 02:43:04 PM »
Mine started 2 1/2 weeks after gallbladder removal. I got up one morning and found that I couldn't breathe.  The next day I went to ER and they did a CT Scan to rule out clots and all.  Nothing came back at all.  They got me back to normal breathing (was hyperventilating) and sent me home.  I have been through all kinds of testing through the pulmonologist and all is normal.   I have had an echocardiogram done - heart and arteries are fine.  Bloodwork all in the clear including arterial bloodwork (ouch). 

I'm not hyperventilating.  I breathe in and out live everyone else just have this suffocating, fog in head, chest tightening at times (comes and goes), insomnia.

I wonder if something has been subconsciously bothering me and it just happened to come out in one big attack a couple of weeks after the surgery.   There was turmoil in the family growing up, married and divorced an abusive husband, dealt with crazy inlaws from second marriage and now with my parents being elderly, having lots of health issues and me living 2200 miles away.   Through all of this though I seemed to keep a handle on it.  Maybe I'm not so strong anymore.
Bookmark and Share

Offline nomoretears

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 07:40:33 PM »
Remember that anxiety has it's root cause, so you aren't feeling this way for no reason. Health scares are worrisome, and stressful. Could be a lot of stressors are on your mind, you wouldn't be feeling this way if you were totally peachy keen.

My advice to fellow anxiety suffers is exercise daily (a good sized walk preferably relieves some tension in the body), engage in a hobby you enjoy, and socialize with friends and loved ones, it helps.

Bookmark and Share

Offline idawmn

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 08:51:53 PM »
Something is telling me that things I have gone through the years (family issues) may have manifested and just came out into one huge anxiety attack which for some reason can't turn around.  The  gallbladder surgery may have been the icing on the cake. 

I'm still hopeful it can be turned around through therapy and possibly a med.  I will fight it the best I can.

I was out today getting my haircut and shopping.  Started to feel not so great 3/4s through the shopping trip....sigh.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: