Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Starting to panic...  (Read 169 times)

Offline PsalmSeven

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Starting to panic...
« on: May 09, 2014, 09:38:22 PM »
Ok, I posted about this once before and then it seemed to have stopped, but now it's back. I've got a pain in my chest/lungs/bronchial tubes when I breath. This time I wasn't even outside or exercising. It started when I was inside, immediately after taking a warm bath this evening. I also have a tickle deep in my throat (or chest?) that comes and goes and makes me want to cough.

I'm 29 years old. I know that statistically it's unlikely that I'm having a heart attack, but what else could be causing this? The pain even went into my shoulders briefly. It's not a crippling pain, more like a bothersome ache. I took an aspirin just to be safe, but should I also go to the ER? I don't want to waste hours of everyone's time doing that if I don't have to... But I am prone to health anxiety and I can feel myself really starting to worry...

At the time of this post I've had the pain for probably about an hour. It was worse when I was up walking around making dinner, but now that I'm sitting it's not as noticeable. It might even be going away. (It usually does go away within an hour of me sitting down and resting.)

Ugh... Please help me, anyone... What are your thoughts?
Bookmark and Share

Offline spaceplus

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Starting to panic...
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 09:58:46 PM »
Have you been to a doctor recently and been checked out?
I just had 50 heart tests performed in the past 2 weeks, and was still having a panic attack earlier today. i don't know how i talked myself out of it. just tried to reason with myself, reminding myself that 2 doctors have told me my heart seems fine, etc.
i'm bloody tired of the health anxiety, really. aren't you?
maybe it will help you to know that other people are out here, convinced that they are about to die, and then an hour later are feeling fine.
i think you'll be fine. keep us posted.
Bookmark and Share

Offline PsalmSeven

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 10:40:44 PM »
Thanks spaceplus. Yes, I am very tired of health anxiety! Just yesterday I had to convince myself that a mark on my leg wasn't skin cancer... and now I'm having "heart attacks"...

I did have my heart checked out sort-of recently. It was around a year ago, I think, and they didn't find anything to be concerned about. I spoke to someone tonight who had a bronchial irritation for 3 months and their symptoms sound identical to mine. So I'm forcing myself to believe that's all it is.

It does help to know I'm not alone in these anxieties. Though I truly am sorry that you and others have to suffer with it too. :/
Bookmark and Share

Offline spaceplus

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 10:56:14 PM »
i frequently have all the convincing physical symptoms too, that ALWAYS turn out to be imaginary. it's remarkable how the mind can produce a PHYSICAL pain, etc.

a few weeks ago, i was having pain in my upper chest near my heart, that then moved to my back (behind my heart), shortness of breath, etc. they all disappeared and then i had all my heart tests done which made nonsense of the idea that i was having 'chest pain,' etc.
it's all in our heads. but once that spiral of panic anxiety begins, all reason goes out the window.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: